Does anyone know whan the SA80 is to be replaced?

Discussion in 'The Corps' started by Nails, Jan 18, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Lets be honest now, what's the point in havcing top quality training (for the mot part) yet give our troops **** rifles?. the SA80 is, to be quite honest, a bag of sh!t. The problems with are too numerous to list but the worst is the terrible, terrible attribute of it being a strictly right handed weapon. Thus putting left handed/eyed shooters at a disadvantage, and anyone wanting to shoot around a left hand corner in serious danger.

So does anyone know when the SA80 is to be replaced with a better weapon. Hell get some AKs in if we have to. It goes to show that the SA80 isn't popular as there are no computer games (except stalker where it's one of the poorer weapons) feature the SA80 in them. Know what i'm saying?

2. And what problems are these? The right handed thing isnt really an issue. I think the pros of having a shorter weapon out weigh it.
    I think im right in thinking that if we had a weapon that could be fired from either hand it would have to be longer like an M16 is right?

3. No, but I know what you're smoking :scratch:

4. You have to wait until you've scored 1500 points with the SA80, then you can upgrade to a Phase Plasma Rifle in the 40 watt range with underslung MiniNuke launcher like they use in 'Starship Trooper'.

5. Course it's an issue. Ever tried wanking with ur left hand? Not as much fun is it! Imaginbe if you had to play pool, or darts left handed. Would tyou consider that an "issue". Us lefties are getting shit on and it IS an issue for us. Plus we're also left eye domminant so it's not as easy shooting. Especially while on the move or snap shooting.

the M16 is a better weapon than the SA80, The AK is a better weapon the SA80, the G3 is, The FAMAS is. All these weapons can be fired from the left shoulder and they are used successfully in the theatre of war and on XBox Live all over the world.

6. Maby a good old bow an arrow is to your liking?

7. Now you're just being silly. But a bow and arrow is probab;y more reliable than an SA80 at least. And it can be fired left handed.

8. The SA80 can be fired left handed if you are trying to blow your own brains out....... Just a thaught

9. for the love I god I hope he fires it left handed now lmao :lol:

10. Okay, so Nails is trolling and not very well.

That said... he hasn't even picked a good target. Shades of the last time HM Forces had a right-hand-only weapon forced on them. It was an infamously awful rifle that had hatred heaped on it from the start. "The rifle was always bad, its defects always notorious, and the propagation of badness will doubtless continue for several generations to come" was one opinion of the time.

Don't we all shudder in horror at the time the Lee-Enfield rifle was on issue? (Try firing ten rounds rapid left-handed with one and see how well it works.) It wasn't fashionable and it didn't suit the armchair theorists. After a dodgy start to its service life, requiring some thorough redesign, it turned out to be a very good weapon.

Back in the day, when I'd get issued an L1A1 Self Loading Rifle, we'd get told by keen young subalterns that alternate men in file should put the weapon to their left shoulders, that we should fire left-handed around cover to the left, et cetera ad nauseam. Did we ever get time to practice shooting for score with our off-hands? Did we fcuk. And if you don't practice, you won't hit, and you can't miss your way to winning a firefight.

11. I'm not trolling. I can't believe people actually think that the fact it can't be fired left handed is not an issue for left eye domminant people. Clearly it's just right handed/eyed people saying this. Next tiume yopu get the chance to fire a decent rifle, try shooting it from your left shoulder to see just how **** it is having to fire from ur weakest side.

Whoever's decision it was to choose the SA80 as the standard issue rifle for the entire British armed forces is an idiot. Simple as.

12. I thought with your cage fighting experiance and skate boarding bundled with all that xbox playing you wouldnt need a gun :lol:

13. I don't know about nails being left eye dominant but he's certainly ONE EYE dominant.

14. I've got a good mind to go down to the offices at the MOD and spit in the face of whoever is responsible.

15. I thought you had signed the official secrets act!

16. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

Course it's an issue. Ever tried wanking with ur left hand? Not as much fun is it! Imaginbe if you had to play pool, or darts left handed. Would tyou consider that an "issue". Us lefties are getting shit on and it IS an issue for us. Plus we're also left eye domminant so it's not as easy shooting. Especially while on the move or snap shooting.

the M16 is a better weapon than the SA80, The AK is a better weapon the SA80, the G3 is, The FAMAS is. All these weapons can be fired from the left shoulder and they are used successfully in the theatre of war and on XBox Live all over the world.[/quote]

Err, yes...it's ok actually, you can half convince yourself it's a lovely jenny occifer doing the deed. :wink:

17. Battlefield 2 features it......

To fire it left handed, extend your left hand in front of you and fire it one handed with a gritty look on your plug, blinking with each round, but you need an Ahnold one liner like "aaaahl be beck" to really make it stick.

18. Braaap braaap!

19. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

I have the oddest, dim memory from years ago that there was such a thing as a left-handed Lee-Enfield although I never saw one (and being right-handed, didn't care anyway). Anyone else heard of it?

20. A few custom made jobs were turned out by civvy gunsmiths, but no RO versions.