Don't panic Captain Mainwaring

You laugh! Local beach after the last storm ... member of the public rings up "found a hand grenade on the beach" ... Many scenes of frantic arm waving etc follows together with numerous flashing blue lights all going at Mach 10 decending on said beach ... only to find yet another cliff fall has buried the thing under hundreds of tons of blue slipper ... so now they are going to wait until the next storm unearths the thing and some amateur fossil hunder trips over it ... and round we go again!

Captain Mainwaring? Seriously? Is that how it was spelt? After all these years of Dad's Army, I thought it was Captain Mannering!!

Pshaw, they be calling Ralph Fiennes Rayf next.

Captain Mainwaring? Seriously? Is that how it was spelt? After all these years of Dad's Army, I thought it was Captain Mannering!!

Pshaw, they be calling Ralph Fiennes Rayf next.
One of my favourite toff name is Cholmondley .....pronounced Chumley. Then there is, of course, the young Sub Lt to Captain....'Farquahar har sar !'

There's one on the Black Isle in North Scotland (which is a misnomer already as it isn't actually an island) called Avoch. Pronounced without the "Av". And no, it is not Ock.

You say Althorp and I say Altrup

Althorp:

BBC News 30 Jun 1998 said:
...But not every controversy is about the memorial fund, the memorial museum, the gift shop, or the celebrity concert. There's also the little matter of the name Althorp. Ever since Diana's tragic death, broadcasters and residents of Northamptonshire have been at odds over the issue. Locals say it should be pronounced as it is spelt. But Diana's brother, Earl Spencer and estate landlord since the death of his father in 1992, insists it should be pronounced All-trup (phonetically written áwltrop)...

A couple more:

Wikipedia said:
St John or St. John is a given name and surname. St John can be pronounced /ˈsɪndʒɨn/ or /ˈsɪnʒən/, as if written Sinjin or Sinjun, particularly if it is the first part of a hyphenated family name or a given name in the United Kingdom...
I also knew a naval officer with the forename St Clair but pronounced Sinclair.

..... and Featherstonehaulgh is pronounced Fanshaw

..... and in Scotland Marjoriebanks is pronounced Marshbanks

Any more?
Also from Scotland, in fact the 'Burg, is Colquhoun Square and Street, pronounced Caw hoon and of course the old favourite towards Glasgow, Milngavie, pronounced Mill guy.

And it really boils my piss when the BBC go on about the town further north calling it Oh ban when ffs it is just like it says on the sign, Oban!

I feel your pain SB. From my own neck of the woods, Dunveeegan (it is just Dunvegan) and Yooig (it is Uig, pronounced Ooig). And if they cannot manage that then you can imagine the endless entertainment in hearing them try to pronounce Sligachan.

But all it does is prove that they are not local people!

Then again, I must be a similar source of entertainment wherever I travel by doing exactly the same thing . . .

Live and learn, eh.

On either Antrim or Eskimo, can't remember which one, was a two ringer named Gash, but he insisted it was pronounced Gaish! I can remember a good few occasions at sea when it was piped "Gaish may now be ditched!"

exJenny

War Hero
Book Reviewer
During my time in and working with the mob I came across several people whose surnames were all spelt very differently yet were all pronounced Cock. There were also a few double-barrelled to Fcuking-Cock and a couple of Complete-Cocks