Dorset Echo: "Lt Lauren Webber From Chickerell Now Commanding Officer Of Royal Navy Vessel HMS Puncher"

soleil

War Hero
"Meet the Royal Navy's newest sea commander who has taken control of her own ship.

Lt Lauren Webber, from Chickerell, has taken over as commanding officer of HMS Puncher following five years naval service.

The 25-year-old took charge of the ship on March 1 and is now one of the youngest sea commanders in the entire Royal Navy taking control of a crew of five who are older than her."

http://www.dorsetecho.co.uk/news/16...the_Royal_Navy_vessel_she_s_now_in_charge_of/

Seadog

War Hero
The article linked by soleil read:
one of the youngest sea commanders......

...In the future, Lauren added that she was looking at becoming a commanding officer of a frigate or a destroyer like HMS Queen Elizabeth.
The journalese detracts from a diversity good news story;
King Canute failed to command the sea and Mother Nature hasn’t relinquished Command to technology or diversity.

Queen Elizabeth is a destroyer, Puncher is a ship? WTF?

D

Deleted 65350

Nevertheless, congratulations to Lieutenant Webber on her first Command.
But when the shots were firing in anger. Would I want my daughter there.
Nor would I want Lt Webber.
How many of the old and bold who have seen action agree?

Seadog

War Hero
If I were leaking Claret and looking at an eternal stand easy while in contact with the Taliban, I’d want CPO Kate Nesbitt MC. There are some women who outperform some men in fraught situations. My nod to diversity is not because I’m evangelical about it, I’m not but the Navy do tend to select the right Officers for Command at all levels more often than they appoint Officers who will be found lacking. The selection of the right stuff is not confined to Officers when the appointers have the luxury of choice and aren’t just putting a bum on a seat.

I count 4 bums occupying your seat, which 3 shall I relieve of Command?

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
And what notable engagements have you been in Horatio?

D

Deleted 65350

If I were leaking Claret and looking at an eternal stand easy while in contact with the Taliban, I’d want CPO Kate Nesbitt MC. There are some women who outperform some men in fraught situations. My nod to diversity is not because I’m evangelical about it, I’m not but the Navy do tend to select the right Officers for Command at all levels more often than they appoint Officers who will be found lacking. The selection of the right stuff is not confined to Officers when the appointers have the luxury of choice and aren’t just putting a bum on a seat.

I count 4 bums occupying your seat, which 3 shall I relieve of Command?
If you're of the old and bold and having returned to your mess following action only to find a couple of your mess mates missing and then being detailed to clamber aloft to scrape their body parts from the upperworks..
Not for my daughters or the likes of Lt Webber I would think.

soleil

War Hero
If you're of the old and bold and having returned to your mess following action only to find a couple of your mess mates missing and then being detailed to clamber aloft to scrape their body parts from the upperworks..
I disagree. See the following.

************************************************************************************************************************

Medical Assistant Kate Louise NESBITT, W148827G, Royal Navy
UK Medical Group, attached C Company, 1 Rifles

The Military Cross

Attached to an Operational Mentor and Liaison Team in the Nawa District of Helmand Province, Afghanistan, Medical Assistant NESBITT lived and operated alongside the Afghan National Army in a series of deliberate offensive operations against the Taliban in Central South Afghanistan; stark contrast to her normal duties as a Medical Assistant in a Recruit Training Centre.

On 12 March 2009, Medical Assistant NESBITT’s team were ambushed near Nawa District Centre by a well-concealed and prepared enemy. Heavy and accurate fire from small arms and rocket propelled grenades poured in to the team’s position simultaneously from the northwest, west and south, pinning down the entire team. Very soon in the hail of bullets, one of the team was hit in the neck by a high velocity round; he slumped to the ground bleeding profusely and it quickly became clear that his injuries were life-threatening. Disregarding the ferocious weight of fire from the numerous enemy ambush positions, Medical Assistant NESBITT responded immediately, running some forty metres through a storm of fire to reach the casualty who was struggling to breathe with his vital signs showing he was on the point of collapse and worse. With utter disregard for her own safety and with total focus, Medical Assistant NESBITT set about saving the life of her colleague.

Despite the intensity and accuracy of the enemy fire – throughout, rounds were ripping into the ground beside her – Medical Assistant NESBITT worked on regardless, to prevent further blood loss, insert an airway and to administer intravenous fluids. At times she chose to stand in the face of the enemy fire in order to administer the best possible care. Her actions stabilised the casualty and made possible his movement to an emergency helicopter landing site out of range of the enemy. The hospital Clinical Director who subsequently received the casualty later reported that the decisions Medical Assistant NESBITT had made that afternoon had made the difference between life and death. Later that same afternoon Medical Assistant NESBITT came to the aid of a colleague who had succumbed to the heat during the fire-fight and subsequent extraction of the casualty, and later that evening she tended several Afghan National Army casualties of an indirect fire attack on the patrol base in which she was stationed. Three days later Medical Assistant NESBITT was again in the thick of the action, as the first responder to the casualties of an improvised explosive device which detonated under the vehicle behind that which she had been travelling in. Throughout, the quality of her work and her selflessness were outstanding.

