Do we need FSI's Anymore

Discussion in 'The Fleet Air Arm' started by flynavy, Apr 12, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Do we still need FSI's anymore on Harrier Squadrons?

All the other aircraft squadrons are left to the watch chief to sort out the books, except on harrier squadrons where there is a seperately employed chimp who does the books and chases up the aet's

Mind you freeing up the killick on our shift would deprive Oakham Zoo of a Chimp!!

will leave it open for discussion

2. silverfox

silverfox War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

in answer to your question-

I neither know nor care.......

3. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

WTF is FSI?

4. Flight servicing inspector - someone who goes over the books and signs to say the aircraft is ready before the pilots sign for it!

5. We don't use them any more due to them not being able to sign as FSC. However, in my mind, that means that the Watch CPO or Senior Sup looking after the book has to chase up signatures for flight servicing as well as closing/co-ordinating Work Cards. This is unacceptable when you have LH's and PO's sat around doing cock all.

I'd rather have an FSI to do the chasing and I'll sign the relevant boxes when necessary.

6. Silverfox... in case you didn't know you got quoted in the mail today (thurs). Be proud man, real proud :p .

7. it depends upon the level J as on my last squadron all sups had been authed to perform FSC duties and we still had a laet doing the job. who also did the line sups job. so there is a need for them still on other squadrons (not just the naval wing of the RAF)

8. When you consider the average part 2 and 3 of a Harrier reads like 'war and peace' I would say that the more qualified/authorised people who look at the book the better. I think the dilution of the 'line setup' in most squadrons due to the reduction in manpower from as it was typically 10 or so years ago is very sad, and probably contributes to most avoidable ****-ups now a days. Historically you had a lot of personnel around the line 'seemingly doing very little' but when the shit hit the fan you had an expert on tap straight away. Now you seem to have a plate spinning jack of all trades (aka WCPO) who doesnt know his arse from his elbow with the line sup probably moving aircraft in the shed next door. So in short, yes keep your FSI (he or she is a vital link) and can probably make a decent wet too!!

There !! not bad for a submariner! (I do read cockpit when I can get it!)

9. chieftiff

chieftiff War Hero Moderator

Nail-head, head hammer. Must be boring in submarines!

10. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

May I spring to TC's defence...
    All engineers, other than Woos, are allowed to use imagination & initiative to overcome the problem. Many is the time I've put an engine back together, got it to work & STILL had a pussers' bucket of nuts, bolts & thingies left over. OK it leaked like a "gusher" oil well, but it proves that I'm obviously more switched-on than the design engineer.

11. chieftiff

You may have misunderstood, I was agreeing with TC, he hit the nail on the head- except for the bit about not knowing elbow from arse, I have never wiped my elbow!

As for having bits left over after rebuilding an engine that is just shocking and could never, ever happen in the pofessional wafu world :roll:

12. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Fair one shipmate. If ever you're missing a few bits'n'bobs from your aircraft, be sure to ask the stokers if we've got any whatdyamacallits you can borrow- always glad to help.

13. erm, nope.
    It proves that you need to be under constant supervision :D

I've never had any "bits left over" after finishing a job ;)

14. well it is bad for a crabmariner. i and many other WCPOs do know their arse form their elbows. the squadrons would not be able to operate without a knowledgable WCPO

15. the job of FSI can be a good first step for a new supervisor to give them experience in taking on a wider responsibility and consolidate leadership skills. plus i know a few old LHs who dont mind alittle desk work for a break. so maybe all the senior rates (even very newly promoted ones!!)should give our poor LHs a break and think back to when we had to deal with all the shit and save our barbed comments for members of the squadron who deserve it.

16. Body parts aside, I was trying to convey that the role of the WCPO has changed and instead of being able to sit and survey the watch and tweak when necessary. he now has to get involved with shite like WRAM etc, when historically he is there for bigger picture stuff, like effective comms between the engineers and the aircrew and ultimately the efficient running of the day/night flypro. So sorry Jim did not mean to attack you or your fellow WCPO's.

(For those of you from a gill neck persuasion its like the Chief of the watch doing both inside and outside runners jobs and yet still knowing whats going on in the SCC.......sort of!)

17. chieftiff

I can't believe you bit Jim, most WCPO's have the skin of a Rhino, you must be a pinky! :lol:

18. well thanks but not in this case

19. Squadron chef maybe???

20. wrong AGAIN, try steward