DNA Tests gone wrong.

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by BillyNoMates, Mar 15, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Just caught up with a snippet in Fridays Daily Mirror ref: DNA tests
    that seem to have gone a bit tits up. For those that don't peruse this
    tabloid, it concerns one Michael Shirley, who is pictured in uniform
    with a DRYAD cap Tally. He was jailed in 1988 for the alleged rape
    and murder of ******** but the sentence was quashed 16 years later,
    (2004?) - new DNA evidence (quote) establishing that he was "probably"
    not the killer.
    Would this mean that the RN (who I presume would have dismissed him),
    for the ultimate "consequential" - are therefore also liable for backpay and
    such - having effectively knackered his career? There's not too much
    information in the Mirrors article. I would imagine that a lawsuit would
    have been presented through normal channels for such a lengthy
    period of wrongful imprisonment...but how would Pusser view it?

Over to the Messdeck Lawyers for further rumination

2. Can't see why the RN should come into the frame - the "damage" was done by CPS and the legal fraternity.

Pusser could not be expected to keep him on the payroll if he was banged up at Her Majesty's pleasure so any compensation due will have to be found from the Criminal Injuries pot (or wherever such compensation payments come from)

3. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

The evidence which quashed Shirley's conviction in the Court of Appeal is referred to ‘new DNA evidence‘. However, the court ruled that this evidence alone did not exonerate Shirley of the crime so much as make his original conviction for the murder of Linda Cook unsafe.

From a news report at the time of the appeal trial (3 Jul 03), it stated that the former sailor would be in line for a substantial compensation award, although "[...] he would not discuss that possibility" after being released from the court cells in London.

Therefore I would like to think that any financial arrangement between Shirley and the MOD is private, and should remain so.

4. There was a British soldier convicted of rape and murder here in Germany about the same time. After 8 years DNA data revealed that he did not commit the rape and there fore had no motive for the murder, although his DNA was found at the scene of the crime. End result was minimal compensation from the German government. The British Army had long since lost all interest in him and wasn't going to take him back on board.

5. Am I being a thicko? I don't understand the reference to DNA tests going wrong.

6. By 'going wrong', BNM means that the result of the test was not what the CPS would have wished for.

7. The CPS present the evidence as known to the court (and jury) It's the jury who convict, not the CPS. Very often the CPS have to drop cases because the police don't get enough evidence.

8. Guess who watched Law & Order last night.

9. sgtpepperband

A little bit of knowledge is a very dangerous thing, I tend to find... :oops: :roll:

10. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

You'll find that Old Jenny works/worked for the CPS

11. sgtpepperband

Did I name names, Mr. Paranoia? :?

12. janner

:roll: Was I talking to you? :roll:

13. sgtpepperband

Who said that?! :shock:

14. And very often they drop/lose cases because they have failed to ask for the evidence to be obtained. Or do they never read the submitted case papers before the trial date.

Nutty

15. sgtpepperband

A man jailed for murdering a woman in 1979 has had his conviction quashed at the Court of Appeal after spending 27 years in prison... [full story here]

16. sgtpepperband

17. Guess who works for the CPS.

18. Freema Agyeman?

19. Evidence of that please?
    The police can only charge simple cases such as drink driving and shop lifting. All other criminal activities have to have pre-charge advice. The CPS say they want an ID parade, CCTV, forensic etc and if there is enough evidence then the police are told to charge the accused with the appropriate charges.
    There is initial disclosure at the first hearing and then the police compile a full file. There is a time limit which is adhered to by the court, defence and the prosecution for this full file to be compiled and then read. It is all set out.
    The reason a lot of cases get dropped after charging is retractions by victims (especially in domestic violence) and failure of witnesses to actually turn up to give evidence. It doesn't help that the court system is so slow that cases are delayed.

20. janner

CPS procedures are being looked at with a view to change, in the main, if it goes ahead, charging responsibility will return to the Police and in particular the Custody Sergeant. I'm informed that this has been brought about by the CPS down grading charges so that defendants plead guilty and therefore keep a hirer rate of convictions. Once more proving that there is little regard for the victim.