Medical Assistant NESBITT’s actions throughout a series of offensive operations were exemplary; under fire and under pressure her courage and commitment were inspirational and in the very highest traditions of the Service.

Award announced in London Gazette No 59182 dated 11 September 2009, page 15640

Taztiff

War Hero
I disagree. See the following.

************************************************************************************************************************

Medical Assistant Kate Louise NESBITT, W148827G, Royal Navy
UK Medical Group, attached C Company, 1 Rifles

The Military Cross

Attached to an Operational Mentor and Liaison Team in the Nawa District of Helmand Province, Afghanistan, Medical Assistant NESBITT lived and operated alongside the Afghan National Army in a series of deliberate offensive operations against the Taliban in Central South Afghanistan; stark contrast to her normal duties as a Medical Assistant in a Recruit Training Centre.

On 12 March 2009, Medical Assistant NESBITT’s team were ambushed near Nawa District Centre by a well-concealed and prepared enemy. Heavy and accurate fire from small arms and rocket propelled grenades poured in to the team’s position simultaneously from the northwest, west and south, pinning down the entire team. Very soon in the hail of bullets, one of the team was hit in the neck by a high velocity round; he slumped to the ground bleeding profusely and it quickly became clear that his injuries were life-threatening. Disregarding the ferocious weight of fire from the numerous enemy ambush positions, Medical Assistant NESBITT responded immediately, running some forty metres through a storm of fire to reach the casualty who was struggling to breathe with his vital signs showing he was on the point of collapse and worse. With utter disregard for her own safety and with total focus, Medical Assistant NESBITT set about saving the life of her colleague.

Despite the intensity and accuracy of the enemy fire – throughout, rounds were ripping into the ground beside her – Medical Assistant NESBITT worked on regardless, to prevent further blood loss, insert an airway and to administer intravenous fluids. At times she chose to stand in the face of the enemy fire in order to administer the best possible care. Her actions stabilised the casualty and made possible his movement to an emergency helicopter landing site out of range of the enemy. The hospital Clinical Director who subsequently received the casualty later reported that the decisions Medical Assistant NESBITT had made that afternoon had made the difference between life and death. Later that same afternoon Medical Assistant NESBITT came to the aid of a colleague who had succumbed to the heat during the fire-fight and subsequent extraction of the casualty, and later that evening she tended several Afghan National Army casualties of an indirect fire attack on the patrol base in which she was stationed. Three days later Medical Assistant NESBITT was again in the thick of the action, as the first responder to the casualties of an improvised explosive device which detonated under the vehicle behind that which she had been travelling in. Throughout, the quality of her work and her selflessness were outstanding.

Medical Assistant NESBITT’s actions throughout a series of offensive operations were exemplary; under fire and under pressure her courage and commitment were inspirational and in the very highest traditions of the Service.

Award announced in London Gazette No 59182 dated 11 September 2009, page 15640

BZ

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
Their choice and not yours wouldn't you say.

Seadog

War Hero
@iffy

You now have one less user name through which to spray your pish. Your contributions are not being censored, you still have access to at least three accounts.

SONAR-BENDER

War Hero
@iffy

You now have one less user name through which to spray your pish. Your contributions are not being censored, you still have access to at least three accounts.
Damn, does that mean Nor iffy won't be able to comment on my possessive apostrophes anymore?

Well done Lauren. Is she called Spider?

Seadog

War Hero
Whether one is young, old, shitting it or bold, male or female, homosexual or straight; scraping your shipmates’ remains off of the upper deck or any other part of ship is a character building experience. One of Mountbatten’s biographies addresses the horror.

D

Deleted 59428

Whether one is young, old, shitting it or bold, male or female, homosexual or straight; scraping your shipmates’ remains off of the upper deck or any other part of ship is a character building experience. One of Mountbatten’s biographies addresses the horror.
Clearly something you have experienced--talking with such authority- or flannel?

