Do you choose your job?

Discussion in 'The Gash Barge' started by LHacking, May 28, 2013.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I was just wondering wether you get to choose a specific role on board or whether you are offered a job, and you have to accept it?

2. Turn down the galley rolls - they're stale.

Flash up the Oly Rolls (Royces).

3. AAF

AAF Badgeman

Yep, cleaning stations.

4. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

You choose your branch, you take your chance.

Your departmental co-ordinator determines what 'part of ship' you are employed. For the most part jobs are rotated within in each department. You can express a preference - most matelots do this incessantly, but you will be employed where you are required - sometimes your aspirations match the requirement.

5. tiddlyoggy

tiddlyoggy War Hero Book Reviewer

Haha, nearly fell off me chair!!!

• Like Like x 1
  6. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Yep, as a Depco I was forever inundated with Stokers begging me to put them on Dining Hall Party or gagging to be a watchkeeper. Don't recall anyone ever declining the job after telling them the alternative was being chosen from a cast of thousands to represent the Marine Engineering Department as our premier Aft Shithouse Cleaner, by Appointment to the Fleet.

7. Love the naivety "offered a job" :) :)

8. In the Warfare/WE world one tends to start at the bottom and work one's way up the career ladder. Obviously if you are a spastic it's entirely possible to remain at the bottom of the career ladder for the duration of your time onboard, it's also possible to move backwards down the career ladder if you fuck up.

You'll invariably start in pot wash, this isn't such a bad thing because people get to know you, it also means you won't be watch keeping just yet. This gives you a chance to get to know your way around the ship and for people to suss you out before they trust you with anything as expensive as a paintbrush.

Next stop for a dabber/WE is usually an upper deck part of ship, you will spend all day cleaning and painting.

After a year or so onboard and once you've got your task book weighed off and got your star, you might be lucky enough to get on a weapons section, bridge team or join the buffer's party. If you are a good lad and you've impressed your DepCo, you may even get to express a preference, chances are though, you'll just go where you are needed.

9. Signing up as an officer, involving pot washing - Doesn't sound right

10. In that case, as a newby officer, you'll go where you're told, when you're told, to do as you're told.

11. Whether you like the sound of the Hobart dishwasher or not, you will do some time in potwash during your first stint at sea as an IST.

Further down the line, I haven't a fucking clue. Most warfare officers just drive the ship and have a secondary role which usually involves something incredibly dull.

CBO for instance, once a month you have to go around looking at all the BRs and confidential books and documents onboard, just checking they are still there.

That's it.

12. I didn't think that officers would have to do all that, thought it would be up to able rating etc

13. Unless things have changed considerably, during your first term at Dartmouth, you will join a ship doing an initial stint down the lads mess, savouring the life of a junior rating.

In basic terms you will be able to understand, this means that you will spend 6-8 weeks doing the shittiest jobs the killick of your mess can possibly think of - Potwash, gash party, head cleaning (twice a day) etc. Even sprog AB2s will be your masters.

14. And cooks:clap:, big sink full of greasy galley trays never did anybody any harm, and certainly tended to cut "up 'emselves" young occifers down to size.

2BM

15. PS. Don't forget to pack your favourite hand cream.

2BM

16. Really? You have a world of joy ahead of you. There will be a lot of JR's doing this whilst you dig out on IST:

Simpsons-Nelson-haha.jpg

17. Mr Hacking, methinks you have to master the art of communication.

Tell us the whole story and we can comment. One liners like your opening line was niaive at best and open to assumption.

You have a great deal to learn.

18. He's probably dangling from a tree somewhere, his dream of sitting in the wardroom all day drinking pink gin and using an AB steward as a foot stool in tatters.

• Like Like x 1
  19. tiddlyoggy

tiddlyoggy War Hero Book Reviewer

Hmmmm, comments like that almost make me want to go back to sea on an IST ship. CLEANING!!! The very thought of it! Shouldn't I have a man for that!!!!

20. It's little moments like this I miss the good ole Dartmouth Training Squadron!!!

So full of fun and frollicks!!!

Kinda rhymes with Bollox!!!!