Do u get to visit many diff countrys in submarine service ?

Discussion in 'Submariners' started by GregorCdog, Jun 18, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. just wondering as i am applying for the submarine service as a supply chain logistician will i get the chance to visit alot of different countrys like the surface fleet ? many thanks for any reply

2. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

England and Scotland

3. Re: Do u get to visit many diff countrys in submarine servic

A fair few on SSN's, none on bombers, and not as many as skimmers but there again they don't live in hotels when on a jolly :lol:

4. Re: Do u get to visit many diff countrys in submarine servic

Who cares? At least we got to have plenty of jollies/runs ashore. :)

5. FlagWagger

FlagWagger Book Reviewer

Re: Do u get to visit many diff countrys in submarine servic

Isn't there a once-per-commission jolly to the States for DASO any more?

6. Re: Do u get to visit many diff countrys in submarine servic

So I believe and if your lucky enough to be on that boat at the time

7. Re: Do u get to visit many diff countrys in submarine servic

Join general service get the jollies in then join boats. when you go on your first jolly on a boat you'll wonder what that strange surface fleet fixation wth actually getting out of your cart, mustering and then turning to and actually working on foreign visits was all about. If you ain't duty you don't turn to or even go near the submarine, not station leave, just sensible maximum pissing up time sanctioned by those decent chaps called submarine commanding officers. Seriously mate, get the jollies in in the surface fleet and then get treated like an adult in the submarine service, where getting the troops off the boat as quickly as possible is the main aim when you get alongsides. You'll wonder what the f**k you were playing at beforehand, been there bought the t-shirt and boats wins hands down for treatment on jollies!

8. Re: Do u get to visit many diff countrys in submarine servic

Agree totally, that's the way I did it

9. Re: Do u get to visit many diff countrys in submarine servic

ye i'm thinking of going in for surface fleet first now but now i'm scared because i have already applied for the submarine service is it possible to change the application or will they go nuts at me ?

10. They may make a noise about you wishing to go GS first but if its what you want stick to your guns. at the end of the day the mob needs you more than you need it,if you join as a submariner thats you for a minimum five years,they will have spent too much money training you,and dont think you can just swing the lead and get re-streamed,they will kick you out first otherwise every man jack would do that to get out of boats.
    I taught at SMQ(N) until May last year and that was how it worked there.

11. Re: Do u get to visit many diff countrys in submarine servic

Yep! They'll go nuts! But hey, don't be scared they'll be a big 'airy arrised' sailor there to give you a nice big cuddle! You'll love it! :roll: :roll:

12. I beg to differ.

13. Must have changed since I left then!

14. witsend

witsend War Hero Book Reviewer

Offering me another 15years service suggests they do.

15. I was offered 2OE as well,the point I am trying to make is that new people joining need to get in the branch they want before they join,once in the mob you are just a number and they are banking on you being in for 4.5 years. Any side ways movement once in is very difficult. My apologies if I did not explain it right

16. Re: Do u get to visit many diff countrys in submarine servic

I agree with shellback, I got drafted to boats in 1983 after doing 5 years general service. I was lucky and joined a ship that deployed all over the world - to many places to name. I joined hms Repulse and went to faslane,Rosyth,port canaveral florida and Rothsey in 5 years, speaks for itself!

17. Re: Do u get to visit many diff countrys in submarine servic

Loads of travel to foreign countries in Boats:

Faslane/Plymouth
    Plymouth/Faslane
    Faslane/Plymouth
    Plymouth/Faslane
    Faslane/Plymouth
    Plymouth/Faslane

What more could a Submariner want ??

18. Re: Do u get to visit many diff countrys in submarine servic

witsend and Barney - sorry, that wasn't my point. Obviously old salts like yourselves are needed by the Navy :thumbleft: . I don't think that we're bending over backwards to accommodate untrained strength though.

19. by untrained strength I take it you mean new recruits? The mob will do it all it can to keep the peace with new new recruits and then once four months? maybe six? has passed they have them for four and a half years. Not sure what they are telling them at the careers office about boats,but I remember pointing out to some careers office people that there was not even a mention of SMQ(N) or Faslane in the books they dish out and was told it would be changed. Not been near a careers office since leaving but imagine that there is still no great mention of faslane!!

20. tiddlyoggy

tiddlyoggy War Hero Book Reviewer

Boats are great, that's why they're even more f***ed for manpower than the rest of us are.