Door gunner

Discussion in 'The Fleet Air Arm' started by Krakeder9, May 9, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. As i am entering as an AET and on the waiting list, its not exactly a whole im gona quit if i cant fly. but out of interest as part of a crew on a sea king or lynx for example , is there any chance of tagging along on flights as a door gunner. Half the people say its strictly a royal marine duty on proper missions, yet some people say its just a case that when training the the flight mechanic tags along on-board as a door gunner when needed.

tl;dr : will a AET go on flight ops? :?:
  2. You have to be able to say "Get some", and chew tobacco. Nothing else is required.
  3. don't forget playing Vietnam music out lound, then gunning down people with a different colour skin than mine.

but is it a duty only for marines who have been trained, or any chance of the AET going along?
  4. I knew a door gunner once.

No wait , he was a tail gunner.

Wait, he was an RAF tail gunner.

Think I'm confused about the subject of this thread.
  5. Back door gunner?
  6. Yep !!!! :roll: all the time, i always let my NA(AE) AET in old money, get chucked out of the cab, when i was practicing my wet winching drills to keep my log book up to date :lol: :lol: :lol: and also when he wanted to go surfing in NAM :roll:
  7. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Door gunner duties are often done by RMs, but other NAS personnel are eligible to do it as well. I know many non-combatant Squadron personnel (particularly Logistics Branch) who have done many Herrick tours.
  8. Thanks for the insight,
  9. Door gunner volunteers are always wanted, as long as your branch can release you for the allocated period of time. You won't just go and do a tour then return to your previous job. As an AET they can expect to lose you out of their manning pool for 16 months +.
  10. So as a result, of volunteering and being accepted as a door gunner with a helicopter crew, who have a need for a man of my skills to, as they say “to gun from the backdoorâ€.

The opportunity cost of my time, when I will be unable to work on aircraft will leave me outside of the AET branch for 16+ months.

Edit with spelling corrections
  11. Training + tours and return on investment. Yes. They don't just stick you on a Gimpy and say "keep a good eye out mate".
  12. Longer than that in your case, so you can be lern to speel proply.
  13. I’m getting the vibe that if the air engineering branch was going to go and let me shoot the VC, they will want me 1st to have served my primary role long enough to offset the cost of training before even considering letting me volunteer. sounds fair enough
  14. As an Aerial Engineer you will need to learn all about these first, surely:

:roll: :roll:
  15. Your probably better off joining the army! at least you'll be qualified!
  16. Oi! We don't have a pioneer corps any more. That leaves only regimental mascot for this one.
  17. Then there's always the NAFFI, do they still sell toy guns?
  18. Yes, and laboons.
  19. Much more exciting doing STC...
  20. True but would be unfair to get his hopes up, STC - GET SOME!!! YEAH BABY