Door gunner

Capn_Pugwash

Lantern Swinger
#3
I knew a door gunner once.

No wait , he was a tail gunner.

Wait, he was an RAF tail gunner.

Think I'm confused about the subject of this thread.
 
#5
Krakeder9 said:
As i am entering as an AET and on the waiting list, its not exactly a whole im gona quit if i cant fly. but out of interest as part of a crew on a sea king or lynx for example , is there any chance of tagging along on flights as a door gunner. Half the people say its strictly a royal marine duty on proper missions, yet some people say its just a case that when training the the flight mechanic tags along on-board as a door gunner when needed.

tl;dr : will a AET go on flight ops? :?:
Yep !!!! :roll: all the time, i always let my NA(AE) AET in old money, get chucked out of the cab, when i was practicing my wet winching drills to keep my log book up to date :lol: :lol: :lol: and also when he wanted to go surfing in NAM :roll: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vHjWDCX1Bdw
 

sgtpepperband

War Hero
Moderator
Book Reviewer
#6
Door gunner duties are often done by RMs, but other NAS personnel are eligible to do it as well. I know many non-combatant Squadron personnel (particularly Logistics Branch) who have done many Herrick tours.
 
G

guestm

Guest
#7
Krakeder9 said:
Thanks for the insight,
Door gunner volunteers are always wanted, as long as your branch can release you for the allocated period of time. You won't just go and do a tour then return to your previous job. As an AET they can expect to lose you out of their manning pool for 16 months +.
 
G

guestm

Guest
#8
Krakeder9 said:
So being a door gunner a dedicated role, in the fact if i volenter for the role and if my branch acepts,i will leave my AET role complealty for 16+ months?
Training + tours and return on investment. Yes. They don't just stick you on a Gimpy and say "keep a good eye out mate".
 

Capn_Pugwash

Lantern Swinger
#9
Krakeder9 said:
So being a door gunner a dedicated role, in the fact if i volenter for the role and if my branch acepts,i will leave my AET role complealty for 16+ months?
Longer than that in your case, so you can be lern to speel proply.
 
#10
Krakeder9 said:
I’m getting the vibe that if the aerial engineering branch was going to go and let me shoot the VC, they will want me 1st to have served my primary role long enough to offset the cost of training before even considering letting me volunteer. sounds fair enough
As an Aerial Engineer you will need to learn all about these first, surely:





:roll: :roll:
 
#17
Krakeder9 said:
Could you explain what STC is

or would you prefer to keep gloating the fact you in it and i am not?
Extremely hush hush and difficult to get in, you have to be uber fit to even be considered. Can't be discussed on an open forum.
 
#18
WreckerL said:
Krakeder9 said:
Could you explain what STC is

or would you prefer to keep gloating the fact you in it and i am not?
Extremely hush hush and difficult to get in, you have to be uber fit to even be considered. Can't be discussed on an open forum.
Bit of an old school attitude than WL, these days with the current tempo of ops sharing some basic information which is already in the public domain in my view is not an issue. That said as an ex-bootneck I'm not qualified to talk though I did work with STC a couple of three times during my time and I've got to say they know their stuff.

Krakeder I'm sure there's a couple of serving or ex STC lads on here who could point you in the right direction.
 
#19
labrum said:
WreckerL said:
Krakeder9 said:
Could you explain what STC is

or would you prefer to keep gloating the fact you in it and i am not?
Extremely hush hush and difficult to get in, you have to be uber fit to even be considered. Can't be discussed on an open forum.
Bit of an old school attitude than WL, these days with the current tempo of ops sharing some basic information which is already in the public domain in my view is not an issue. That said as an ex-bootneck I'm not qualified to talk though I did work with STC a couple of three times during my time and I've got to say they know their stuff.

Krakeder I'm sure there's a couple of serving or ex STC lads on here who could point you in the right direction.
Loose lips and all that malarkey. you never know who's reading these posts :wink:
 
#20
labrum said:
WreckerL said:
Krakeder9 said:
Could you explain what STC is

or would you prefer to keep gloating the fact you in it and i am not?
Extremely hush hush and difficult to get in, you have to be uber fit to even be considered. Can't be discussed on an open forum.
Bit of an old school attitude than WL, these days with the current tempo of ops sharing some basic information which is already in the public domain in my view is not an issue. That said as an ex-bootneck I'm not qualified to talk though I did work with STC a couple of three times during my time and I've got to say they know their stuff.

Krakeder I'm sure there's a couple of serving or ex STC lads on here who could point you in the right direction.
Always good lads to go on the SERE course with though Lab
 
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
T The Corps 36
WhizzbangDai The Quarterdeck 13
C The Fleet 6

Similar threads

Latest Threads

New Posts

Top