Do I bother?

Ok so here goes, I am interested in a guy who is in the Navy. He is long serving roughly 10 years or so.

I have read lots of information about deployments and so forth and I will be honest its not really bothering me being on my own for months whilst he is away. I am very independent and have a super busy life and to be honest its something which is quite attractive to me as I like my own space.

I have read a few forums on here about people signing up and new girlfriends, alot of answers have been "kick the new gf to the kerb your better to be single".

I am not in a relationship with this guy.. yet. We are only dating but so far he is perfect in every way. I guess my issue is should I really bother waiting for someone and putting all the effort in if he is going to either 1) cheat on me or 2)dump me due to other peoples opinions on girlfriends.

Am I wasting my time?

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
No, you are not wasting your time.

I met my wife whilst serving. The thing to bear in mind is you generally only hear negativity from those who are bitter about their experience. If you are doing OK with the separation, then the world's your lobster.

Only snag I found when I transferred to recruiting is being together all the time is as much of a test as being apart.

well that's definitely comforting. Its very early days and I wanted to keep it to seeing each other once every 6 weeks part of my reasoning is we already are long distance (about two hours away from each other) and I feel that if we get used to being away from each other like this is wont be so hard with the deployment. We are at the age of where we both would like to meet someone and settle down. I am more than happy to wait months if it means the right man so fingers crossed thank you for your responses its defiantly made me feel more confident to continue.

Without wishing to be insensitive, I cannot but conclude that some of these threads are like a reincarnation of "Dear Marge" (Marjorie Proops), as in Dear Ninja etc.....:) :)

dhobyitch

Lantern Swinger
Whilst at the Fire School - Raleigh, I always tried to smarten up and be nice to the Leading Wren on pay day...
38 years later, she still makes me sign for my fortnightly pocket money.

I think you will be fine if you can handle the separation. Remember that this is one of the reasons you were attracted to him. Problems can start if you try to change him, hence the ditch her, stay single comments.

I met mine while serving. 25 years this year. She put up with me being away on patrols, now she puts up with me being home every night.

Good luck and go with your instincts.

I think you will be fine if you can handle the separation. Remember that this is one of the reasons you were attracted to him. Problems can start if you try to change him, hence the ditch her, stay single comments.

I met mine while serving. 25 years this year. She put up with me being away on patrols, now she puts up with me being home every night.

Good luck and go with your instincts.

thank you I think I will do just that :)