Do I get my eyes tested for CP at Raleigh??

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Michael_78, Dec 4, 2013.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi there,
    I'm joining as a Chockhead and I know I'm colorblind but when I did my eye test and medical I didn't get tested for it.
    I have got my date to join 15 June but don't want to get there and do an eye test and get sent home.
    Do I get my eyes checked for CP when I get to Raleigh??
    Should I talk to my AFCO and tell him about it.
    Thanks.

2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Did you not conduct the Ishihara (coloured dots/numbers) test during your medical examination or during your eye test?

3. No I didn't,found it a bit strange after what I have been reading on here.

4. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

It is odd.

Generally the parameters for Colour Perception are safety related. In other words the more life-threatening the likely work situation in relation to being able to discriminate colours, the higher the required standard.

For chockheads navigational lights (red/green) are less important than the recognition of an orangey/yellowy flickery thing engulfing an aircraft that lands a bit "sudden".

Joking aside, colour perception can be a life/death issue in a service environment & it is genuinely important to ensure the "box is ticked" so I'd urge you to contact your careers adviser to ensure the procedure is conducted correctly by the contracted medical company.

‚ÄčEdited: Spill chucker

Last edited: Dec 5, 2013
  5. Yes I think it's the best to do.
    Will get give my AFCO a call and will do another medical or eye test if needed.
    Thanks for your help!!