Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dolphins poss killed by Warship Sonar

SILVER_FOX

War Hero
Always so easy to blame the Navy and it's use of sonar in these situations. We don't get to respond and tell these hippy [email protected] that it wasn't us. The article is inconclusive but the fact that it mentions sonar and warships means that most readers will immediately associate us with the problem.

I like dolphins as much as the next guy but these assupmtions really pi$$ me off.

SF

PS: No Sonars were damaged during the creative process of writing this posting.

FLAGHOIST

Badgeman

More than likely miles away from where any active sonars were operating anyway. As the guy on the news this morning was saying, it could be many things, such as, chasing food up the rivers, hereded in by killer whales and chose the river as an escape. What the papers do not say much of, but this guy did, 60 or more dolphins manage to return to the open sea. Looking at the size of the dolphins I would imagine they were young ones, and got lost after the others returned to the sea. Their own sonar bouncing of the river banks could have thrown them also.

Once again, the Telegraph got it wrong.

Regards, Chris

it was on the news last night. Very sad, such beautiful creatures and the report went on to say that the second lot of dolphins went in to rescue the first lot after hearing them call.

I was in a right state after the news last night, first those little boys killed by the drunk driver with no insurance (aka some footballer), then the three paras killed in Afghanistan, then the dolpins. And to cap it all, in the late news there was a report of how the increased food costs are affecting small children who are starving in Etheopia and India.

The whole lot put together makes you grateful what what we have, and it has made me more determined not to be a whiney old bint about the small things in life.

5dits

Lantern Swinger
Bawsack said:
The Telegraph? The Mail? you will never get the truth in there, what does The Sport say???

never let the truth get in the way of a good dit shippers

Blood

MIA
NEWSFLASH: Daily Mail in 'have a go at the RN shocker'... I wonder who the RN has upset within that particular organisation?

As for the dolphins, i heard a dit from the Daily Mail, that it had something to do with the carrier 'HMS QUEEN ELIZABETH' which was alongside in Falmouth Naval base at the time....

Guns

War Hero
Not so smart now are they. With their cute squeaks and playful manner.

Them and squirrels are plotting I tell, plotting something big.

AfterSSE

War Hero
Regardless of what or who is to blame, lets not forget that Dolphins/Porpoises are a sailors friend, and that this is a sad affair to say the least..(hope the Navy did not have a hand in this)... :threaten:

lsadirty

War Hero
Gives the Green Pollies an excuse for putting sonar alongside SEA DART as "non-essential kit". SHITE, I shouldn't've said that - walls have ears !!

AfterSSE

War Hero
lsadirty said:
Gives the Green Pollies an excuse for putting sonar alongside SEA DART as "non-essential kit". SHITE, I shouldn't've said that - walls have ears !!

Walls?....... :dwarf:

janner

MIA
Book Reviewer
Bawsack said:
The Telegraph? The Mail? you will never get the truth in there, what does The Sport say???

The nipple count is higher today, look at page three for the dead female dolphins displaying all.

Jason_A

Midshipman
As per usual, the newspapers are quick to point the finger at anyone.

As many have said here, there are a number of reasons on why this could of happened. But it seems the newspapers just want to make theirselves look good once again...

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
I Dolphins in the surface fleet Joining the Royal Navy 39
R What do you go through in order to earn your Dolphins? Submariners 24
MoD_RSS New tech teams to protect dolphins and create next generation of super strong aluminium MoD News 0
BreathingOutOnTheWayUp Earned Your Dolphins? If "Yes" then Read On. Submariners 8
G Dolphins Submariners 2
gerrysurfs Wearing of dolphins and being PMU submarines Submariners 16
Ballistic Question Time Dolphins? Films, Music, TV & All Things Artsy 18
D Can you wear dolphins upon return to general service? Submariners 37
soleil Dolphins For The Duchess Submariners 10
S How long does it take a submariner to get his Dolphins? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 8
1 Embroidered Combat Dolphins? Submariners 21
W dolphins Petitions 28
I Can I wear my Dolphins? Submariners 13
K submariner pay and getting your dolphins Submariners 25
K submariner pay and getting your dolphins Submariners 2
etsandy Image of Dolphins? Submariners 2
H receiving your dolphins Submariners 30
I Cry Baby Dolphins Submariners 51
soleil RN Exercise/Stranded Dolphins/ZSL Report Current Affairs 4
B Boat and dolphins Submariners 6
WreckerL Dolphins award accident Submariners 4
soleil Newly qualified submariner swallows his Dolphins Submariners 28
S Dolphins Submariners 3
shellbackmac Introduction of Dolphins in the early '70s Submariners 32
whitemouse Miami Dolphins Diamond Lil's 7
Permissionopenmuzzledoor How old are meeeee dolphins. Submariners 24
H Submarine dolphins Submariners 13
GSSR_Vvd Earning your dolphins Submariners 12
slim Bay dolphins have Welsh dialect The Gash Barge 0
creeper Wearing Dolphins on mess undress Submariners 12
future_ET(MES) your dolphins Submariners 34
B WHALES AND DOLPHINS The Fleet 5
Squirrel 2 people, poss military personnel, killed in NI Current Affairs 56
MoD_RSS Sentence increased for Northampton man who killed another man in pub attack MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Has coronavirus killed globalisation: speech by Laura Clarke MoD News 0
MoD_RSS British soldiers killed during WW2 are honoured as they are laid to rest MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: The grave of Private Frederick Foskett, Lancashire Fusilier, killed during the Great War rededicated a century later MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Cornish soldier killed during World War 1 is finally laid to rest MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: GRAVES OF TWO IRISH SOLDIERS KILLED DURING THE GREAT WAR ARE REDEDICATED A CENTURY LATER MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: MOD appeal for families of missing or killed soldiers from the Korean War MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Royal Navy sailor killed during World War 1 is honoured as he is laid to rest MoD News 2
MoD_RSS News story: Graves of 2 north west soldiers killed in the great war rededicated a century later MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Four unknown soldiers killed during WW1 are laid to rest with full military honours MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: British army officer killed during WW1 is honoured as he is laid to rest MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Seven british Army soldiers killed during World War 1 are honoured as they are laid to rest MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Grave of a Seaforth Highlander rededicated 100 years after he was killed in world war 1 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Fatality notice: Sergeant Matt Tonroe has been killed in action in the Middle East MoD News 2
MoD_RSS News story: Could it be Edward, urgent appeal for family of Bedfordshire sergeant killed in... MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Final resting place of a Yorkshire born WW2 soldier killed in the 'Bridge too... MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: World War 1 soldier who was killed in the Battle of the Somme finally laid to... MoD News 0