Do you need any prior training for Pilot?

Aaa

Midshipman
Other than the educational requirements do you need flying hours or anything before you can train to be a pilot with the RN?

slim

War Hero
To ensure your success the following are essential.
1. Buy an expensive Breitling Navitimer watch.
2. Drive sports car such as a Morgan , MGA, Jaguar XK 120 0r XK 150.
3. Refer to all your mates as "Wings"
4. Check your appearance in a mirror at least once a minute.

Sumo

War Hero
To ensure your success the following are essential.
1. Buy an expensive Breitling Navitimer watch.
2. Drive sports car such as a Morgan , MGA, Jaguar XK 120 0r XK 150.
3. Refer to all your mates as "Wings"
4. Check your appearance in a mirror at least once a minute.
Is that pilot or PTI & Diver

In fact looked upon badly.
It's not looked upon 'badly' at all and, while not essential, it is certainly something that demonstrates commitment when you tell the AIB that you've wanted to be a pilot all your life and answers the inevitable question of, 'what have you done about that claim then?'

Doubtless you will suggest the well-worn argument of bad habits from civilian flying schools etc and in some cases this is true. However, a counter to that argument is the basic flying skills and airmanship already learned will override the possible disadvantage of those bad habits. Nobody has ever yet explained to me what those bad habits are and trite phrases such as, 'well, the civilian flying schools don't get you to look out as much' are specious at best and a 'skill' easily learned once flying for HM.

Previous flying experience certainly helps in the very early stages of the elementary flying course because you're not struggling with getting the thing to turn correctly or trying to nail your early landings. BUT military flying is a very different beast to civilian flying and it's not long before you're learning things that are new to everybody. The point being that after about 20 hours things start to even out and that previous flying experience pales to insignificance. My course had everyone from no flying experience to one guy that had a CPL(H) but by the time you're doing low level navigation or formation flying everybody is equal.

As Ninja answered, very succinctly, there is no requirement to have any flying experience and that is the stock answer. However, you do need to consider how your claim to want to fly can be backed-up if you've never actually experienced it. There's certainly no need to spend thousands of squids on getting your PPL but, if you're not in the Air Training Corps (or similar) and haven't had any air experience flights, be they powered or gliding, then I would suggest saving a few pennies (quite a few) and at least having a trial flight and, perhaps, a couple of lessons. At least then you can answer those questions and genuinely KNOW that is what you want to do, rather than base your desire on an imagined nirvana.

PS: It's not the Navitimer but the Aerospace that you need and the XK140 trumps both the 120 and 150 :)

Jacobus

Lantern Swinger
Yes, Pontius, perhaps I should have expatiated rather more on my original opening line. The demographic of our pilot intakes would no doubt have been similar. That said, of the three individuals who had quite extensive flying experience ( 2 full Commercial licences, and one multi engine PPL) 2 were chopped, and one left of his own volition. So, their previous flying knowledge wasn't necessarily an asset. In fact, a positive disincentive to pull the finger out in the early stages. Hence my post, admittedly not in quite enough detail.
To return to the OP's point. Doing your due diligence and study is a given. Current and future role of the FAA ? Likely replacements for some of our more ageing aircraft/ ships Lynx. AEW Sea King. QE class. carriers etc etc. An ability to demonstrate your knowledge and why you want to be a pilot is, I would posit, more important than previous flying experience.
Consider the Air Training Corps. Gets you used to wearing a uniform, marching, bulling boots, looking after your kit and each other, and the added advantage of aviation themed lectures, and Summer camps at air stations (sadly Crab however you can't have everything ). There are gliding courses with the opportunity to go solo, air experience flying in
Grob aircraft , and that sort of experience IS looked on favourably by the AIB.
If you are undergoing tertiary education try and get in to the nearest UAS. ( Grown up version of the space cadets, military instruction from serving instructors, however places are like hens teeth).
AFCO's used to offer acquaint visits to the various RNAS'. Not sure if they are available or even necesssry in these straitened times ? However they gave one a chance to be hosted by squadrons, wet dinghy drills in the pool etc etc. and an opportunity to see an RNAS at work. ( Cue standing jokes about WAFU's and work ). However, (and Ninja will no doubt correct me) I suspect they've probably gone the way of all flesh by now. As has been said they are looking for motivated individuals who can absorb some of the best training out there. Not a ready made product.
The point about paying for a trial lesson package at your local club is a good one. You may not even like it, and it may save a lot of angst further down the track.
Good luck. Oh, and it's a Bremont you need. And a Land Rover Defender.

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
However, you do need to consider how your claim to want to fly can be backed-up if you've never actually experienced it.
That's a very valid point.

When people declare at interview they have had "a long term military interest, since I was a child", but when asked "Did you ever belong to any Uniformed Youth Organisation?" the claim tends to unravel somewhat. Likewise, claiming you've always wanted to be a pilot but with no rudimentary knowledge of aviation, one's trousers tend to combust. I've asked aspiring Navy pilots what types of aircraft the service operates and it becomes immediately apparent the individual hasn't got a scooby.

Similarly people who knowingly enter into selection with a medical condition which they know is a bar to entry from the outset will invariably claim that it's all they have ever dreamed of doing. Then again, people like Douglas Bader kinda punch holes in the logic behind the stringent aviation medical standards for entry, I guess. Bet he had asthma, too ;)

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Odd isn't it? Watches.

The only one's I've got stressed about are the ones requiring a Killick, plus two, three etc., depending on the size of the ship.

In a multi-million pound aircraft, I'd kinda hope the inbuilt computer or dashboard clock made wristwatches pretty much redundant.

A ten quid Casio F-91W tells exactly the same time as my day to day Rolex Oyster (which my Dad gave to me a couple of years back to ensure an undertaker didn't "inherit"). In fact the Casio is probably more accurate and easier to actually read the time, compared to my highly polished, nice, shiny, totally illegible, self-winding, masterpiece of craftmanship which loses a minute a day. And no, I'm not paying four hundred quid for a poxy "service".

It is totally wasted on me, but then I'm not particularly materialistic or obsessed with my outward looks. When you're as rats as me, flash watches or cars matter not. ;)

I've always bought Timex, £20-£30 max, keep accurate time and doesn't matter if I lose it, break it, scratch the face etc. I've lost count of how many I've lost or broken, especially in the engine room. Just go and get another one, easy peasy.

wave_dodger

MIA
Book Reviewer
Odd isn't it? Watches.

It is totally wasted on me, but then I'm not particularly materialistic or obsessed with my outward looks. When you're as rats as me, flash watches or cars matter not. ;)
Horses for courses. I've never liked blokes jewellery but always admired well made watches.

I look at them as heirlooms and objects that hold memories: One I bought with money my grandmother left, others I've bought on promotions. If bought sensibly they don't lose money, that said I prefer to wear mine all the time and don't keep them in showroom condition.

Not worn a watch regularly for over ten years, keep breaking them.
I have my Omega antique watch my misses brought wear for special occasions, have a pocket watch grandchildren brought, and I have a sports watch, I broke the winder off, haven't got round to fixing