Do I need a car?

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by RoverDen, Dec 2, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hey everyone,

Will I need a car while i'm in the Navy? I need a car for my current job but it's on its last legs (I also live in a rural area with rubbish bus links)! I am thinking of getting a reliable car on finance, which will last me for a good few years. However, i'm not sure if it's worth getting a decent one if I go into the Navy and never end up using it!

2. Concentrate on getting a life then the car will follow along in its own sweet time.

(It took me until I was 31 to take to four wheels) :?
  3. Don't waste your money until you're out of RALEIGH or BRNC, where your car will sit and gather dust whilst you pay for insurance and tax.
  4. Didnt buy a car for 8 years, if I needed one I either borrowed one ,after getting insurance cover, or rented one for the W/E.
  5. the_matelot

the_matelot War Hero Moderator

You don't *need* a car but it certainly makes your life easier at times. Saying that, (and I've been guilty of this in the past), there's absolutely no point whatsoever in getting a brand spanking new car when you're onboard a ship as it'll just rust in the dockyard (trust me on this-french cars and ports don't mix!)

If you end up somewhere like Culdrose or Yeovilton, then you would definitely need a car but if you're based in Guzz or Pompey, then you don't really need one.

If you desperately need one, wait until you get out of Phase 2 training and buy a cheap run about-you only have to look at the garages near Phase 2 establishments such as Collingwood or Sultan to see that you can get a fair bit of car for not that much money!
  6. If you end up in Guzz, the car club in Drake is a great source of local car related help and advice.
  7. If your going in as wafu, just plan a landaway to your back garden.

Happy days.