dog fighting - sorry not really a sport!

Discussion in 'Sports and Adventure Training' started by golden_rivet, Oct 1, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. The other day I saw a lad on the train with 2 dogs. The male was very interested in the female who was quite subdued and had several deep gouges along the tops of her back legs and lower back. Looked to me as if she had been fighting. I asked the lad how she got that way and he got quite upset.

Anyway I've just seen something that implies that bitches on heat are particularly sought by those in the dog-fighting fraternity.

Does anyone know anything about this?

I know next time I should report it.
  2. Dog fighting? Fighter pilots love it!

Sorry about that GR but I couldn't resist it. I think abuse of animals is sick.
  3. Did he get upset with you, perceiving you to be too beaky for his liking or having to recount something nasty that had happened to his dog?

You could report it but would the scuffs be that interested? In all fairness, where would they start looking and for what?

4. It's absolutely rampant in the USA despite recent bans in the last few States which allowed it. I think that good 'ol Lousy Anna was the last state to make dog-fighting a crime but it still goes on everywhere.

Senate Bill 866 (Louisiana Dogfighting Amendments (passed))

Statute Details
    Printable Version
    Citation: Louisiana Senate Bill 866 (2001)

Citation: Louisiana Senate Bill 866 (2001)

Summary: This Louisiana senate bill passed in the summer of 2001 defines the act of dogfighting and makes admissible as evidence of dogfighting certain paraphernalia used in the training of dogs to fight and injuries or alterations to the dog that are consistent with dogfighting. It exempts certain activities, including the training of dogs to protect livestock and the cropping of dogs' ears for cosmetic purposes. Upon first conviction, violation incurs a fine of not more than one thousand dollars or imprisonment with or without hard labor for not more than one year, or both. Upon a second or subsequent conviction, the offender shall be fined not more than three thousand dollars or be imprisoned with or without hard labor for not more than three years, or both

The other sport is cock-fighting which [I think] was just made illegal in New Mexico but of course still remains legal in Lousy Anna which is a State renowned for it's sportsmanship :thumright:

5. And unfortunately to our shame it's becoming a problem in Canada as well... :threaten:

It has become a status thing, much in the same way as "bling" was...(and still is) as well as a "macho" statement to other gangs....

In my humble opinion the owners of these poor animals should be kitted with a muzzle with spikes on it and gloves with razors and dropped into a pit and told to have a go at each other...the incentive being whoever survives only gets to do jail time :threaten:

Not to cast aspersions on the southerners in the US, but it's almost like their moonshine and bootlegging industries, everyone knows it's illegal but what the long as the local cops don't take much notice, where's the harm...
  6. er actually he did get a bit peeved off at me and slammed the railway waiting room door in my face. There were loads of people around so I wasn't that bothered. The poor dog was cowering in the corner, looked most unhappy. He claimed he had 'cut her' himself and I said it looked to me as if she had been fighting ... I'd rather thought the RSPCA were interested ... perhaps not ...
  7. I'll forgive you - LOL - but only cos my Mum and Dad were crabs and I wouldn't be here without the glorious RAF ...

(runs for cover)
  8. Bloody hell! Don't get me wrong but I see that as less excusable than dog fighting! I wonder if he's disposed of the evidence now.

I'm not a violent person by any means; but I do wish that I could meet one of these people, on their, own before I'm to old to express myself adequately.
  9. they didn't look like cuts POL and he was being a prat and winding me up he said it in a sarky way as if he thought I would over react to it ... its hard to describe the conversation in these 'bites' (no pun intended) I think I what I did was probably a bit risky however I really couldn't stop myself when I saw the state of the poor dog. No bad thing tho if there is even a small chance that these wretched people see that people aren't going to just pretend it isn't happening.