Do RM actually dress up as women when they cross the equator

Discussion in 'The Corps' started by Sentenashi, Aug 22, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Or am I a gullable idiot?

2. Re: Do RM actually dress up as women when they cross the qeuator

I think matelots on their first ship have to.

3. Re: Do RM actually dress up as women when they cross the equ

There is a ceremony done when any ship crosses the equator. It does involve people dressing up, but I only remember there being one female character.

I can't really say what booties do when they cross as I've never served at sea with them.

I can tell you I have seen a few booties dressed as women, in stockings and sussies and other strange costumes when they go on a run ashore. But then who's going to tell them they can't??

SM

:nemo:

4. Mind you, saying that I've also seen half the local rugby team dressed as tarts on a night out round the town!

So the whole dressing as women thing is exclusive to the marines/forces!

5. Re: Do RM actually dress up as women when they cross the equ

No, you're not, but a tad mixed up. As stated above there is some dressing up involved when crossing the line, but that's not specifically a RM thing. However, Royal will take the opportunity to dress as a woman at the drop of a hat - it doesn't require crossing the line.

6. The RN is one of those services in which many lines are crossed every day...you can pick and choose which one to participate in!
    When crossing the line of the equator the sea god must have his hand maidens, who that will be depends on whom has upset the most people :wink:
    I was, thankfully briefly, on the 'Bacchante' for a while. We teemed up across the Atlantic with the 'Bacchus'. Can you guess which ship played the lady?

7. Re: Do RM actually dress up as women when they cross the qeuator

Bulwalk '66 / '67 (Capt AM Power) - the answer to the first question is - "yes they do" - along with all the other first timers - great fun

8. Dressing up as a bird for fun is good for a larf as long as you do just do it for a larf. There's probably few matelots that haven't at some time or another.

9. Re: Do RM actually dress up as women when they cross the equ

why? why do they do that?

10. Re: Do RM actually dress up as women when they cross the equ

If you start asking questions about royal marines, you have do go deep, deep down.

Why do they sign themsevles up for running 30 miles across dartmoor?

11. Re: Do RM actually dress up as women when they cross the equ

Every run ashore that I've ever done with the booties has involved them going ashore in dresses. The bu99ers always trapped too....

12. I see this type of thred popping up all the time these days on Rumration usually from young types who are frightened to get their willies out in front of the big boys.

Will i have to fight Naked with roll matts?
    Will i have to dress up like a ladyboy?
    Will i have to give the grot daddy a blow job at the drop of a hat?
    will i be expected on my first holiday to shag a ladyboy up the wrongun in Thailand and still pay for the experience?

The answer to all the above is YES. My only advice to you is lose all your shame and inhibitions before joining the Corps and you will get along just fine. If you are unwilling to be transformed into a wretch of a man with no morals then join the RAF.

13. Re: Do RM actually dress up as women when they cross the equ

I am not that kind of girl (any more!)

14. It's normal. Nothing wrong with it. In fact it's always worth having a decent selection of women's clothes in one's locker especially when going on deployment.

However, on one Guzz based 23, whilst on deployment a few years ago, one of the dabbers looked far too convincing when dressed up. I later found out sometime after leaving the ship that he'd come out of the cleaning gear locker.

15. You looked cracking during the "Miss Hecla" competition in 91 shippers :thumright:

16. I joined the RM in 71 fair amount of beefers amongst the corporals at lympestone at the time plus a 'dodgy stripey" who ended up in bed with one of my squaddies i london! but the cross dressing thing was unknown came in around the late eighties ? same as naked drinking never saw it until the later years of my service A lot of all this is homo-erotic stuff all men together another thing that crept in was the abuse of women crapping in the handbag and such the Paras developed a similar culture 3 Para mortars were particularly infamous aggressive beefers. Another trait was an absession with **** sex and the preference of kaities rather than real women an interesting subject to study /i was in 42 when a augmentee from RAMC was at pu in norway cross dressing etc he was penetrated during"simulated sex" hushed up again!

17. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Re: Do RM actually dress up as women when they cross the equ

Hmmn, you appear to be very well informed. No worries there then, eh?

Truth is the Royals tend to "dress down" for Crossing the Line Ceremonies as it's regarded as demi-formal.

(Unusual to see an ex-Royal call a young Marine or recruit a squaddie, a Nod is more usual nowadays & it ain't often an ex-RM "squaddie" mis-spells Lympstone.)

18. My thoughts exactly Ninja. A bit strange.

19. Well informed? its true I kept my eyes and ears open a lot of what went on was missed by a lot of the Corps a CSM I knew in 85 was most indignant 'beefers in the RM never!!" a bit naive to say the least. I was in Malta 72-73 rifle Coy no cross-dressing naked drinking at all nearest thing was Toga runs Wonder what started it? fascinating ! the "simulated sex act" was another strange craze particularly in Norway and as I said on occassion moved from simulation to the real thing! Naked roll-mat fighting is a modern thing why naked? why do the organisers have to dress as women? there is an awful lot of under-current here and as I found a lot of being "in denial" could be a British thing pantomime dames drag queens etc

20. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Re: Do RM actually dress up as women when they cross the equ

As I'm sure we're all aware, there have been gays in the Armed Forces since the year dot, however wearing drag, togas, or indeed nothing, isn't necessarily directly or remotely linked to homosexuality. It may however be viewed as erotic by those overtly interested in the topic, in a similar manner to those who appear obsessed with the Edwardian Naval Ratings "costume".

Far from being "in denial", I'd suggest that it indicates that individuals are at ease with their sexuality and do not feel they have to act in a certain perceived conformist manner when off-duty, in the way that some with repressed Victorian taboos would have it.