Dorset Echo: "Lt Lauren Webber From Chickerell Now Commanding Officer Of Royal Navy Vessel HMS Puncher"

"Meet the Royal Navy's newest sea commander who has taken control of her own ship.

Lt Lauren Webber, from Chickerell, has taken over as commanding officer of HMS Puncher following five years naval service.

The 25-year-old took charge of the ship on March 1 and is now one of the youngest sea commanders in the entire Royal Navy taking control of a crew of five who are older than her."

http://www.dorsetecho.co.uk/news/16...the_Royal_Navy_vessel_she_s_now_in_charge_of/

Seadog

War Hero
The article linked by soleil read:
one of the youngest sea commanders......

...In the future, Lauren added that she was looking at becoming a commanding officer of a frigate or a destroyer like HMS Queen Elizabeth.
The journalese detracts from a diversity good news story;
King Canute failed to command the sea and Mother Nature hasn’t relinquished Command to technology or diversity.

Queen Elizabeth is a destroyer, Puncher is a ship? WTF?

Seadog

War Hero
But when the shots were firing in anger. Would I want my daughter there.
Nor would I want Lt Webber.
How many of the old and bold who have seen action agree?
If I were leaking Claret and looking at an eternal stand easy while in contact with the Taliban, I’d want CPO Kate Nesbitt MC. There are some women who outperform some men in fraught situations. My nod to diversity is not because I’m evangelical about it, I’m not but the Navy do tend to select the right Officers for Command at all levels more often than they appoint Officers who will be found lacking. The selection of the right stuff is not confined to Officers when the appointers have the luxury of choice and aren’t just putting a bum on a seat.

I count 4 bums occupying your seat, which 3 shall I relieve of Command?

iffy

Midshipman
If I were leaking Claret and looking at an eternal stand easy while in contact with the Taliban, I’d want CPO Kate Nesbitt MC. There are some women who outperform some men in fraught situations. My nod to diversity is not because I’m evangelical about it, I’m not but the Navy do tend to select the right Officers for Command at all levels more often than they appoint Officers who will be found lacking. The selection of the right stuff is not confined to Officers when the appointers have the luxury of choice and aren’t just putting a bum on a seat.

I count 4 bums occupying your seat, which 3 shall I relieve of Command?
If you're of the old and bold and having returned to your mess following action only to find a couple of your mess mates missing and then being detailed to clamber aloft to scrape their body parts from the upperworks..
Not for my daughters or the likes of Lt Webber I would think.

If you're of the old and bold and having returned to your mess following action only to find a couple of your mess mates missing and then being detailed to clamber aloft to scrape their body parts from the upperworks..
I disagree. See the following.

************************************************************************************************************************

Medical Assistant Kate Louise NESBITT, W148827G, Royal Navy
UK Medical Group, attached C Company, 1 Rifles

The Military Cross

Attached to an Operational Mentor and Liaison Team in the Nawa District of Helmand Province, Afghanistan, Medical Assistant NESBITT lived and operated alongside the Afghan National Army in a series of deliberate offensive operations against the Taliban in Central South Afghanistan; stark contrast to her normal duties as a Medical Assistant in a Recruit Training Centre.

On 12 March 2009, Medical Assistant NESBITT’s team were ambushed near Nawa District Centre by a well-concealed and prepared enemy. Heavy and accurate fire from small arms and rocket propelled grenades poured in to the team’s position simultaneously from the northwest, west and south, pinning down the entire team. Very soon in the hail of bullets, one of the team was hit in the neck by a high velocity round; he slumped to the ground bleeding profusely and it quickly became clear that his injuries were life-threatening. Disregarding the ferocious weight of fire from the numerous enemy ambush positions, Medical Assistant NESBITT responded immediately, running some forty metres through a storm of fire to reach the casualty who was struggling to breathe with his vital signs showing he was on the point of collapse and worse. With utter disregard for her own safety and with total focus, Medical Assistant NESBITT set about saving the life of her colleague.

Despite the intensity and accuracy of the enemy fire – throughout, rounds were ripping into the ground beside her – Medical Assistant NESBITT worked on regardless, to prevent further blood loss, insert an airway and to administer intravenous fluids. At times she chose to stand in the face of the enemy fire in order to administer the best possible care. Her actions stabilised the casualty and made possible his movement to an emergency helicopter landing site out of range of the enemy. The hospital Clinical Director who subsequently received the casualty later reported that the decisions Medical Assistant NESBITT had made that afternoon had made the difference between life and death. Later that same afternoon Medical Assistant NESBITT came to the aid of a colleague who had succumbed to the heat during the fire-fight and subsequent extraction of the casualty, and later that evening she tended several Afghan National Army casualties of an indirect fire attack on the patrol base in which she was stationed. Three days later Medical Assistant NESBITT was again in the thick of the action, as the first responder to the casualties of an improvised explosive device which detonated under the vehicle behind that which she had been travelling in. Throughout, the quality of her work and her selflessness were outstanding.

