Does anyone have any tips for the Interview?

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Scarface2009, Mar 26, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I have just passed my RT test today, i do however have my interview in 4 days, does anyone who has had the interview know what they ask you, i know they will ask you about your career option, do you need to know a lot about the history of the navy and the current operations?

no links please, i have been through them, just people who have had the recruiting interview

thanks!

2. Be yourself. Smiling doesn't hurt either.

3. Just be honest. :wink:

4. Speak softly,and carry a big stick.

5. Chest out. Stomach in, lovely boy.

Oh and read the other 28 threads on this subject in the noobs forum.

6. PM Thingy,he is our resident expert in these matters

7. Clean shoes, please please have those...and a slight knowledge of what you want to get into...

8. Some history of the RN will help, as well as current RN deployments and ships in service and so forth.

9. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

If you want to brighten your Careers Advisers' day, speak very, very softly, or better still whisper & stutter at the same time.

It may not get you the job, but it makes for a more interesting interview I always find.

Alternatively, if you want to be a square:

10. I do have a tip, actually. If you feel unfomfortable keeping eye contact, focus just above the eye instead, It still looks like you're making eye contact.

11. I have a tip actually, when you're talking to someone, make eye contact. It shows confidence and maturity. To do otherwise is just plain rude frankly.

Listen to the advice of the recruiter too, rather than that of random idiots.

12. do not be late turn up least 15mins early and just read the navy news or something

13. Viz? Das Kapital? Hot ******* latex girls? Daily Mail?

14. Nuts mag

15. Ask for tin of red death

16. :eek:ccasion5:

Sometimes my no-smilie rule has to be broken.

17. i had my interview about 4 weeks ago and i was dreading it, but advise from all on here did a world of good, polished shoes, no slouching, be honest, look in their eyes when talking to them, i wasnt asked anything about the navy's history, but i did touch up on it to be sure, interview didnt seem formal at all, just like a chat with a friend really, it was quite easy, just dont worry :)

18. Of course the chat was informal. As far as I can see the main requisite is that you are alive. They will recommend some God forsaken branch for you to join.

19. the advice ninja stoker has given you is the best advice there is. its actually the advice i used before i went for my interview and i was in the same position as you feeling nervous etc... read that thoroughly and take heed of what is says. the interview in my opinion was more like a chat, covering all the topics that ninja stoker has listed more or less word for word. the interviewer has a list off all the questions on the other side of his name tag on the table. they ask questions directly linked to the advice you have been given.

dont slouch, speak clearly and confidently, try and maintain eye contact(or staring at the forehead of the interviewer may work :S), one thing i did was when i was asked a question i didnt know was simply say sorry you dont know the answer, looks better than bullshitting your way through it in my opinion. best advice i got was you can never be too prepared, the more prepared you are the less nervous you will be going into the interview.

i was told to read up on the royal navys current operations, some of the royal navys history ( i was asked who the royal navys first sea lord is?), you need to know the branch you are applying for inside out as you will be asked a lot of questions about this, basically what your role is,what you will do etc... they will ask you a few questions about your basic training(length of training,where do you train, where do your trade training after you finish at HMS Raleigh etc...), then you get asked questions about yourself.

prepare and you will do fine mate.

20. yes ,having your rectum reamed is still a hazard in the navee. Unfortunately regulations prevent the issue of vaseline so bring your own or make friends withe cooks who will let you have some beef dripping for a small fee