does any one know where i can get hold off a.......

Discussion in 'The Gash Barge' started by stokers64, Jul 27, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. i am trying to get hold of something of which does not really have a name as such but goes along the lines of breath tester or spirometer but its called alot of other things and often found in senior rates messes. i know they used to make them in the pipe shop in guzz, also a shop in falmouth used to sell them but not see one for years and wouldnt mind getting hold of one, does anyone know where they sell them or could get hold of one, and already been through ebay.

many thanks

2. or can anyone just even name the item in question?

3. Bosun's call.

4. be good if that could throw out talc

5. Like this?

http://www.digitalbreathalysers.co.uk/?gclid=CJP337bRjKMCFRculAodmiiecg

6. I've got one of these, as the limit here is much lower than the UK (25 as against 35). Now, I like to think I'm responsible and there are shed loads of alcohol free drinkies here, but some have a bit of alcohol in them, so it's nice to be certain you are way under the limit as you approach the Guardia Civil checkpoint.......

Now, back on thread, why would ANYONE want to check the breath of RN Submarine SRs? It defies belief!! The fact that they manufactured them (whatever they are) in the pipeshop speaks volumes!!

7. the device you seek is called a frou frou pipe. They are normally locally manufactured by your friendly local ADCRAFT(M). I used to have a drawing for one, I'll see if I can find it, scan it, and post it on here.

8. thank you very much, if you could get hold of the drawings it would be great thank you, also i would ask the pipe shop but its all civvis now!

9. Bloody things. I remember getting done by one of those at my mate's wedding bash. Being stupid, I managed to make 3 attempts before my eyes clogged up with foo-foo and I had to stagger to the heads to find a sink and plunge my face underwater to ensure I could see again :oops:

I wasn't the only one to make a complete idiot of myself and later on there were several sets of No 5s with talc around the collar. I was eventually told about the little hole I'd missed underneath, that I was supposed to cover with my finger......story of my life really!

10. Ah yes the foo foo pipe, I made one off those and I've still got it. Great for making a mess at drunken parties!