Don't bring our troops home, or Neil's life will be in Vain

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by NotmeChief, Jul 16, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Plymouth Herald

2. Perhaps she has a point and I genuinely admire her Spirit.

3. Good on her for speaking out on her opinion.

I just wish there wasn't such cnuts posting the comments they have on that article

4. Re: Don't bring our troops home, or Neil's life will be in V

Unfortunately in this unwinnable war there will be many more of our service personnel killed.
    We should never have got into the situation and should withdraw our troops at the earliest convenience. terror can be fought from outside Afghanistan with better results and less loss of life.

5. You are, of course, right Slim. The trouble is, we did go in and did a fair job of wrecking the place. We have also given the Afghans the expectation of a fair and stable Government. Until we achieve some semblance of that and mend the infrastructure, I do believe we are stuck there. I also suspect that we are inspiring more Terrs than we are eradicating but, hey, what the hell do we know.

6. Re: Don't bring our troops home, or Neil's life will be in V

Obviously we have differing opinions on this and I know that the other thread has covered a lot of the arguments but this is just another throwaway "e-comment". Could you please explain to me on what you base this statement or explain how it would be done.

IMD

7. Re: Don't bring our troops home, or Neil's life will be in V

As I said in another forum:
    1. Use the troops to tighten the routes used to smuggle drugs
    2. Use satellite surveillance to identify poppy fields
    3. Use unmanned drones to spray the poppy crops.
    4. Send aid so that nobody starves due to the crops being destroyed.
    5. Tighten up our borders to identify illegal immigrants and return said to country of origin quickly.

I will state here and now that I don't give a toss for the way that Afghanistan is ruled. It is not, never has been and never will be a democracy. We Infidels should remove ourselves and leave the country to be run by the Muslim multi tribal occupants. We have no right to interfere in their way of life. Lets face it how many of us are pissed off because a small percentage of Muslims have stated that their intention is to turn the UK into a Muslim state complete with Sharia law? Think how they feel.

8. Re: Don't bring our troops home, or Neil's life will be in V

Of course Kate Miller is right if we were to pull out now her fiances death would have been for nothing.

So slim the Afghans would be dependent on aid ad infintum?

9. Re: Don't bring our troops home, or Neil's life will be in V

Possibly as long as we kept destroying their popy fields.
    However Sub Saharan Africa has been given aid for the last 50 or more years and there is no sign of that being withdrawn.

10. Re: Don't bring our troops home, or Neil's life will be in V

I see a problem with providing aid on that scale as the Taliban IMO far from being soldiers of god are nothing but gangsters and would without doubt highjack the aid process for their own gain.

I read somewhere that in the arable areas of Afghanistan highly prized apples used to be grown in huge quantities, we cannot take the poppy fields away without providing another source of income for the subsistence farmers.

11. Re: Don't bring our troops home, or Neil's life will be in V

HOW Will it be done then??.They will get bigger better armed with all the money they make from the poppy fields so come on how can it be done ??

12. Re: Don't bring our troops home, or Neil's life will be in V

Unfortunately poppies generate more revenue than apples. I agree that the farmers should be offered other crops to grow and we should provide buyers for them. Lets face the common agricultural policy has paid farmers in Europe to grow and then destroy crops which were not wanted.
    I do not believe that aid to the farmers would cost a great deal of money. Nowhere near the amount we are paying for the war.

13. Re: Don't bring our troops home, or Neil's life will be in V

Plus the money that IMO comes from some Gulf States and other sympathisers.

It is also my opinion that to withdraw from Afghanistan now would be a mistake, however this government need to make crystal clear just what the objectives really are Brown owes us that, especially those involved in the fighting. Having said that we have seen today that he is as slippery as a bag of eels when he dodged a direct question from the chair of the Defence Select Committee regarding troop numbers in Afghanistan.

14. Re: Don't bring our troops home, or Neil's life will be in V

There would be no poppy felds :twisted:

15. Re: Don't bring our troops home, or Neil's life will be in V

There would be no poppy Fields!!
    Why the area(particularly a bit further north in control of taliban) is full, of them now .Does someone intend to burn em all :D

16. Flaming the poppy fields now would be very like kicking a Rotweiler in the gonads while your fingers are in his mouth. We have to leave them something that they can make a sensible living from. Poppies do have a pharmaceutical value. Unfortunately we would rather use good quality land here to grow them. It's a bit old but http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...opium-poppies-tackle-NHS-morphine-crisis.html

Giving them a self sustaining Economy that isn't harmful to us isn't an easy task. Unfortunately, the smart buggers and the politicos would rather apply their enormous minds to other things. Unfortunately, again, the other things are usually designed to make our lives yet more miserable.

17. Re: Don't bring our troops home, or Neil's life will be in V

Not apples but pomegranates.

Why go to the trouble of destroying the poppy fields. They are not the problem.

Take the criminal profit out of drugs selling by licensing them and selling them at controlled outlets. If the Afghan poppy is destroyed it will simply drive up the street price of drugs and encourage alternate suppliers to develop and the problem will just go on and on. If the profit is removed then the poppies will wither on the vine [how's that for a mixed gardening metaphor]

[​IMG]

RM

18. tiddlyoggy

tiddlyoggy War Hero Book Reviewer

I sat and listended to my son, who is very near 14, explain to his mum the reasons why we can't pull out of Afghan, morale to the fundamentalists, encouraging more 7/7 style attacks etc. He is keen to join the army, I hope he doesn't, but I'm so proud of his reasoning and courage wrt this subject.

19. Re: Don't bring our troops home, or Neil's life will be in V

The wars in Afghanistan between themselves and various other
    nations has been going on for the last 150 years +

Its a no win situation

The UK forces IMHO should never have gone there . Crap about
    hotbeds and training grounds for terrorists being trained for worldwide
    anti US/UK attacks isn't really true. Try Pakistan you may be nearer the
    problem .
    The simple fact that infidel /non believers forces are in Afghanistan
    fighting gives the al queda etc etc more reasons to stir up hatred.

We have lost too many UK combattants in a situation that is not really the
    UK forces remit------very similar to Iraq. We will lose more as the days and weeks go on. For what and why -politicians and ill thought out
    strategies .a conflict the UK can't really afford judging by the defence spend .

Bring the boys home now----------the US and lost causes
    the liebour party has a lot to answer for .

20. Re: Don't bring our troops home, or Neil's life will be in V

Bergen, not wishing to appear finicky but apples, pomegranates and grapes are all grown, so we are both correct with our horticultural analysis of the region.