Don't forget to duck below the Gyrocoptor rotor disk

Discussion in 'The Quarterdeck' started by slim, Mar 11, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. So when will we find out who really is to blame for this accident. My initial thought was that the Gyrocoptor had crashed into the Huntsman.
    Now I'm confused.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...yrocopter-seven-miles-confront-saboteurs.html

Decapitated-hunt-supporter-followed-gyrocopter-seven-miles-confront-saboteurs.

Police have been given more time to question two men on suspicion of murder after a hunt supporter was killed in a collision with a gyrocopter in Warwickshire.

Trevor Morse, 48, died after he was virtually decapitated by the aircraft at Long Marston airfield near Stratford-Upon-Avon as he followed a hunt on Monday afternoon.

Two people travelling in the gyrocopter were arrested on Monday on suspicion of murder following the incident, which happened just after 3pm.

2. As we knew him well, we'd like to know exactly what happened as well.
    JW

3. Ironic that the hunt now involves....animals (various), riders on horses (various), hunt supporters (various transport), hunt protesters (various transport), and flying machines

If anything the whole scene has got bigger rather than smaller...Go figure

Sad accident

4. Reading todays express it would seem that the autogyro was at it's airport and was preparing to leave. by this I am assuming that it was preparing to take off. Now an autogyro does not have a powered rotor, it is turned by air power caused by forward velocity.
    Because of this I am assuming that the guy who was killed approached the autogyro without permission, ran into the rotor blade and suffered the consequences.
    Hopefully we will soon know exactly what did happen, my sympathies at the moment though lie with the pilot of the autogyro.

5. According to BBC News 24, the gyrocopter was on the ground and he walked into the rotor at the rear of the machine

6. Long Marston is a ex WW2 airfield, now family run and privately owned.
    Any drag racing enthusiasts etc will know it as Shakespeare County Raceway. We did hear tht the gyrocopter had a booked a time for refuelling that day.
    JW

7. What's he moaning about. He was chasing innocent, cute looking, defenceless furry creatures and the animal rights fringe were hunting him: it's called NATURAL justice! :twisted:

8. Karma.

Nuff said.

9. FlagWagger

FlagWagger Book Reviewer

Says the urbanite... while I don't ride horses and wouldnt actually take part in a hunt, I believe the legislation to ban hunting was wrong. Foxes are a predatory pest and their numbers need to be controlled. While hunting visibly appeared to be "sport" for the upper classes, it also served a purpose that benefited many in rural areas. Many of the reasons behind Labour's legislation were political dogma and did not take into account the realities of rural life. The ruling classes need to get out of London and recognise that the UK includes areas outside of the M25 - legisaltion that works in London and looks good from the perspective of the trendy city dweller may be completely unworkable in other areas of the UK! <ducks and runs for cover>

10. Why did some hunts breed foxes? If they're vermin they should be shot or gassed. I was always taught that you eat what you shoot. Good thing I never joined the armed forces... cannibalism has never taken my fancy. ;)

11. FlagWagger

FlagWagger Book Reviewer

With murder charges laid, your initial judgement of "NATURAL justice" is appearing to condone taking a human life over what is, given the state of the world economy and the current situation in Iraq and Afghanistan, a relatively trivial political issue. As I said previously, I neither condone nor condemn hunting - the loss of life on either side of the debate is tragic and avoidable.

Citation of a reliable source? I won't comment further other than to say in my opinion this is wrong. The hunts where I used to live (Northants/Leicestershire) were primarily a means of population control of foxes - incidentally in Leicestershire many hunts which used dogs were undertaken on foot.

Shooting relies on marksmanship otherwise the animals can die slowly in agony - at least the hunt was quick. Gassing has the potential for "collateral damage" and pollution. I go back to my point - why should urban politicians dictate how rural problems are solved?

The hounds did!

The only thing I ever shot in 20+ years in the RNR was a "Figure 11" target - would probably have been better than the food in the SRs mess at Nelson! :)

12. He looks like a handy fukcer.

Probably went to the airfield to give em the good news. Thats usually what the Goons that knock about with these hunting toffs get up to.

He obviously lost his HEAD....

He'll never be the HEAD of a major corporation.....

He wasn't very HEAD strong......

13. My original post was Tongue in cheek... And you BIT! :LOL:

Citation of a reliable source? I won't comment further other than to say in my opinion this is wrong. The hunts where I used to live (Northants/Leicestershire) were primarily a means of population control of foxes - incidentally in Leicestershire many hunts which used dogs were undertaken on foot.

Shooting relies on marksmanship otherwise the animals can die slowly in agony - at least the hunt was quick. Gassing has the potential for "collateral damage" and pollution. I go back to my point - why should urban politicians dictate how rural problems are solved?

The hounds did!

The only thing I ever shot in 20+ years in the RNR was a "Figure 11" target - would probably have been better than the food in the SRs mess at Nelson! :)[/quote]

14. Bearing in mind murder charges have now been brought, which would suggest that there is more to this than anyone on here is in a position to comment usefully on, can I suggest we leave it there until after the trial? A man died.

15. Tragic, no really, tragic... I feel very sorry for the fat hunt supporting cnut.

16. 'The ruling classes need to get out of London and recognise that the UK includes areas outside of the M25' - quote Flagwagger

One is totally shocked to imagine that there can possibly be life beyond the M25. One realised there were 'provinces' of course, places were the poor people live.
    One would almost believe that what was appropriate for London was not appropriate for the 'provinces'. :roll: :roll:

17. Im outrageously outraged that you could say such an outrageously outrageous thing like that,
    You just don't get it do you?? A man DIED.
    Thats right D... I...E....D.

Think of his poor family who by chance could be browsing this forum looking for moral support.

Callous to say the least.

Im Outraged.

18. As I stated in a previous post, let us wait for the whole story to come out.
    At present there are very few facts except that he seems to have somehow involved himself with a gyrocopters prop.
    Now we need to know:
    Why he was at the airfield?
    Did he walk into the prop or was he pushed?
    Were the occupants of the Gyrocopter defending themselves from him?
    OK there was a man killed, but it wasn't necessarily murder or even manslaughter.

19. FlagWagger

FlagWagger Book Reviewer

Why is it not acceptable for radical Muslims in the UK to speak out in favour of the deaths of Westerners, yet for UK citizens to be able to rationalise the death of a hunt supporter as being "natural justice" or "karma"? Hypocrisy is the term that springs to mind.

M_L_P while you may not support hunts or their followers any more than you support the adherents of radical Islam, ask yourself whether you'd be happy to exchange the word "hunt" for any other grouping if the circumstances were different.

20. Was he doing a FOD plod :?: and became the FOD :?: