MIA
Book Reviewer
Life for a D/E Boats Crew As It Use To Be Circa 1967
1.Other than hands and teeth you did not wash. Up to 12 week patrols
2.You never undressed, except footwear, to turn in your bunk or any other time
3.You never ever had more than 5.5 hours un-interrupted sleep
4.All your kit has to fit into 50cm X40cmX40cm locker or under your mattress
5.You “will” smell of diesel plus body odours
6.In general divided into three watches when dived. 2 hour watches 8am to 8 pm then 3 hour watches back to 8am. Four watches on the surface paasage routine.
7.All rates kept watches except the Steward, two chefs, tanky and Coxswain
8.No air conditioning in hot climates
9.Little heating in cold climates
10.When surface running, a 30 knot wind, of the outside ambient temperature, will pass down the tower thru the control room and engine room. You could of course go on watch in the sound room in T shirt and jeans then surface in North Atlantic in winter and get stuck on the helm with no chance to get warm clothing until all settles down.
11.In harbour when charging the batteries the same wind will pass from the accommodation hatch to the engine room.
12.No shaving except last night of the patrol
13.In wet or rough weather on the surface vast quantities of water come into the control room some to be caught by the Elephants Trunk and Bird Bath the rest you mop up.
14.There is no place or opportunity to dry anything
15.If a visitor or very junior member of the crew you may have to sleep with a Mk8 or Mk 23 torpedo, sacks of vegetables, full gash bags and sundry other gear.
16.At what ever time you surface you will have to get up to assist in ditching gash
17.You will never be left inboard unless sick which means a pierhead jump for some other poor numphty, or the boat is day running in the lochs close to Faslane
18.Once the fifty odd crates of beer are used up by the 68 man crew, no beer.
19.Multi choice at meals, no bunhouse galley, 1. Take it, 2 Leave it, 3 Wear it
20.When snorting the air pressure inside the boat will vary from 21 inches to 30 inches normal is about 30 inches your ear drums soon become flexible and will pop in your sleep. (mine still do when I fly)
21.Your bedding will be a khaki nylon sleeping bag and pillow.
22.Foulweather and water proof clothing will be blue plastic/nylon, gortex had not been invented. Reasonably dry but sweat like a pig.
23.Heads, three traps with doors, do not shut if going deep or you will be in there until you come shallow. Old T Boats, you do not want to know.

BillyNoMates

War Hero
Eardums? I certainly remember that (on P&O's). The early warning noise was the sound of the green CO2 cannisters crumpling inwards when the mast dipped and a rather nice vacuum started to build up. THEN you felt the sides of your head caving in.
A painful experience and not a nice way to be woken up off watch.

Last edited:

BillyNoMates

War Hero
p.s.

Anyone ever sliced their hands to pieces making up gash cannisters? Slipery, oily, shiny bits of metal with razor sharp edges. The gloves provided were always missing and I had many instances of hacked and sliced fingers.......claret all over the f***ing place - then going on watch with me digits covered in blue galley plasters!

Last edited:

ratsroden

Lantern Swinger
Eardums? I certainly remember that (on P&O's). The early warning noise was the sound
of the green CO2 cannisters crumpling inwards when the mast dipped and a rather
nice vacuum started to build up. THEN you felt the sides of your head caving in.
A painful experience and not a nice way to be woken up off watch.
Not that I've experienced it but was told of boats where permission was required for movement fore and aft. To keep trim it was on a one for one basis.
Apocryphal?

janner

MIA
Book Reviewer
On the early Boats this was a fact, and the same applied to the X craft and the like.

WreckerL

War Hero
p.s.

