Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Dont walk on the grass???

Ive heard the saying "Dont walk on the grass" whilst you are at HMS Raleigh! But what does this mean as such? Is this Navy slang? Or is it another typical joke?? :rendeer:

Oh dear not KEEP OFF THE GRASS or you will be "Man overboard" you had to wait till you were recovered AND you were charged... havent heard that one in years :rendeer:

Lamri’s definition in the first instance is perfectly correct.
However, I suspect that, today, ‘Keep off the grass’
refers to Marijuana.

I trust that this clears up the confusion.

Jerry

The simple answer, if the same criteria apply as they did when I was last at Raleigh, is that there are roadways and tarmac pathways, in between which are landscaped areas, mainly laid to grass. The RN does not like to continually state the obvious, but also does not wish it's nice green lawns to be transformed into a quagmire by hundreds of pairs of parade boots stomping all over them whilst seeking a shortcut. Since the current yoof seems to be incapable of appreciating anything of beauty, such as a nicely laid lawn, without wanting to play football, or skateboarding, or something similar, on it, it will be pointed out to them on entry, that transgressing onto grassed areas in HMS Raleigh will not be appreciated, and will thereafter be discouraged. This, in rough translation, will be heard as:-
"GET OFF THAT F*%K!^ GRASS AND REPORT TO ME"

2BM

lol...noo a friend of mine who has been in for years told me not to "walk" on the grass...Ive asked him why and all he says is "you will find out why at Raleigh" As in he wont tell me...I am guessing you guys know but wont tell me why either??? :(

2BM just told you. It's to protect the grass from getting turned into mud. The grounds are looked after not to be trashed.

Again if you walk on it you get a good b***cking if seen.

People have told you already but you don't believe us lol

Collingwood was the same when I was there no doubt probably is the same lol

Latest Threads