D

Deleted 59428

Their choice and not yours wouldn't you say.
Clearly. But not something I would wish my daughters-or wife- to experience They are strong charactered enough certainly but I would not wish their child-bearing qualities to be impaired. Would you?

soleil

War Hero
Clearly. But not something I would wish my daughters-or wife- to experience They are strong charactered enough certainly but I would not wish their child-bearing qualities to be impaired. Would you?
How would serving in the Royal Navy affect a woman's ability to bear children?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
soleil Dorset Echo: "‘Does Anyone Know My Old Navy Friend?" The Quarterdeck 4
soleil Dorset Echo: "Royal Naval Commander Sails Into Home Port" SCC and URNU 0
soleil Dorset Echo: Incident On An Omani Warship Off Portland Current Affairs 0
soleil Dorset Echo: "Royal Navy Warship Arrives At Portland And Is Open To The Public" The Fleet 0
soleil Dorset Echo: "Weymouth Sailor Honoured For Three Decades Of Service" The Fleet Air Arm 4
soleil Dorset Echo: "Cherished Chopper Comes Home To Portland" The Fleet Air Arm 0
soleil Dorset Echo: "Navy Training Units Sail Into Portland" SCC and URNU 1
soleil Dorset Echo: Submarine Crews meet again at Conference Submariners 1
soleil Dorset Echo: "Nuclear Emergency Plan for Portland" Submariners 0
soleil Dorset Echo: "Dorset sends in the Marines" The Corps 1
soleil Dorset Echo: "Weymouth Sailor is Top Recruit" The Fleet Air Arm 0
soleil Daily Echo: Flying visit to North Dorset school by pilot dad The Fleet Air Arm 9
MoD_RSS Ancient mosaic from Roman Dorset at risk of export MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Funding for Dorset communities MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Wessex Water pays for polluting Dorset nature reserve MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Yacht aground at Chapman's Pool, Dorset MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Waste overwhelms Dorset brothers' recycling business MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Equine Viral Arteritis confirmed in Dorset MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: New groundwater flood warning service for Dorset and Wiltshire MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Water company to pay a record £975,000 towards environmental improvements following sewage spills on Dorset coast MoD News 0
Sgt Jobsearch Sales Manager (Nulcear Plant) - Dorset - £Competitive The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 0
Simon - Quest Magazine Engineering & Asset Management Director – Based in Poole, Dorset - £83,839 - £98,634 The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 0
Sgt Jobsearch Tutor (Engineering & Maintenance) - Dorset - £23 to £25k The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 0
Sgt Jobsearch Tutor (Mechanical Engineering) - Dorset - £26,000 - £28,000 + Benefits The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 0
Sgt Jobsearch Tutor (Electrical Engineering) - Dorset - £26,000 - £28,000 + Benefits The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 0
Sgt Jobsearch Assessor (General Engineering) - Dorset - £22,000 - £23,000 + Benefits The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 0
Sgt Jobsearch Senior Quality Engineer - Dorset - £Negotiable The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 0
MoD_RSS Princess Royal visits Olympics Maritime Security Force Dorset Current Affairs 0
soleil Dovecote Press: "Dorset - The Royal Navy" - Stuart Morris The Book Club 5
soleil "PORTLAND: Dorset Public Urged To Get Ship Shape For HMS Edinburgh" The Fleet 1
soleil BBC Dorset: "Dorset-linked RFA Ship Key to RN Operations" RFA 2
soleil Dorset: Ex-RN Diver on charity fridge-push has cash stolen Current Affairs 5
S The Dorset Naga or Ghost Chilli Diamond Lil's 1
soleil "Wreck to Reef" seeking RN Warship to scuttle off Dorset The Fleet 3
soleil Thieves target plaques on Dorset War Memorial Current Affairs 2
A Earthquake hits Kent and causes possible damage in Dorset! Current Affairs 20
soleil Island Echo: "Ryde's Sea Cadets Looking For New Adult Leaders" SCC and URNU 0
soleil Liverpool Echo: "New Military Ships 'Must Be Built At Yards Like Cammell Laird After Brexit'" RFA 1
@ Echo/Sutherland/Scillies The Quarterdeck 4
soleil Liverpool Echo: "Messing About On The River - Volunteers Needed For Raft Race Fun" The Gash Barge 0
soleil Southern Echo: "HMS Dragon Sanctioned To Track Russian Vessel Off Scottish Waters" The Fleet 6
soleil L'pool Echo: "Special Dedication Ceremony For Those Christened w. HMS Liverpool Bell" The Fleet 0
soleil Liverpool Echo: "Fort Victoria In Mammoth £47m Navy Refit Job" RFA 14
T HMS Tireless joins HMS Echo for the search for Mh370 Current Affairs 16
soleil S. Echo: "Nuclear Submarines To Be Based In Sunderland If Scots Win Independence" Submariners 7
soleil Sunderland Echo: "Artist Chronicles Dismantling Of Navy Ship" RFA 6
soleil Liverpool Echo: "Cammell Laird Start Work On £3bn Royal Navy Supercarrier" The Fleet 4
soleil Northern Echo: "Navy Reservist Encourages Others To Sign Up" Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 1
soleil Liverpool Echo: "The Battle Of The Atlantic Legacy Of Captain Johnnie Walker" History 1
soleil Daily Echo: "VIDEO: Launch Of Bournemouth Air Festival 2013" The Fleet Air Arm 3