Does Service in the URNU/OTC/UAS go towards LSGC medals?

Discussion in 'SCC and URNU' started by BARNEYRNSM, Apr 27, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Does service in any of the above go towards any type of medal? Checked the MOD website and it talks about service in the regular,reserves or cadets for QGJM, does it count towards any type of service as far as medals go? Dont know anyone who has served in one so cant ask!
  2. I have absolutly no idea, nor does any oppinion of mine have any weight or validity.

However I would bloody hope not. Simply because an LSGC takes some earning in that you have to be and remain a pretty good boy. Lets face it the temptations placeed in front of you while a member of a URNU or the like arn't quite like the ones you will face in the mob.

Or did I just bite.
  3. No its a serious question other wise I would have put it in Diamond Lils. Been asked and thought someone on here might know,as i could not find a definate answer.
  4. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Firstly someone in an URNU/UAS/OTC is more likely to join as an Officer. Officers don't get LS&GC gongs unless they joined as a rating - or so I always thought (UY & SUY only).

With regards qualifying service URNU students, a few years back, who went on to join the RN could count their URNU service as qualifying time for being awarded the Queens Golden jumble-sale medal, so I'm guessing they maybe able to use the qualifying time towards an LS & GC gong if they join as a rating also.

Perversely, continuing service in the Naval Careers Service does not count towards a bar to the LS&GC nor does it entitle you to be put forward for the MSM, but it does if you are in the Sea Cadets apparently.
  5. Whoa there - I'm confused! I like the pretty pictures and just spotted Barney and 4 knot with the same avatar.

Can I claim my prize?
  6. Thanks Ninja,glad I got my MSM whilst still in! Wavy Navy CCF now,MBE perhaps in years to come for me?
  7. Ninja_Stoker

Skip the MBE, just ask for the CBE! :wink:
  8. Splendid! Sounds like a plan!
    That bomber pin they are issuing,can RNR CCF put in for it? You can probably see the RNTM,seen the bit on NN website,says veterans can't have have but what about RNR CCF? I know I should let go and move on but I love free bling!LOL
  9. Blackrat

Blackrat War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

MBE? No chance mate. I would, without hesitation, put you up for a BUM though, even if you are a drink swiping, fag stealing CCF swinger!

Mind you, if there is a Diamond Jumbilee medal (which i've heard there may well be), i'm sure you will qualify for that mucker. :D
  10. Just read the RNTM. Veterans can wear them and vets are to self regulate as to eligibility (bomber walts?) but they have to purchase the pin. To qoute the RNTM "Details of commercial sources of supply will be passed to the submarine association when known"
  11. Ninja_Stoker

Talking of Walts, this quote from arrse made me chuckle:
  12. bomber walts? My god I only went bombers because they got rid of diesel boats! mind you dead easy to be a bomber walt, no jolly dits,only run ashore is Coulport, of course there is the longest bomber patrol dit,16 weeks I think, had a ships company of about 2000 last I heard!