Does the Navy have a decent Chess scene?

Discussion in 'Hobbies & The Great Indoors' started by Zerrhh, Nov 20, 2012.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Chess is my favourite hobby and I'm hoping I'll be able to continue playing chess in the Navy. Does anyone have any knowledge on whether there's any chess clubs within the Navy branches? Thanks.

Try looking at this; it may not help, as I cannot open it? Some shore bases have all sorts of nerdy clubs, Rugby, Football, netball, Judo etc. you may find Chess amongst them, on ships you may find likeminded you may not, as with all small clubs if there is not one and you have enough interest and enthusiasm start your own.
  3. Do chess players up board if they get dicked at chess?
  4. Whats wrong with Uckers????
    • Like Like x 2
  5. Nothing, once the newbie enters the mess and find the excitement of playing Uckers, with the element of risk to life and limb he will change his favored game.

As for chess up board, one has to assume mess rule stand so yes.
  6. I think chess is pretty low on the list when it comes to jacks favourite pastimes, sleeping is one above chess that springs to mind, but you can always check mate.
    • Like Like x 2
  7. Subtle. Very subtle. :thumbleft:
  8. Kind of reminds me of a Pinky coming in our mess once and asking if anyone was up for Bridge? From the deepest recesses of his pit, a voice replied nah, Skippers still up there.
  9. Not that I play chess ... But there is an RN chess club my old boss is part of that gang
  10. Tried teaching 'Er Indoors" Uckers once ... never again!
  11. Ageing_Gracefully

Ageing_Gracefully War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

For that we read - You taught her to play uckers, she cuffed you, you couped the board in a huge huff, stormed out the room and you haven't spoken to her since.

Own up.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Give you an 8 piecer by any chance
  13. I am aware that this is the equivalent of stating that I hate Cornish pasties to the Cornish, but uckers is a load of old toss.

In my opinion.
  14. tiddlyoggy

tiddlyoggy War Hero Book Reviewer

15. Now that is a reason to start the outrage bus up. I take it you were shite at it Guzz?
  16. When in collingrad Ukers was our lunchtime entertainment.

When on class socials with partners they wanted to know what Uckers was, so we taught them how to play?

What a bunch of back stabbing, six throwing, timber shifting, cheating twats they turned out to be, they were quite good players they had all the right attributes.:evil2:
  17. I rest my case ... only you missed out Ludo playing witch! :headbang:
  18. That was a given, they thought it was Ludo on steroids, ever played the board game sorry, same attributes required.
    They first thought it was a boring game until they found they could be back stabbing bitches
  19. Uckers in the 829 crewies play room was considered a 'blood sport' along side 'chase the pisser'!!

I have to admit to missing a few mixy blobs and blow backs.

Our ultimate Uckers Board had a lip around the underside to enable easy access to the up board mode!!