Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Door Gunners

Taffd

Lantern Swinger
Door Gunners in CHF are Aviation Crewmen or Aircrewmen. Are the lads from 43 Commando who man the guns on warship's helos similarly trained aircrew, or do they have a different qualification?

I ask out of idle curiosity, having just seen a news report; if this quezzy risks any sort of SEC, please ignore and castigate accordingly.

They are selected from a cadre at 43 Cdo, and then placed on a bespoke training course. Most of them then want to go on their PW3 Course thereafter (5 of 6 I have recently worked with, which is apparently the usual ration).

Waspie

War Hero
Taffd, did you use the search box at the top of the page. I just did, using 'door gunner' and I got nine pages of hits!

We have discussed this many times. From AET's wanting to know, to RM snipers sat in doors of Lynx.

Fraid Scouse is right!!!

Taffd

Lantern Swinger
Taffd, did you use the search box at the top of the page. I just did, using 'door gunner' and I got nine pages of hits!

We have discussed this many times. From AET's wanting to know, to RM snipers sat in doors of Lynx.

Fraid Scouse is right!!!

Oddly enough, no. Most of the searches I've done have involved 'aircrewman', and I thought I'd covered it all, though I seem to have read many of the 'door gunner' threads as well.

Those that are about are mostly over 2 years old and I've not seen an answer to the specific question I asked.

As I understand it, in the last couple of years stuff at CHF has changed and I suppose changes are ongoing. I don't know if it's always been the case but door gunners are now Aviation Crewmen, part of the aircrew, with flying duties other than gunning. As such they have to attend the relevant course. I assume RN crewmen have similar but different roles on ship-bourne helos. And all will be rigged out in flying type rig accordingly.

From previous phots I've seen, RM snipers in the helos appear to be separate from the aircrew and I assume, only along for the specific mission and not rigged out in flight gear, though I'm unsure if that's the case.

The phot that sparked my interest yesterday was a ship-bourne Bootie from 43, avec flying helmet, rig etc. I wondered if these types were Aviation Crewmen who'd left CHF, or if indeed they were Aviation Crewmen, or weren't but had done a shorter course.

Alfred's partly answered the question, and thanks for that Alfred.

timex

Lantern Swinger
As far as I'm aware (been out a few yrs) the guys doing the shooting are not trained crewmen, they are employed purely for the job. The crewmen are trained on the various CSW seen dangling from the doors and not the Sniper wpns.

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Yep, one of the Corporals at my AFCO was a PW3, (para-trained, former Recce troop operative) who did a stint door-gunning with a 0.5 calibre, shooting-out the engine blocks on 'go-fast' outboards in the Caribbean.

He wasn't aircrew.

Yep, one of the Corporals at my AFCO was a PW3, (para-trained, former Recce troop operative) who did a stint door-gunning with a 0.5 calibre, shooting-out the engine blocks on 'go-fast' outboards in the Caribbean.

He wasn't aircrew.

Did he have the Jason King moustache?:rofl:

Taffd

Lantern Swinger

He wasn't aircrew.

But apparently all lynx door gunners in CHF are Aviation Crewmen, and in the other CHF squadrons, Aircrewmen, and thus have an aircrew role while flying.

It would appear, and I'm guessing here, that the 43 type gunners, snipers or machine-gunners, have no aircrew role and, as said previously, it was the 'flight-suitedness' in the phot I saw, that raised the question.

Ta to all.

Taffd

Lantern Swinger
They are selected from a cadre at 43 Cdo, and then placed on a bespoke training course. Most of them then want to go on their PW3 Course thereafter (5 of 6 I have recently worked with, which is apparently the usual ration).

It's also the case apparently, that PW3 is an entry requirement for Aviation Crewman.

Taffd

Lantern Swinger
That'll be difficult, do you know the pass rate for PW3 or Aviation crewman?

No. But as I understand it, PW3 is a relatively new thing; PW2 (Cpl level) was the entry point to the spec previously, as it's a teaching spec, like PTI.

At around the same time as the first PW3 course, CHF decided that all future Lynx door gunners would come from the PW3 spec. Also, door gunners would all be Aviation Crewmen, part of the flight crew. I think Lynxes are now obliged to carry the rear cabin crew on all flights. Anyway, CHF did a recruiting drive around the same time and because of this, the waiting list is mahoosive.

Therefore, one first has to pass out as a Commando, then go to a unit, opt for and get PW branch, opt for Aviation Crewman, be selected from all applicants, pass flight assessments, attend Aviation Crewman course and pass.

I suspect that, as with most courses, the pass rate will be fairly high.

None of the above should be taken as gospel, I don't actually know anything. It's all gleaned from 2nd/3rd hand sources.

scouse

War Hero
:sad7:Mate you sound good enough to make an Officer .....but not an aircrewman, not even a door gunner , pinger , Junglie Aimer ,winchman,or even a Diver. Lol.....ps well not in my time in the FAA:nike:

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MoD_RSS Door supervisor who gave his SIA licence to a family member is given 32-months' suspended sentence MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Gloucestershire door supervisor fined for working with suspended licence MoD News 0
MoD_RSS AAIB Report: Mooney M20K, Baggage door detachment in flight MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Door supervisor with illegal home-made ‘licence’ sentenced to curfew MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Denton door supervisor saves friend’s brother in car park stabbing MoD News 0
MoD_RSS From the sea to the door: New grant scheme to support seafood businesses in England to sell catches MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Passenger train door open in traffic MoD News 0
Sgt Jobsearch Automatic Door Engineer - London - £23K - £28K OTE £40K The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 0
Sgt Jobsearch Automatic Door Engineer (Greater London/M25) - London - £23K - £28K OTE £40K The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 0
0 Hole Under Door Lock Motoring 4
Joint_Force_Harrier Shed door The Gash Barge 16
T Next door Current Affairs 7
trelawney126 Sharia Law by the back Door Current Affairs 4
wet_blobby There be trouble next door. Diamond Lil's 11
WhizzbangDai Can anyone tell me why - Bootie door gunner The Quarterdeck 13
K Door gunner The Fleet Air Arm 31
Rumrat Who would you like/dislike (from RR) to live next door to? Diamond Lil's 48
T Chavs attempt aerocide by opening door mid-flight Diamond Lil's 22
slim Cash rewards for neighbours who rat on the crooks next door Diamond Lil's 10
Good_CO Wanted - one ship door (photo) Site Issues 24
C HMS Albion next door The Fleet 6
WreckerL One for the gunners Diamond Lil's 8
cooksmate Field gunners new must have Diamond Lil's 1
Guns Calling all Gunners need help with Shell ID History 23
P PORTSMOUTH FIELD GUNNERS ASSOCIATION Bases / Shore Est 3
janner For the Gunners Gaming 3