Anyone ever sliced their hands to pieces making up gash cannisters? Slipery, oily, shiny bits of metal
with razor sharp edges. The gloves provided were always missing and I had many instances of hacked
and sliced fingers.......claret all over the f***ing place - then going on watch with me digits covered
in blue galley plasters!
Luckily I never had to make the cans up, but as it has to be an SR ditching gash at sea, I have shredded my fingers more than once!

skyvet

GCM
Thanks for that trip down memory lane Janner!
I also remember watchkeeping in the motor room, and sucking up the heat from the donks after we'd been snorting or surface running, and the diesels had to dispel their heat which came straight into the motor room.

janner

MIA
Book Reviewer
My hearing aid packed up the other day, popped in to the local hospital audio department and had an interesting conversation with the audiologist. Explained about snorting and the problems it caused and she was of the opinion that it would have been the start of my hearing problems, not just the ear drums but it would also affect the tube that goes away from them. She said She was interested to hear about it because she had another Submariner and an RN Radio Operator on her books. I explained that I had been both and got a "Well there you are then." and a lovely smile.

PedlarP

Lantern Swinger
Not that I've experienced it but was told of boats where permission was required for movement fore and aft. To keep trim it was on a one for one basis.
Apocryphal?
Generally speaking the movement of crew fwd and aft on an O-boat wasn't an issue. However, during certain evolutions, I.E. UWL, bottoming, inshore ops etc., unexpected weight changes such as movement of the crew could have a serious impact on the trim, hence the crew remained at Action Stations and no movement, unless absolutely necessary, was permitted. This was especially true when conducting an UWL.

BillyNoMates

War Hero
Generally speaking the movement of crew fwd and aft on an O-boat wasn't an issue. However, during certain evolutions, I.E. UWL, bottoming, inshore ops etc., unexpected weight changes such as movement of the crew could have a serious impact on the trim, hence the crew remained at Action Stations and no movement, unless absolutely necessary, was permitted. This was especially true when conducting an UWL.
"Graunch-graunch-graunch-graunch-graunch..."

(assorted RFA's/HMS's - mostly during Perisher running. Other floating things, and submerged ones...didn't do that because we were never there and it never happened)

Last edited:

BillyNoMates

War Hero
Running "shut down"
(1). Numpty coming down gets numpty going up to open lower lid
(2). Downwards numpty opens upper lid and gets in, comes down through open lower lid
(3). Downward numpty forgets to shut upper lid
(4). Upward numpty goes up, lower lid gets shut and he don't shut the upper lid
(5). Lower lid gets shut - upper lid still open. Goffer time.
(6). Next bloke coming down either has to submerged himself in the tower because the scuppers are all blocked or he don't tell the poor sap opening the lower lid that the tower is toppers.
(7). "Rags to the control room!"

Does that ring a wet bell?

Last edited:

fishhead

War Hero
A trip down memory lane. We mostly withstood the privations of the 1960s diesel boat because everyone from the skipper down endured the same. There was no them and us. Pirate rig ruled for everybody and as long as duties were performed and you knew how to do what was required of you your life was tolerable. I joined boats without the slightest idea of how they ran and worked and never wanted to return to the surface navy. The comradeship was great and the runs ashore epic.

ratsroden

Lantern Swinger
I think the submariner telling me explained it was someone aft wanting to go for'ard to the heads requiring an opposite number. Permission was then required to flush.
Or the other way round. I asked if it was apocryphal as I know what submariners are .A first class bunch inclined to pull the plonkers.of the uninitiated.

Sumo

War Hero
I think the submariner telling me explained it was someone aft wanting to go for'ard to the heads requiring an opposite number. Permission was then required to flush.
Or the other way round. I asked if it was apocryphal as I know what submariners are .A first class bunch inclined to pull the plonkers.of the uninitiated.
Aft had an open urinal but no crapper, there was always the tech office roof phantom crapper?

I have also heard it said that Submariners are first class:)

fishhead

War Hero
The only time I recall there being a restriction on movement of people for'd to Aft or vice versa was when we tried to achieve a stopped trim For the uninitiated that requires the boat to be near stopped underwater neither going up or down.

Sumo

War Hero
The only time I recall there being a restriction on movement of people for'd to Aft or vice versa was when we tried to achieve a stopped trim For the uninitiated that requires the boat to be near stopped underwater neither going up or down.
standard practice under ice

Last edited: