Do you consider yourself European?

Discussion in 'Travel & The Great Outdoors' started by CuCkO0, Mar 14, 2014.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Don't know if this is the right place to be posting this, however I couldn't really find an appropriate enough forum.

Well, Britons, do you?

I am English and hate people thinking that I'm European.

I do not like the idea of Britain being a part of Europe. I understand that we have to do with the EU, which I don't like either. I have come across people lately that think the UK is a part of Europe. Is it? Why is it? Is it a geographical thing? Is it a cultural thing? Is it a political thing?

I've read multiple things on the internet, people say we're European because we're a part of the European continent, I've read others say we're not because we're not a part of that continent. Are we apart of that continent?

I don't actually know if we are a part of the continent or not. I most definitely do not consider myself European. I'd really like to hear what you have to say to this.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2014
  2. This will soon end up in the barge methinks. Geographically we are part of Europe. Personally I regard myself as English first and British second but a pseudo-european purely because we have a large stretch of water between us and "them" ;)

3. Why are you so fearful of a word?

I am Scottish, British and European. Where I live I work with various nationalities, pay taxes, watch sports and volunteer within my chosen community. The socio-political environment I am in is acceptable to me, I have no yearning for relocating.
    Only those who are insecure in themselves spend any time worrying about epithets. The rest of us just get on with living.

• Like Like x 1
  4. "Personally I regard myself as English first and British second" - I'm exactly like this though. It's exactly what I'd label myself as also. :salut:

• Like Like x 1
  5. A part is two words which should be apart.

To 'hate' people thinking that you are European is a bit of an overreaction isn't it?

• Like Like x 1
  6. Im British first and English when it comes to sport or winding up jocks.

• Like Like x 1
  7. What's wrong with hating being called something you clearly don't want to be labeled as? I don't want to seem accepting to the fact. Hate can be recognised as a strong word by people, but why would people focus on that one word and be bedsides the subject at hand? Unless you see hate as an offensive word?

Also what does a simple typing error have to do with this? I mean I don't really care, but you know. However you are correct and I admit my mistake.

• Like Like x 1
  8. I was born in Scotland, all my family are Scots but I consider myself to be British.

Posted from the Navy Net mobile app (Android / iOS)

9. But you are European, fact.

I am Cumbrian. Cumbria is in England so I'm also English. England is in Great Britain so I'm also British. Britain is in Europe so I'm also European.

I don't get the problem. But then again, I don't really understand patriotism, nationalism or tribalism. I think it's all a bit silly.

• Like Like x 3
  10. Really your happy to associate with dabbers?

11. Apart from being human, I share no cultural and emotional commonality with most of continental Europe and very little with the rest of it. The nearest ones I can identify with are the Germans and Austrians with the Dutch running second and the Scandinavians running a quite distant third. So other than geographical labels, I'm not a European.

• Like Like x 1
  12. (granny)

(granny) War Hero Book Reviewer

Surely this is a moot point. Over the millenia we have been raped, pillaged, conquered and overrun by countless of our Continental neighbours. We have a language with more French and Germans associations than you shake a stick at. 1066 and all that. Even the Roman Legions brought us something, at the same time as kicking the sh1t out of us. Lets face it we are a mongrel nation, be proud of who we are but don't be naiive about it. Take a look at the famous photo..'the blue dot' and realise that we are but a tiny part of the cosmos, all we know, everyone that ever lived and does live are here on this tiny blue planet. We should all be proud to say 'I'm a member of the human race'. (now who's being naiive? :) )

• Like Like x 2
  13. Well, I was one once.

14. But that's what counts, so you are. You're European because you're from Europe. It's akin to saying "I have absolutely nothing in common with anyone who owns socks other than I also own socks. Therefore other than being a sock owner, I am not a sock owner because I don't want to be called a sock owner."

• Like Like x 3
  15. Have you got any Welsh in you?

• Like Like x 1
  16. Taffd, you offering?

• Like Like x 1
  17. I'm flattered, I really am. But it's just not for me.

18. Welsh, British then maybe Italian (my dad's got a huge roman nose so there must be a bit of Italian in me)

19. XX legion did its thing then......?

20. Cinderella Rockafellas or Blimpers :)