Do I need to mention this on my aplication form?

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by JaFAA, Mar 24, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. This question relates to the part of my application where I need to list any criminal offences.

When I was 17, I got in trouble with the police for a bit of drunken vandalism at a party in a local village hall.

The story generally goes like this..

Me and my mates were dobbed in by one of our 'mates', so we ended up with police round, and were told we'd have to go to be interviewed at the station.

After the interview, we were let off with a slap on the wrist, and told it would be 'best to apologise or write a letter to the head of the village community'.

Were weren't given any bits of paper saying "this is your offence, you did this etc etc", we basically walked out scot free.

But we were told the incident was still on police record, the idea being that if we reoffended, it could be brought up in court to show we were becoming bad kids.

Upon my first visit to the AFCO I was actually looking into the RAF. The bloke said it didn't need to be mentioned. When I went back another time and asked about the Navy, I was told to go and find out at the police station. At the station they told me I'd have to pay a tenner to find out, which is ridiculous and I'm guessing it would've taken too long to be returned anyway, as I need the info before Thursday.

Anyway, I've told you my situation, and just to repeat the main bit, I didn't walk out with anything official saying "you are now an offender", all they sad was the incident is on record. It may have been something like a youth caution if such a thing exists.

Any AFCO people out there able to help me out? Will I need to mention this in my application? I've never had to in previous jobs.

Cheerrrrs

2. Hmmm.

On the MOD 494 form, in the small print it says the following.

"Cautions, reprimands and final warnings are not sentences with rehabilitation periods. However, the Government is intending to include them with then Act and give them a rehabilitation period of nil, which means that they will become spent instantly. In the meantime, those people only with a caution on their criminal record can answer 'no' if asked whether they have a criminal record because this is usually understood to mean convictions"

I'm guessing I can answer no to all the criminal type questions then because I was never convicted or given an actual punishment through court????

3. I'm pretty sure that the rule goes - only a judge (sheriff or whatever) can give you penalty that you have to write on those forms. If you didn't have to go to court then I'm pretty sure your okay to write "no".

Yes - that form pretty much backs up what I was thinking.

4. Ninja Stoker or Supermario are probably the best ones to answer this.

Check again later in the day - I'm sure they will have spotted your question and will have answered it by this evening.

5. There is much debate about this at present as JaFAA says. The problem is that whilst many offenders who have served a custodial sentence eventually have a spent conviction those who were cautioned, usually as teenagers, are encumbered by the burden for the rest of their lives, blighting careers etc. This is clearly legally perverse and it is expected that Parliament will change the law - unless we go through another moral panic and pollies feel the urge to put "get tough" rhetoric before justice.

6. Looks to be a no then. I should also mention that I'm 20 now, so the whole thing happened over three years ago. The time required for even a juvenile prison sentence to be spent is only a bit over 3 years, so a little slap on the wrist, as it was in my case, will surely be water under the bridge by now.

7. JaFAA,

Basically, a caution issued by the police is classed as spent straight away. Therefore, you do not need to put it on the initial Re-hab form. However, it would do you no harm to put it on your 1109 (Security form), as they will pull your police record and they are looking for a match. This is to check out your honesty, but will not count against you during the selection.

Hope this helps

Supermario

:)

8. I got a reprimand for firearms offences when I was 15 and a caution for theft by finding 2yrs ago (finders NOT keepers).

I think you would find it difficult to get a reprimand or caution without realising you had actually received one.

Both times i had my fingerprints and DNA taken. I leave you to make up your mind as to whether you recevied one or not but to me it's sounds as though you didn't.

9. I had my DNA and fingerprints taken. So would that be a reprimand? And should I mention it in my application? I never went to court, just got told by one of the officers at the station it would be best to write an apology, and consider paying back some of the damage (wasn't fined though, so never did hah).

10. In that case you may well have a reprimand (which, AFAIK, stays on your record until you're 18 or for 5 years, whichever is longer). This is NOT a conviction though and like supermario says, it's spent immeadiately anyway so you wouldn't need to declare a reprimand. Honesty is definitely the best policy. Being honest certainly won't be held against you.

If you really want to know for future reference then you'd either have to put in a request under the Data Protection Act (which would be the £10 you referred to) or get a disclosure from Disclosure Scotland (English police don't have a system in place for people to access their own records) and the last time i did this it cost £20 and took about 2 weeks. However I doubt either of these would let you know before thursday.