Medical Assistant NESBITT’s actions throughout a series of offensive operations were exemplary; under fire and under pressure her courage and commitment were inspirational and in the very highest traditions of the Service.

Award announced in London Gazette No 59182 dated 11 September 2009, page 15640

I disagree. See the following.

************************************************************************************************************************

Medical Assistant Kate Louise NESBITT, W148827G, Royal Navy
UK Medical Group, attached C Company, 1 Rifles

The Military Cross

Attached to an Operational Mentor and Liaison Team in the Nawa District of Helmand Province, Afghanistan, Medical Assistant NESBITT lived and operated alongside the Afghan National Army in a series of deliberate offensive operations against the Taliban in Central South Afghanistan; stark contrast to her normal duties as a Medical Assistant in a Recruit Training Centre.

On 12 March 2009, Medical Assistant NESBITT’s team were ambushed near Nawa District Centre by a well-concealed and prepared enemy. Heavy and accurate fire from small arms and rocket propelled grenades poured in to the team’s position simultaneously from the northwest, west and south, pinning down the entire team. Very soon in the hail of bullets, one of the team was hit in the neck by a high velocity round; he slumped to the ground bleeding profusely and it quickly became clear that his injuries were life-threatening. Disregarding the ferocious weight of fire from the numerous enemy ambush positions, Medical Assistant NESBITT responded immediately, running some forty metres through a storm of fire to reach the casualty who was struggling to breathe with his vital signs showing he was on the point of collapse and worse. With utter disregard for her own safety and with total focus, Medical Assistant NESBITT set about saving the life of her colleague.

Despite the intensity and accuracy of the enemy fire – throughout, rounds were ripping into the ground beside her – Medical Assistant NESBITT worked on regardless, to prevent further blood loss, insert an airway and to administer intravenous fluids. At times she chose to stand in the face of the enemy fire in order to administer the best possible care. Her actions stabilised the casualty and made possible his movement to an emergency helicopter landing site out of range of the enemy. The hospital Clinical Director who subsequently received the casualty later reported that the decisions Medical Assistant NESBITT had made that afternoon had made the difference between life and death. Later that same afternoon Medical Assistant NESBITT came to the aid of a colleague who had succumbed to the heat during the fire-fight and subsequent extraction of the casualty, and later that evening she tended several Afghan National Army casualties of an indirect fire attack on the patrol base in which she was stationed. Three days later Medical Assistant NESBITT was again in the thick of the action, as the first responder to the casualties of an improvised explosive device which detonated under the vehicle behind that which she had been travelling in. Throughout, the quality of her work and her selflessness were outstanding.

Medical Assistant NESBITT’s actions throughout a series of offensive operations were exemplary; under fire and under pressure her courage and commitment were inspirational and in the very highest traditions of the Service.

Award announced in London Gazette No 59182 dated 11 September 2009, page 15640

BZ

Their choice and not yours wouldn't you say.

Seadog

War Hero
@iffy

You now have one less user name through which to spray your pish. Your contributions are not being censored, you still have access to at least three accounts.

@iffy

You now have one less user name through which to spray your pish. Your contributions are not being censored, you still have access to at least three accounts.
Damn, does that mean Nor iffy won't be able to comment on my possessive apostrophes anymore?

Well done Lauren. Is she called Spider?

Seadog

War Hero
Whether one is young, old, shitting it or bold, male or female, homosexual or straight; scraping your shipmates’ remains off of the upper deck or any other part of ship is a character building experience. One of Mountbatten’s biographies addresses the horror.

ratsroden

Lantern Swinger
Whether one is young, old, shitting it or bold, male or female, homosexual or straight; scraping your shipmates’ remains off of the upper deck or any other part of ship is a character building experience. One of Mountbatten’s biographies addresses the horror.
Clearly something you have experienced--talking with such authority- or flannel?

Clearly. But not something I would wish my daughters-or wife- to experience They are strong charactered enough certainly but I would not wish their child-bearing qualities to be impaired. Would you?
How would serving in the Royal Navy affect a woman's ability to bear children?

Latest Threads