Do you get extra time in the navy test if you have Dyslexia?

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by coops87, Oct 4, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi all i have my test in 2 weeks time do you know if you get extra time if you have Dyslexia and yes i did nearly miss spell it lol.

2. No you dont. I have Dyslexia to and I found the test very Dyslexia friendly.
    Good Luck
  3. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

The test is printed in Arial Round font & on pastel coloured paper, but there it ends with concessions for dyslexics I'm afraid. Don't let it put you off.

Dyslexic individuals can & do pass the Recruiting Test, but the times allowed remain the same for all as the nature of the test is to ensure you can work fast and accurately. Your job will entail rapid interpretation of written data which needs to be interpreted, acted upon & forwarded without delay.

The test assesses the intellectual capacity of the individual to pass phase two trade training without the need for additional assistance. That said, those that pass the test who are dyslexic, are afforded teaching assistance during trade training, but the exams must still be passed.

Best of luck.
  4. Re: Do you get extra time in the navy test if you have Dysle

How strange,

because very recently at a training establishment if you had learning difficulties or dyslexia you were allowed extra time or assisitance reading the questions.

Have things changed or is the establishment I mention gone too PC.

Because there will be no one there to help you read a BR when you need to fix something or carry out essential maintenance.
  5. Re: Do you get extra time in the navy test if you have Dysle

I imagine that it is just simply that the AFCO have a different set of criteria to that of the various schools/career courses etc.
  6. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Re: Do you get extra time in the navy test if you have Dysle

Regardless of whether you have dyslexia, an applicant needs to pass the Recruiting Test (RT) first.

As stated above, you are afforded teaching assistance if you pass the selection process & get as far as phase two training.

The issue is the degree to which dyslexia will affect your ability to do the job, so the base-line is the RT & we can work with you from there on.
  7. I have dyslexia and i passed with no problems