documentation Willam 1V

Discussion in 'History' started by nosey, May 23, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Could some kind person tell me where would the official documentation by William 1V regarding the allowance of officers to sit (on ship only) and toast the King, be kept.
    There must be some record somewhere as William would have had to get permission from King George 111, before he could pass this order.

Any ideas or comments gladly appreciated.

2. Thanks for that, but even there they say it can't be substantiated,
    any further ideas would be appreciated

3. We never gave a toss down any of my messes. I'm a complete and utter devoted republican . You can shoot Presidents. I will be there with my knitting!

4. You could try contacting the Royal Archives - they might be able to help.

The Royal Archives, Windsor Castle, Windsor, Berkshire SL4 1NJ.

However, it does state the following on their website:

The Royal Archives contains a number of collections of papers, mostly from the reign of King George III (1760-1820) onwards.

The official correspondence of King William IV was destroyed, virtually in its entirety, after his death by his surviving executor; however, some of the papers of his two Prime Ministers, Lords Grey and Melbourne, have been given to the Royal Archives. Only a small amount of random material has survived in the Royal Archives for the earlier Hanoverian Kings.

Link: http://www.royal.gov.uk/The Royal C...alArchives/CollectionsintheRoyalArchives.aspx

The British Library also holds some of the Royal Archives collection on microfilm. Email: [email protected]

Hope this helps.

SP

5. Thanks Sweetpea, it least it gives me a new road to follow, much appreciated