Do you consider yourself European?

Finks, I was "offered out" by a border official at Gatwick airport many years ago. The airport staff "forgot" that there were disabled passengers still on the aircraft. When we finally arrived at passport control, about 2.30am, there was no-one there, so I pushed my wife's wheelchair through. Halfway to baggage reclaim a voice started bawling at me to stop where I was. I just kept going. When he finally caught up with me, he started to get really stroppy. When I pointed out to him I was in no mood for an argument and surely he knew, from the passenger list, that there were people not accounted for, so why did he shut up shop. He threatened to punch my lights out, then I really saw Red and tore him off a strip as only an ex Chief GI can. I got a big round of applause from the cleaners and other airport staff who had been drawn to the altercation. I think we gave up holidays by air shortly after that.

So you crossed the border without showing your passport? I can't understand why he got upset.

I've never understood that "little Englander" label. Being "little" is what those foreign buggers are best at. The heirs of Prussia tried to stop being little only recently. It didn't get them very far; except a completely modernised industrial base. from which to dominate economically.

Monty, I admit to being "a little ENGLANDER". I'm only 5 foot six inches tall!!!! I can assure you that I am NOT a pathetic twat. I stand up for what I think is my right to be called ENGLISH! If you don't like it, then that's your problem not mine!

My understanding of the term 'Little Englander' is that, it is a Brit who believes that foreign influence on British culture and institutions are damaging or insidious?

Posted from the Navy Net mobile app (Android / iOS)

Last edited:
G

guestm

Monty, I admit to being "a little ENGLANDER". I'm only 5 foot six inches tall!!!! I can assure you that I am NOT a pathetic twat. I stand up for what I think is my right to be called ENGLISH! If you don't like it, then that's your problem not mine!
No-one's questioning your 'right to call yourself English.' If you're from England you are English. I think we can all agree on that.

However, England is in Europe, ergo you're also European as well as being English.

I don't understand the fuss. If you refuse to accept you're European you might as well go hard over and refuse to be referred to as being an earthling.

Now that would make sense to me, being as some of the weird anger about a geographical label would indicate the presence of a right bunch of ****ing space cadets.

Little Englanders are the ***** you see on holiday reading the sun eating english food, moaning about foreigners and drinking the yorkshire tea they took with them. *****, every last one of them.

Little Englanders are the ***** you see on holiday reading the sun eating english food, moaning about foreigners and drinking the yorkshire tea they took with them. *****, every last one of them.
Always confused by that, where the **** in Yorkshire are the tea plantations?

T'was an article in some paper I glaced at last week which said that 1 in 3 brits had some strand of DNA only found in Scandinavians harking back the the Vikings! Erik Thorhanssen has a lot to answer for!

Have you tried getting normal teabags in most of Europe? It's a nightmare. I was getting a constant supply of PG Tips from home when I was living out there.

Have you tried getting normal teabags in most of Europe? It's a nightmare. I was getting a constant supply of PG Tips from home when I was living out there.
Now if you are living there I can understand that you might want some thing from home that you have a taste for. Im talking about the people who go to Benidorm etc for 5 days and do it. Get a grip and try something different.

Now if you are living there I can understand that you might want some thing from home that you have a taste for. Im talking about the people who go to Benidorm etc for 5 days and do it. Get a grip and try something different.
Do Brits actually go to Benidorm, I thought it was just a shite telly programme?

Do Brits actually go to Benidorm, I thought it was just a shite telly programme?

Ok Marbella then, went once and it was full of expat ******* who hadn't bothered to learn a word of Spanish. Worst of it is they are the exact type of people who would complain about people in the UK not speaking English.

I think the issue as to whether we feel European or not depends on whether we feel advanteaged to be English/ Scottish Welsh/ Ulster etc or if we feel that were we to live in a mainlaond European country we would be better off.

It would be interesting to see a list of comparative tax and benefit rates and conditions, as well as rights.

American (I know it's not Europe) friends cannot beleive we have as low income tax rates compared to them, but are horrified that our equivelent of their state tax (VAT) is as high as it is.

If of course you believe that being born English means that you have won first prize in the lottery of life - as Cecil Rhodes said then you will not mind if others appear to be better off than you in some other way.

PBSP

G

guestm

Ok Marbella then, went once and it was full of expat ******* who hadn't bothered to learn a word of Spanish. Worst of it is they are the exact type of people who would complain about people in the UK not speaking English.
Algarve & most of Greece = same.