Doddery Careers Adviser, 45, takes on PRMC.

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
A good mate of mine, and fellow Careers Adviser, CPO Ian Hardcastle has decided to do his bit - he has already asked the recruiting field force to help him reach his target, but I thought I'd try to raise the profile a bit.

It's appreciated we all get swamped with charity requests, but as Ian has said below, everytime we hear of a casualty, one of us must have recruited the individual initially and it hits home.

CPO Ian Hardcastle said:
We all woke up on 10th May to the terribly sad news that a Royal Marine from 40 Commando had been killed in Afghanistan. He, like the rest of the brave lads out there was recruited through one of our offices. We all hope and pray that he will be the last RM to fall in Helmand. The sad fact is, he might not be be.

I want to do my bit, so, at the tender age of 45, I am attempting to complete the PRMC (22nd June). I have even got this romantic notion that I can pass it!! Whatever!! Anyway, I am prepared to put myself through it as a gesture of appreciation for what they are doing, and I would like your support to raise money for the men that don't return and the men that return less able than when they went out there. I am therefore calling on as many people from the Recruiting organisation to donate a small amount to my cause, and my chosen charities, The Royal Marine Charitable Trust Fund & Help for Heroes. Monies raised will be split between the two.

The Royal Marines Charitable Trust Fund

The RM Charitable Trust Fund exists to maintain the efficiency and 'esprit de corps' of the Royal Marines and to provide support for those in need. In addition to benevolence work, there are many other calls upon this fund. These range from the provision of wreaths for Remembrance services, support to veterans reunions and the RM Museum to the construction and maintenance of war memorials.
http://www.justgiving.com/ian-hardcastle0

Help for Heroes

http://www.justgiving.com/ian-hardcastle
Thanks

Nice one Ian

I plan to do a 52 mile ultra race next year for the RMBF. If I can spare a few quid ill through some your way.

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Cheers guys - already recognised some from this forum.

For those that don't know he's quite a fit bloke - last I heard he was hitting around level 13 or 14 on the bleep test & when he conducts the Royal Marines Acquaint Days (for potential Booties) in his area, he's seldom beaten on the 3 mile run, so it's a theoretically viable prospect.

For those that didn't go on to read Ians reasons on the Just Giving website:

Ian said:
To elaborate on My Main Reason

My next door neighbour flew out to Afghanistan several weeks ago with 40 Commando RM’s. Over the years I have developed a close bond with him and his family. I mentored him through the recruiting process and through training. He would often call me, and I would give him what advise I could. When he went out to Afghanistan I tied a yellow ribbon round the large tree opposite our house along with my 4 year old daughter and 3 year old son. At night the two of them kneel down at the side of their bed and mention him in their prayers. Their understanding is limited, but as they grow up, my wife and I will make sure that they learn about the sacrifice that him and the others with him, and those before them like Mne Liam Elms (a local lad who was killed last year) are prepared to make so that we can all live in a free and safe world. On 9th May 2010, the first, and god only prays, the last Royal Marine Commando fell in Helmand Province. As I heard the news on the radio my, heart sank. I was thankful that it wasn’t him. But, that fallen hero will most certainly be someone’s son, brother, boyfriend/husband or friend. God only knows what turmoil his family are going through. We pray that they all come back safe, and that the yellow ribbon that is on the tree that we look at every time we step out of the door is removed by our neighbour when he comes home, and not by my children!

Reason 2

My job is to recruit and select suitable men to join the Royal Marines, and part of this role involves advising candidates about what is involved in the PRMC, and how to prepare for it, but how do I really know what it’s like? For that reason I am willing to give it a go.

Reason 3

I believe I have mental strength, and I believe that if I prepare well, I can actually give a good account of myself. 45 years old is not the age when we throw the towel in physically, and I would like to make that point.

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
superpom said:
A few quid on the way....

'Per Mare Per Terram'
A very generous gesture - many thanks.

"By 'orse, By tram" indeedy.

Odds are he may well need one or other to help him around the endurance course. :wink:

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
No apologies for "bumping" this thread, in light of the tragic news of another Royal Marine killed yesterday in Afghanistan.

All donations, however small, to this worthy cause are very much appreciated.

The RM Charitable Trust Fund exists to maintain the efficiency and 'esprit de corps' of the Royal Marines and to provide support for those in need. In addition to benevolence work, there are many other calls upon this fund. These range from the provision of wreaths for Remembrance services, support to veterans reunions and the RM Museum to the construction and maintenance of war memorials.

Help for Heroes

http://www.justgiving.com/ian-hardcastle

X.R.D said:
Nice one Ian

I plan to do a 52 mile ultra race next year for the RMBF. If I can spare a few quid ill through some your way.

'Kinnel that poor bloody dog is going to have it's work cut out dragging your arse round again.

RM

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
In light of the tragic news once again of another Royal Marine killed yesterday in Afghanistan, categorically no apologies for "bumping" this thread.

All donations, however small, to this worthy cause are very much appreciated.