Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Doctor in the house?

[quote
Don't bother going to a Navy Sick Bay; they'll just put a Brufen on your forehead with HBM and tell you to bugger off and come back at 'Fresh Cases' tomorrow...[/quote]

Brufen ! that's being a bit extravant, couple of asprin's if your lucky.

Sorry - been working too hard and away for a couple of days.

Snapdragon - I agree that 7 mins isn't an awful lot but, without wanting to negate your problems, you have probably pulled a muscle in your back. You may not remember how because these things are commonly not painful at the time, only the next morning after the sweeling has had its 12 hours to take hold. In this case, there's nothing more to it. An osteopath will talk at you for hours about vertebrae, muscles, tendons etc then crunch them together for the simple reason that the longer they spend with you the more they charge you.

Before someone jumps on me and says "there could be other things - not just muscular pain" - yes, you are right, there could be. However, common things are common and this is likely to be muscular back pain. The next most common thing is a "slipped disc", in which case you wouldn't be able to move and if there was no improvement after a few days painkillers you'd need to be reviewed again.

Just because someone spends ages talking to you in big words (which they commonly don't bloody understand anyway) doesn't mean the outcome is any better.

Don't get me going about the placebo effect...

angrydoc said:
Just because someone spends ages talking to you in big words (which they commonly don't bloody understand anyway) doesn't mean the outcome is any better....

Wot big words were them then? :lol:

I totally agree with Snapdragon on the 10 minutes appointment time with the local GP --the pill syndrome

Scenario--tell doctor what the symptoms are he then goes on computer and presses a few buttons on the keyboard the computer then prints out a prescription .Advice is to try that for the course given if you get no better
come back :roll:

If its that simple why do we need a qualified Doctor---- they have now delegated to the local chemist a mandate for free[0ver 60's] medication for minor ailments -no doctors visit required.

Also medication side effects are becoming a problem.
Advice on anyone taking pills ----read the enclosed leaflet . Not happy go back to Doctor.

snapdragon said:
At the moment, kneeling on all fours shaking me arse is doing nothng but amusing my mother.

Enough said!! Send me the piccies please :lol:

Last time i went to my G.P she looked at me (knowing my profession) and asked me what i thought was wrong with me!! Well besides being a bit on the mad side i exclaimed that i thought i had an inner ear infection. Bloody useless!! Yes i agree that your injury may well be a pulled muscle but getting a second opinion like i did cant hurt can it? Also... in my experience they dont sit you down four hours wittering on about this, that and the other but as with any proper healthcare professional a Hx needs to be obtained to determine what has happened and what can be done about it. I'm afraid doctors, G.P's etc are all for masking pain until it goes away, not deal with the problem in hand!

angrydoc said:
Sorry - been working too hard and away for a couple of days.

Snapdragon - I agree that 7 mins isn't an awful lot but, without wanting to negate your problems, you have probably pulled a muscle in your back. You may not remember how because these things are commonly not painful at the time, only the next morning after the sweeling has had its 12 hours to take hold. In this case, there's nothing more to it. An osteopath will talk at you for hours about vertebrae, muscles, tendons etc then crunch them together for the simple reason that the longer they spend with you the more they charge you.

Before someone jumps on me and says "there could be other things - not just muscular pain" - yes, you are right, there could be. However, common things are common and this is likely to be muscular back pain. The next most common thing is a "slipped disc", in which case you wouldn't be able to move and if there was no improvement after a few days painkillers you'd need to be reviewed again.

Just because someone spends ages talking to you in big words (which they commonly don't bloody understand anyway) doesn't mean the outcome is any better.

Don't get me going about the placebo effect...

Angry Doc, i don't assume for a second i've done anything worse than strained a muscle- but my biggest gripe is why my back is so weak as i was in instant pain after putting my handbrake on and couldn't get out of my car. I really need to get this remedied before i go to basic, else i'm gonna be in a world of trouble. It's just weak, that's all, and i need to know how to strengthen it. I used to have a job that involved lifting which is where i did the same thing for the first time. I think i weakened it then. Was wondering if my currently weak abdominal muscles have any bearing on it.
I rate the placebo effect anyway! So what, i feel better, i don't care how :)

You need physio!!!

Use the mob to your advantage - your Sickbay will sort an appointment within days. In the NHS you would wait at least a month for the same thing. Oh, and it's free.

And yes, tablets mask pain so you can use the muscle again to build the strength back up! That's why you take them! I can never understand people who refuse painkillers, and there are thousands of them. They come hobbling into the Emergency Department having sprained their ankle and, when asked if they'd taken painkillers, deny it because they wanted the doctor to see how much pain they were in! Completely pointless.

Genuine injuries are diagnosable no matter how much painkiller is given, and don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

Not in the mob yet :(

It's not that i want anyone to see how much pain i'm in, just that i have a tendency to overdo things anyway.

It's much better now, thanks, so i'm going to really work on building back and abdominal muscles up again. Cheers for your help!

Latest Threads