Donorgate

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by finknottle, May 1, 2011.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. The Conservative party has received £740,000 in donations from the family of a Syrian arms dealer with strong ties to the Assad regime, the Sunday Times reports. The news comes as reports from Syria suggest that the shelling of the city of Deraa by pro-government forces has intensified, and the troops are now in control of a mosque in the city. Activists say that 138 members of the ruling Ba'ath party resigned on Saturday in protest against the actions of the regime.

With all that is going on in the Middle East this is a bloody disgrace and it proves that when it comes to cash Cameron's principles fly out the window.

2. If we shot our policy makers for things like this, it wouldn't happen as often. either that or oxford/cambridge alumni would have a short lifespan.

3. You don't give up do you?

:sleepy2:

4. I think that any news of Government involvement should be reported and discussed. After all, the Government are only in Office because "we" said so and put them there to represent "us" ... well, sort of until the UK uses the PR voting system.

5. Hey finknottle, you got a source for that info?

6. I have the Sunday Times.

Linky

7. Gah, damn paywalls... It seems they're the only one running the story for the moment : /

8. Yes, MEiOw,

But lets place our resident doom monger in context:

Imagine Jack Dee or Les Dawson, add any negative revelation concerning Politicos, Aristos, Top-Earners, Celebrities etc. Then subtract ANY vestige of hilarity or hint of humour and you've got Finknottle in one.

It's what he does.

Get used to it and standby to collect your Outrage Bus Ticket at his every appearance.

9. I don't want to defend the doom monger too much, but at least he's vaguely literate. I was expecting him to reply with a link from the Sun or Daily Mail. :-D

10. BOOTWU, I hope you are not on a member recruiting drive for your little circle of blinkered friends?

11. Nae,

No affiliations at all - Just a self-appointed route-diverter for this week's Outrage bus.

Try bringing along some comfort and/or joy when you next visit RR & I'll be with you all the way.

12. I hope to read in the near future that the Tories have handed the money back.

finknottle AKA Norris.

13. silverfox

silverfox War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

In case you hadn't noticed, this is the Current Affairs Forum. This is where events and topics of the day can be discussed. Not just the blanket derogation of someone whose views you don't like. I realise this may be new territory for you, but do try to understand. personal insults are for other forums.

As it happens I don't subscribe to all of Finknottle's views, but I am prepared to debate them where I have a view. The arbitary mocking of an opinion, in my view, masks an intellectual inability to contribute in a meaningful fashion.

If you have something of value to say then please do, otherwise go back to Lil's.

• Like Like x 1
  14. To Silverfox,

Sir, your most acute observations are humbly acknowledged. Mea Culpa.

For the avid followers of this thread.

I return to the topic and to remedy my lack of direct engagement with the OP’s issue of the day (and to take a small step towards restoring my credibility to engage meaningfully at Current Affairs discussions) I have dredged the web on your behalf in a genuine attempt to seek some context for this rage-worthy donation:

<<Donations and public funds received by political parties in 2010

Conservative Party

Donations £31,783,476

Public Funds £1,988,918

Total £33,772,394>>

Source: Donations to political parties | UK Political Info

Based upon that information those alleged Syrian donations of £740k (if deemed acceptable* and accepted) would equate to approx. 2.2% of the CP’s 2010 total funding.

Further research (“For more information, including details of individual donors”) will lead any interested party to this site:

Party finance - Electoral Commission

<<We regulate the financing of political parties, organisations and individuals engaged in campaigning. We strive to help the regulated community comply with the rules by providing advice and guidance, and we enforce the law when these rules are not followed.>>>

*With regard to what is ‘acceptable’; I believe that a mixture of the above regulations, transparency and ethics is likely to result in the bulk of that Syrian donation being returned to sender.

As to the original source: That Times paywall blocker, already mentioned by MEiOw, prevents non-subscribers from viewing the full article. We must therefore remain forever indebted and eternally grateful to the OP for his beneficence in bringing this otherwise financially-censored issue to our attention.

In summary, it would appear that Pork Barrel Politics is so last year.

For Finks – May the MODs be with you, keep setting ‘em up but don’t rely upon my response every time.

15. {Has to sit down}

Finks and BOOTWU are in agreement

{shakes head in information overload}

16. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Have they ever been seen in the same room together..?! :?

17. silverfox

silverfox War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

It's a beautiful thing........