Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Doctor in the house?

Bad backs and seized muscles best thing I ever took was DIAZEPAM
its great as a muscle relaxer . Only thing is its a 'upper' drug when you stop using it you get a bit short tempered and feel the world is against you!! Doesn't last long though.

Get the small dose pills--I think mine were 2mg . I had to ask the Doc for them.

andym said:
DickyB said:
I used to get really appalling headaches which would go on for up to four weeks, went to a chiropractor and it turned out I'd had whiplash for seventeen bloody years. It'll never be right now but the pain is only a fraction of what it was. Money well invested. :!:

LOL,i thought you were going to say you had your underpant 4 sizes too small! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Swinging in the breeze, andym, swinging in the breeze. :twisted:

Medicine these days is evidence-based - ie any treatment given to you by a doctor (physician, not one of these alternative therapists) has to have been proven to work well without major side-effects in large trials.

Osteopathy, on the other hand, has very dubious (if any) evidence that it works. They can clunk bones over eachother, but there is no evidence that you will not end up with worse problems in the long term (ie arthritis).

Proven treatments for muscular back pain are paracetamol, anti-inflammatories (commonly ibuprofen or diclofenac), and possibly low dose of sedatives (diazepam (Valium)) to relax muscles. Physiotherapy is also of significant benefit.

I wouldn't recommend osteopathy or chiropractic for back pain - rest it, take pain killers, and it will get better. If not, then go back to your GP and get some physio.

To those who swear by their osteopath - show me evidence there is no long-term ill-effect and I will reconsider my stance!

angrydoc said:
Proven treatments for muscular back pain are paracetamol, anti-inflammatories (commonly ibuprofen or diclofenac), and possibly low dose of sedatives (diazepam (Valium)) to relax muscles. Physiotherapy is also of significant benefit.

Although i think that the fact that people never actually find out why they're feeling as they do leads them to seek other help. I was only thinking of this a minute ago, actually. The doctor gave my mother some tablets to help with migranes, instead of trying to find out why she gets them (Too much caffeine, chocolate and not enough water, probably!). I'm not someone who wants to take tablets, i want to know what i've done so i can not do it again. A doctor would give me ibuprofen and that's that. They don't have time for anything else.
I've been having loads of trouble with getting an explanation for some, er, lady issue that's been going on for years and i'm getting so frustrated.
All i'm saying is i certainly can understand why people seek help beyond the NHS, i'm getting pretty desperate myself :(

snapdragon said:
angrydoc said:

Although i think that the fact that people never actually find out why they're feeling as they do leads them to seek other help. I was only thinking of this a minute ago, actually. The doctor gave my mother some tablets to help with migranes, instead of trying to find out why she gets them (Too much caffeine, chocolate and not enough water, probably!). I'm not someone who wants to take tablets, i want to know what i've done so i can not do it again. A doctor would give me ibuprofen and that's that. They don't have time for anything else.
I've been having loads of trouble with getting an explanation for some, er, lady issue that's been going on for years and i'm getting so frustrated.
All i'm saying is i certainly can understand why people seek help beyond the NHS, i'm getting pretty desperate myself :(

hello snappers
I agree with you that getting prescribed a ruck of tablets just masks the real problems and in turn can lead to some pretty serious problems in itself!! What can a doctor determine from sitting with you for up to seven minutes??? Thay just get you out the door with the usual suspects of medication such as co-dydramol, diclofenac etc which in themselves are nasty drugs. At least you spend up to 40 minutes with an osteopath who can ask you how your pain is and actually gives a monkies!! I will say that my osteopath worked for me, it was better than my G.P who was a waste of space, well actually in my experience of G.P's at work most of them are not interested in anything other than the £200 a HOUR they earn out of hours. A G.P turned up at a death i had attended and complaint IN FRONT OF the relatives because he wanted me to certify death!! Er no mate i dont think so!! have a session with an osteopath!!

I know what Angrydoc's saying, but let's be honest, sometimes the options are few. If the GP can't help then where do you go after that? I will keep my options open, certainly.
I must say i have seen some very good GPs, but like you said, seven minutes isn't anything.

I don't know what to do about my back. I think i will start with actually loosening up the muscles with a regular decent massage (!) and strengthening my abdominal muscles and see how that goes. For the moment, all i can do is exercises i found online.

snapdragon said:
I know what Angrydoc's saying, but let's be honest, sometimes the options are few. If the GP can't help then where do you go after that? I will keep my options open, certainly.
I must say i have seen some very good GPs, but like you said, seven minutes isn't anything.

I don't know what to do about my back. I think i will start with actually loosening up the muscles with a regular decent massage (!) and strengthening my abdominal muscles and see how that goes. For the moment, all i can do is exercises i found online.

good luck with it snappers, let me know how you get on :p