Do Men Still Stand Up To Let Women Sit Down On Buses etc?

Discussion in 'The Quarterdeck' started by soleil, Oct 9, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I was on the tube today and noticed something.

Most of the people sitting down were blokes; the gender split in the carriage was actually about 65/35% male/female. There were quite a few women standing up.

It didn't really matter to me that I had to stand but I did think to myself that it is quite unusual to see a guy offer his seat to a woman who is standing nowadays.

Do men still stand up to let women sit down?

If yes .......

For older ladies?
    For pregnant women?
    Mums with kids?
    If she's a total babe?

Or is the answer "No, why should I?"

2. Re: Do Men Still Stand Up To Let Women Sit Down On Buses etc

All the time Maam!! Good looking or not :wink: and always, walk on the outside of the Wife, when out for a stroll :lol: :lol:

3. Re: Do Men Still Stand Up To Let Women Sit Down On Buses etc

For older ladies..............If by older you mean over sixty-five, yes.
    For pregnant women?.....Yes.
    Mums with kids?.............No, the kids need to learn to stand at some point, right?
    If she's a total babe?......No, but I offer her the use of my lap! :wink:

4. There was a discussion on this on the BBC recently (I think it was to do with offering seats to pregnant woman, and how it was not always possible to tell if the female was pregnant or merely fat). The male poster mentioned that they had got grief for offering their seat to a person of the female gender. The female berated him for thinking that she was somehow less able to stand because she was female, and the bloke retorted that he did not offer her his seat because she was a lady, he offered it because he was a gentleman.

I would always offer my seat to anyone who appears for whatever reason that they may need it more than I. I hold doors open and if the person going through does not acknowledge my action, I will excuse myself in a loud voice and when they turn, I will say, "Oh I am sorry, I thought you said something. My bad."

5. I do most of the time, then I think of equal opportunities that they moan about too :lol:

6. Yeah I'll give up a seat and freaquently open doors etc. Although given one or two reactions I have had I sometimes wonder why I bother.

7. Re: Do Men Still Stand Up To Let Women Sit Down On Buses etc

If a guy stands up and asks if I would like to sit down, I always give him a bright, appreciative smile and say "Thank you!" and take a seat (and often smile at him again!). I can't imagine doing otherwise. A man opening a door for me gets the same response.

I never think anything negative about these gestures, only positive things, but even if I did, I would still respond with a bright smile and sit down. In my book, rebuffing such a gallant gesture constitutes bad manners on the part of the woman, as it might make the man feel uncomfortable or embarrassed and good manners are all about not making people feel that way.

8. I too do the decent thing with seats etc for people who appear to be not as capable and\or more mature females. Wouldn't do it for a 30 year old female or younger - especially if they have got short hair and shoes look a bit on the "comfy" side. I don't fancy having to go through the burning bra argument.

With regards to Rosina, I too open doors etc and always say "your welcome whether a 'thank you' was proffered or not. The looks I got from the ignorant Maltese when living there was rather priceless. :?

9. Re: Do Men Still Stand Up To Let Women Sit Down On Buses etc

Quote SOL :wink: If a guy stands up and asks if I would like to sit down, I always give him a bright, appreciative smile and say "Thank you!" and take a seat (and often smile at him again!).Like that Maam, and makes you feel good for the day. Before you go in the pub with your oppos and a Blonde scally is sitting opposite you with her breasts hanging out, and you all have a quick skeg. She clocks you and says " Whats up with you load of pervs???? never seen a pair of T**S before :lol: :lol: :lol:

10. Those of us who are over a certain age were brought up when good manners were part of our education.

11. So im a certain age..Ah well. :roll:

12. (granny)

(granny) War Hero Book Reviewer

Times were so much better when having manners was a natural happening. It was learnt by example, watching the actions of our elders. If a man did not rise and offer his seat he would have some nasty looks. As a child I was taught to always offer my seat to a female, young or old, it was the done thing. I find myself still doffing my hat to any lady that I know on meeting. Todays generation seem not to know what manners/courtesy, are. I had a bit of a scowl the other day, I held open a door for a lady, she passed through with a nod, immediately followed by a group of girls and boys who just kept on passing through the still open door, without any acknowledgement at all. Maybe I look like a doorkeeper !!

13. Have you seen the women where I live ?, I live in a town full of Vicky Pollards and teenage pregnancy is more popular than the iPod.

14. Re: Do Men Still Stand Up To Let Women Sit Down On Buses etc

Always....

I was taught manners maketh :p the man !

15. Same as Jimbo, Il stand up and give my seat, open doors, and I try not to swear in front of a lass if avoidable

16. Always, the memory of clips round the ear from Mother dearest when I was a bit slow in offering up my seat on a Routemater (Old skool!) or on the Tube still induces rapid seat offering to the old and bold geezer (Especially if wearing a Returned Man badge, issued to NZ War vets.)and females over 18.

What's that about glimping down young ladies tops being only fair payment for same?
    Perish the thought, Sir! :wink: :oops:

17. I always offer my seat and open doors for the ladies. Quite often you dont always get a thank you but thats their bad manners.

Being a gentleman I always take the weight with my elbows when making love. It would be impolite not to.

18. Re: Do Men Still Stand Up To Let Women Sit Down On Buses etc

Me too, always offer a seat,etc.
    But slightly off track --- when motorcycling through London during the summer---- young and not so young ladies bent forwards on sports push bikes and traveling in the opposite direction could be held responsible for driving without due care and attention.

19. Always and every time; don't give a monkeys about EO..!

20. Time has come when a young lady looks at me and offers me her seat!