Do you think the BNP should be silenced.....

should the BNP be allowed on Question time


  • Total voters
    262
#2
Free speech was hard won and any attempt to silence it should be repelled.

Many of us do not like what others say, but they do have the right to their opinions, unless they are inciting terror or hatred.
 
#5
Two aspects to the answer as there are two parts to the question, but broadly no they should not be silenced.

The question of whether they should be on Question Time or not is somewhat different, mainly around whether it has any real effect. Given that the viewing demographic isn't their target demographic does it only reinforce the opinions of those likely to be watching whilst not exposing their target demographic to the arguments? Interesting comments by Richard Littlejohn in the Mail about it this morning, he's claiming that he refused an invitation to be up alongside them.

My general position is that exposing their odious views to debate should undermine their position, but my normal reservations about representative democracy apply.
 
#6
I watched one of their members being interviewed on television last week following the legal challenge to their membership being restricted to whites only.
It was fantastic, the interviewer made this tosser look the fool that he is.

I say put them on the television as often as possible, but have a good interviewer in place to make them squirm.

Joe public will soon see just how bigoted and shallow they really are.
 

sgtpepperband

War Hero
Moderator
Book Reviewer
#7
anglichanin said:
They have the unalienable right to make themselves look like to55ers it they so desire, as do all of us :lol: :lol: :lol:
...as Nick Griffin is doing now, on Sky News. The guy is a svengali, with the gift of the gab, who seems to have elected himself as the voice of average British man/woman. He and his cronies spout the same of rubbish yet when they are challenged or backed into a corner, revert to the same soundbites about MPs expenses, etc., regardless of the topic of conversation of the time (I've just heard his justification for wearing a red poppy badge, despite being asked not to by the RBL). Meanwhile, their stormtroopers come round your house and smash your windows and daub your doors with right wing slogans... :evil:
 

sgtpepperband

War Hero
Moderator
Book Reviewer
#8
Passed-over_Loggie said:
As Slim said. Also, they have democratically elected MEPs and Town Councillors. We can’t pick and choose which bits of Democracy suit us.
...but to my knowledge, the Conservatives and Labour parties do not send electioneers and supporters around to your house and intimidate you with threats of violence, or disrupt community events with racist chanting!!

I know the Women's Institute jumble sales can get a bit hectic (do not attempt to grab that second-hand cardigan before the blue rinse brigade have had a look!), but I doubt Mrs. Miggins would even consider kicking you in the sweeties or burning down your house just because your skin is a slighty darker than hers and you speak with a funny accent...

:evil:
 

Blackrat

War Hero
Moderator
Book Reviewer
#9
slim said:
Free speech was hard won and any attempt to silence it should be repelled.

Many of us do not like what others say, but they do have the right to their opinions, unless they are inciting terror or hatred.
Agreed.

I can't stand the BNP and anyone with half a brain will realise what they are up to. It's not rocket science. Except for the fact that they attack people and property physically, they are absolutely laughable.

I read in the Times today that they are using images of British Soldiers and phrases like the "Blitz spirit" on their leaflets. Sir Richard Dannet and Sir Mike Jackson have gone ballistic about this as they don't want the image of the Army tarnished by these fuckwitts.

Freedom of speech is their right, even though we disagree with it. We should let them campaign more because the more they do, the more stupid they become in mine and many others eyes.
 
#10
If the Government and PC brigade hadn't stifled sensible open discussion about immigration the BNP wouldn't have been elected in any capacity and the thug Griffin would not be appearing on Question Time!
 
#12
Blackrat said:
But they should appear on question time. What better forum to make themselves look like the twats they are?
Couldn't agree more, would make good viewing watching them squirm. Personally I'd like to see Paxman interview Griffin.
 

Blackrat

War Hero
Moderator
Book Reviewer
#13
WreckerL said:
Couldn't agree more, would make good viewing watching them squirm. Personally I'd like to see Paxman interview Griffin.
Now that would be outstanding. Let us not forget, the twat Griffin is an incredibly intelligent man and Oxford educated. This is why the BNP are doing as well as they are, mainly because of his brains.

However, confronted with Paxman, the words "Rabbit" and "Headlights" spring to mind.
 
#17
Yes the majority of their views are way out of order,

but so is the majority of views I have seen in papers and on television of extremist groups threatening to kill all that do not agree with their beliefs that all soldiers should die etc etc whilst protesting in our own country.

I see no banning of them being put about, as we dare not in case we cause offence.

It is actions like these that get some to join them and of course the neanderthals that will follow no matter what.

Equal reaction to both extremeties is required, whatever that might be.

NO I am not and would not be a member of them before someone goes off on one.

Everyone should be treated equally, and definately not some are treated more equally than others, dependant on their views and beliefs. As is happening at the moment.
 
#18
toothfairy said:
If the Government and PC brigade hadn't stifled sensible open discussion about immigration the BNP wouldn't have been elected in any capacity and the thug Griffin would not be appearing on Question Time!
Fair popint, though perhaps if at least during part of the last 12 years of Labour Government the Home Office had actually done it's job and controlled immigration they would have had even less proganda material to use. I really appalled me to hear Griffin suggest that the BNP were the natural successors to Churchill, some one who in social policies was a Liberal not a Tory.
 

anglichanin

Lantern Swinger
#19
Had one of their goons on my doorstep recently. Unfortunately i answered the door instead of my black wife or one of my three half caste (and big) sons. I let him get a couple of minutes into his shpiel before calling the rest of the family for a second opinion. If i could have got it all on film it would be a utube classic :D :D :D He didn't leave a leaflet.
 
#20
Maxi_77 said:
toothfairy said:
If the Government and PC brigade hadn't stifled sensible open discussion about immigration the BNP wouldn't have been elected in any capacity and the thug Griffin would not be appearing on Question Time!
Fair popint, though perhaps if at least during part of the last 12 years of Labour Government the Home Office had actually done it's job and controlled immigration they would have had even less proganda material to use. I really appalled me to hear Griffin suggest that the BNP were the natural successors to Churchill, some one who in social policies was a Liberal not a Tory.
I concur
 

Similar threads

Latest Threads

New Posts