Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Do you fancy being a book reviewer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ageing_Gracefully

War Hero
Review Editor
Book Reviewer
Due to work/life commitments many of our reviewers have had to step back from Book Reviewing and I am now receiving more books than we have Reviewers.

I try to give people books/genre that they ask for but this is not always possible; however many have found that reading a book that would not normally be on their reading list has been very enjoyable and enlightening. Most of our books are Military History and non-fiction but not all as you will see from the reviews published so far. Don't just join in, you must have the time to read and write up a review for the book within a space of 3-4 weeks, depending on the size and complexity of the book in question. Don't worry about grammar, spelling etc - the main requirement is an honest review, your thoughts on what you have read.

This is quite worthwhile and gives a little bit back to the site and you get to keep the book, so can be a free way to fill up your bookshelf.

So, if you think you can write an honest review of a book and want to give it a go drop me a PM.

Taffd

Lantern Swinger
I'd love to but my memory's so shit that by the time I've got to the end of a book, I've forgotten most of what I've read.

Danb159

Midshipman
I wouldn't mind receiving a book to read. Even if my input after is minimal.

Posted from the Navy Net mobile app (Android / iOS)

exJenny

War Hero
Book Reviewer
Can do it in my 3 off or you can send a few for the 4 months on :)

Just the thoughts of a blonde ex wren

Ageing_Gracefully

War Hero
Review Editor
Book Reviewer
Guys,

the time commitment is totally up to yourselves. I generally send out a list of available books each month and you can decide if you have the time to take on a book. Generally I don't just send books on spec except where I know the reviewer has a special interest in that theme. Even then it has a caveat of return if no time to do, with no comeback from me.

Bluebird - the reviews are for your fellow members to give them an idea of the standard of the book and if it is/is not worth a punt. We don't do this for the publishers so don't write what you think they want to hear. It is an approach that the publishers at first found surprising yet a bit refreshing from their POV.

Only thing is if you agree to take one on, please do it. If you are still interested drop me a PM and I will respond to that.

I will close this thread for just now, any queries by PM please.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
ukdaytona We are in the wrong job..... Anyone fancy being an MP The Quarterdeck 11
Ageing_Gracefully Do You Fancy Reviewing Books for Rum Ration The Book Club 1
F Type 26 Names. What do you fancy? The Quarterdeck 62
Ninja_Stoker Women's Institute welcomes piracy victim wearing fancy dress Current Affairs 12
F Fancy a Chinese takeaway leftover The Gash Barge 9
F Fancy a weekend 'up the smoke' The Quarterdeck 8
wet_blobby Anyone fancy a jam donut? Diamond Lil's 0
S Anyone fancy some of this? Diamond Lil's 15
trelawney126 Fancy a Reaming? The Gash Barge 2
trelawney126 Fancy a Bit of Mentoring by Ex Home Secretary Diamond Lil's 1
BreathingOutOnTheWayUp Fancy That! Current Affairs 3
Scorch FANCY DRESS Blue Jokes 0
The_Caretaker Fancy Dress Miscellaneous 0
Shakey The Fancy Dress Party Blue Jokes 0
chatsharris A bit of advice needed... (Fancy Dress) Diamond Lil's 33
sgtpepperband 2 Oct 10: Fancy Dress Triathlon, Tenby Charity 2
M Fancy Dress - discuss Diamond Lil's 48
soleil Pompey News: Fancy life in the navy? iPhone let's you try it The Fleet 1
NotmeChief Big ends gone. Anyone fancy giving me a hand. Motoring 14
pinkprincess Fancy a night in the City? Diamond Lil's 10
Stirling Fancy a pint ?...... Diamond Lil's 13
S Fancy Dress Diamond Lil's 9
Ja5on Pictures of women you fancy The Gash Barge 3
2_deck_dash Saints & Sinners fancy dress Diamond Lil's 22
C fancy dress The Quarterdeck 5
S Newcastle United for sale, anyone fancy chipping in? Sports and Adventure Training 14
Grim_Reaper Fancy a laugh chaps. Motoring 11
E Non-Fancy Fire support The Fleet 45
ukdaytona Anyone fancy project managers role on the new Carriers?? Diamond Lil's 11
L Fancy Dress with a Naval Twist Diamond Lil's 13
sgtpepperband Anyone Fancy A New Job? The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 9
slim Fancy a ciggy? If your Charles Kenneddy then light up Diamond Lil's 32
R Anyone based in Rosyth fancy a date ? Diamond Lil's 28
A Anyone fancy buying a bit of Ganges history? Bases / Shore Est 2
golden_rivet Fancy a bike??? 'Beachcombers' in Action. Current Affairs 34
J Likelyhood of being able to switch roles Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 6
MoD_RSS Judge-led review to provide greater certainty for troops being investigated MoD News 0
soleil Portsmouth News: RN Officer Makes History After Being Named Top Naval Student On Germany's Most Prestigious Course The Fleet 2
MoD_RSS Being a Reservist is the best of both worlds MoD News 0
Sumo IRA still being track by secret squirrels Current Affairs 2
MoD_RSS The fighting chance: breaking down barriers to veteran’s well-being MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Marine and coastal areas linked with better health and well-being MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Surveys being carried out for Tadcaster flood scheme MoD News 0
MoD_RSS RNIB failures led to some children in the charity’s care being harmed, says watchdog MoD News 0
R Being the only girl Joining the Royal Navy 14
MoD_RSS VMD Export Certificates being issued electronically MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Defence Minister visits vital work being conducted by troops in Cyprus MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Sledge and flag from Shackleton’s Nimrod expedition at risk of being lost abroad MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Inquiry leads to improved governance at community centre which trustees “did not recognise as being a charity” MoD News 0
B Not being a confident swimmer Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 15