Does it not annoy you?

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Mutley1101, Apr 9, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi all....hope this finds you well;

I just wondered whether it annoyed any of you serving that it seems only the army and royal marines ( i know RM's are navy) get all the PR for being out on opertations. There are plenty of Navy personnel out in Afghan and iraq, but we never hear about them. Does this not annoy you?

also apart from the RM's, what other branch are most likely to spend more time in Afghan than any other?

2. tiddlyoggy

tiddlyoggy War Hero Book Reviewer

I wouldn't say it annoys me, no. Any credit given to the forces by the press is good news and well deserved. Perhaps the RN should get a little more recognition, but it's hardly worth losing sleep over. I'm just happy when the media give us support, they're so eager to criticise given even the slightest of chances.
  3. Can't say it annoys me at's the boots on the ground who are taking the casualties and doing all the hard stuff. The RN are usually in the base areas, well protected and not likely to even hear the sound of gunfire let alone be involved. The thought of your average Jack being let loose in the Afghan wilds with real bullets and stuff the that goes bang is something for nightmares :)

The Navy has a lot of supply guys out there aswell as Woo's and other odds n sods.
  4. It doesn't annoy me, however it would be nice for them to get a little more recognition for the work they do out there. Joe Public doesn't hardly know that they are out there. All they see is Jack up to no good in the media.

Everyone out there is doing a great job we all hope they remain safe.
  5. Dont you mean Ross Kemp :p
  6. Don't forget the RN Medical Branch Officers and Ratings who help man the medical facilities and also provide medical staff for the Royal Marines in the front line. Medics serving with the RMs earn and wear their green berets with pride. And no, it doesn't annoy me; you get used to the RN being lumped in with "soldiers" and "military". The folks who really matter do know what the RN does.
  8. Don't be so sure. Although I never made it out to the sandy places myself, a couple of my RN colleagues were out there as tech support. Mortar attacks were a regular occurance and shrapnel from one went straight through the wall of the office, immediately where they had been working moments before.
  9. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

In 2008, there were over 1,000 Naval personnel serving in Afghanistan besides the Royal Marines.

Most of those serving were in support of the Royal Marines in roles as diverse as Doctors to Drivers, from Pilots to Vehicle Mechanics - 800 miles from the sea.

Going back into the mists of time my Dad said to me: "You're not joining the Army because you'll get shot at in Ireland". Twelve months later I was getting bombed by the Argentine Naval Air Squadrons instead.

The simple fact is that no matter which service you join, you can expect to serve in areas of conflict & very often the public perception of who is actually involved is no different today than it was when the Naval Division served in the trenches during the first World War.
  10. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

If you get annoyed because of the lack of media attention that the RN receives, then you're doing the job for the wrong reasons... :oops:
  11. Does/did it annoy me? Hell no, if we got PR there was usually a phone call and godalmighty bollocking to follow..... sometimes you're not supposed to be places you are, might not be your fault, maybe someone thought it would be a laugh to land on an oil rig and take some phots....

If you join up (assuming you're not in or you'd know the answer to your Q) and meet members of the worlds journo pool, you'll find out why they are so well liked by the uniformed services. They lie to you (off the record, what do you think of your CO/job/pay/conditions/the enemy) then they stitch you up, but worst of all they cock up all the relevant details, like calling you a soldier if you're a sailor, a crab if your a woo, calling NCOs "officers", labelling all SF as SAS etc etc. Eventually you draw the conclusion they are all self serving slime who would shit on oppos/family members/first born to get ahead. Very occasionally a decent one shows up but don't count on it. In '91 there were about 300 journos in theatre, in '03 something like 3000, and with mini-HD camcorders so cheap now, if you do something embarrassing, illegal or stupid you can guarantee the video will beat you home to your trial. The occasional BZ and good news from the front doesn't do much to dissuade me from the view that there are very few actual journalists reporting the issues and stories and keeping us all honest, so much as people looking to make their name from someone else's misfortune.
  12. Annoyed? No. Disappointed when those who should know better display their ignorance? Yes.

Incidentally, don't forget these guys, even though they are all lumped together as 'UK troops' in the headline.