DIY forum

Discussion in 'Site Issues' started by witsend, Oct 12, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. witsend

witsend War Hero Book Reviewer

Any chance of having a DIY/Gardening forum?
  2. Mmmm. :geek:
  3. witsend

Hi johne, why Mmmm?

I'm going to be refurbishing a set of exterior steps, and would rather ask oppo's questions, than go off site.
  4. If it's up-hill gardening I'm sure Thingy, Sussex and T42 will have plenty to contribute.
  5. witsend

Jimmy, thingy is busy babysitting his special cousin.

I believe it could be a interesting and popular forum. Who's never cut the grass or papered a wall?
  6. I've papered the grass and cut a wall before

edited to add I thought this was going to be about something else :oops:
  7. witsend

Maybe I need a new nic,,,, :lol: , but for maybe for the third time I'm serious.
  8. witsend

Thanks Jimbo, its something that if you've lived under the umbrella of the forces, you might not have alot of knowledge about.
  9. witsend

I'm know mate, I was then more talking about my goodself and prob alot of guys in the forces.
  10. I have a DIY question:

Throughout my flat there are these really horrible light fittings, they are shite quality and about 30cm in diameter. They are all cut into the ceiling, i.e. if I remove them there is a gaping 30cm hole where they were.

Does anyone know if it is possible to plaster over holes as big as this and if I could fit normal light fittings? I'm thinking about 10cm in diameter.

Also do you think it is worth it? There are 14 light fittings in total, shall I just pay an Eastern European man to fit new plasterboard to the ceiling?

Your help is much appreciated in this matter.
  11. Personally I'd go for new ceiling and start again, you'll never get the mark of the original hole to blend in
  12. Thats OK then cant get mfi wardrobobes anymore ! :D :D :D
  13. Are the steps wood or stone?

If they are wood get yourself a belt sander, these things are bloody addictive, once you have started you won't be able to stop, you will end up sanding every wooden surface for miles. Then use Ronseal or something similar.

If they are stone with tiles just chip away the old tiles, use a pressure washer then re-tile with some heavy duty grout and quick drying cement.

For a really gucci effect add LED lighting to the steps. I did this on my decking and it looks awesome.

14. I think you are probably right.
  15. witsend

They are called escape hatches, FFS, where you this dim in service when the lights went out. :wink:

PS, what hair comb will I take to basic?
  16. :thumbright:
  17. Now that is a fcuking good idea.
  18. witsend

Already this potential forum is proving popular.
  19. So I'm guessing the walls in your flat are painted ash grey. Would I also be right in thinking that you have some exposed pipework and 'lectric string running along the walls and ceiling?
  20. witsend

Why do you think I want a DIY forum, Jimmy. (Change flat for haunted mansion). :wink: