Dolly Gray

dustyjack

Lantern Swinger
Need some help please lads and lasses. I have been tasked with finding out the origin of the nicknmae "Dolly" for anyone with the surname of Gray. Anyone have any ideas? I have had a quick look around the net but not found anything.

I think it might be from the (early) First World War song, Goodbye Dolly Gray. Google will give you the whole song, but the chorus is:

Goodbye Dolly, I must leave you,
Tho' it breaks my heart to go.
Something tells me I am needed at the front to fight the foe.
See the soldier boys are marching,
And I can no longer stay.
Hark! I hear the bugles calling,
'Goodbye Dolly Gray, Gray! Gray!

I say early First World War because the songs got less patriotic when thousands of troops had died at the Front.

Does anyone happen to know the origins of Crash Evans? My old man said it came from a pilot that tried to fly through the gates of his establishment and, well, crashed.

wardmaster said:
I think it might be from the (early) First World War song, Goodbye Dolly Gray. Google will give you the whole song, but the chorus is:

Goodbye Dolly, I must leave you,
Tho' it breaks my heart to go.
Something tells me I am needed at the front to fight the foe.
See the soldier boys are marching,
And I can no longer stay.
Hark! I hear the bugles calling,
'Goodbye Dolly Gray, Gray! Gray!

I say early First World War because the songs got less patriotic when thousands of troops had died at the Front.
I think you'll find it was a music hall song from the Boer War, around the turn of the (last) century.

2BM

Yes! Just googled "Dolly Gray" and was able to listen to a 1901 recording made by Harry McDonough. So, Dustyjack, you'll be able to learn the tune as well and impress your oppos!!
Best of luck,

2BM

What a cop out!!
I set him that task so he goes running to rum ration!!!
You will have to try harder next time dusty jack no brownie points for you!!
a disgusted OH!!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
wave_dodger Current Affairs 7
A Current Affairs 22
MustangTC The Fleet 5