DIY forum

witsend

MIA
Book Reviewer
Hi johne, why Mmmm?

I'm going to be refurbishing a set of exterior steps, and would rather ask oppo's questions, than go off site.

witsend

MIA
Book Reviewer
Jimmy, thingy is busy babysitting his special cousin.

I believe it could be a interesting and popular forum. Who's never cut the grass or papered a wall?

witsend said:
Jimmy, thingy is busy babysitting his special cousin.

I believe it could be a interesting and popular forum. Who's never cut the grass or papered a wall?
I've papered the grass and cut a wall before

edited to add I thought this was going to be about something else :oops:

witsend

MIA
Book Reviewer
StixJimboRM said:
Good idea, if it doesn't fill up with crappy shelves and MFI wardrobes
Thanks Jimbo, its something that if you've lived under the umbrella of the forces, you might not have alot of knowledge about.

I have a DIY question:

Throughout my flat there are these really horrible light fittings, they are shite quality and about 30cm in diameter. They are all cut into the ceiling, i.e. if I remove them there is a gaping 30cm hole where they were.

Does anyone know if it is possible to plaster over holes as big as this and if I could fit normal light fittings? I'm thinking about 10cm in diameter.

Also do you think it is worth it? There are 14 light fittings in total, shall I just pay an Eastern European man to fit new plasterboard to the ceiling?

Your help is much appreciated in this matter.

2_deck_dash said:
I have a DIY question:

Throughout my flat there are these really horrible light fittings, they are shite quality and about 30cm in diameter. They are all cut into the ceiling, i.e. if I remove them there is a gaping 30cm hole where they were.

Does anyone know if it is possible to plaster over holes as big as this and if I could fit normal light fittings? I'm thinking about 10cm in diameter.

Also do you think it is worth it? There are 14 light fittings in total, shall I just pay an Eastern European man to fit new plasterboard to the ceiling?

Personally I'd go for new ceiling and start again, you'll never get the mark of the original hole to blend in

witsend said:
Hi johne, why Mmmm?

I'm going to be refurbishing a set of exterior steps, and would rather ask oppo's questions, than go off site.
Are the steps wood or stone?

If they are wood get yourself a belt sander, these things are bloody addictive, once you have started you won't be able to stop, you will end up sanding every wooden surface for miles. Then use Ronseal or something similar.

If they are stone with tiles just chip away the old tiles, use a pressure washer then re-tile with some heavy duty grout and quick drying cement.

For a really gucci effect add LED lighting to the steps. I did this on my decking and it looks awesome.

WreckerL said:
2_deck_dash said:
I have a DIY question:

Personally I'd go for new ceiling and start again, you'll never get the mark of the original hole to blend in

I think you are probably right.

witsend

MIA
Book Reviewer
2_deck_dash said:
I have a DIY question:

They are called escape hatches, FFS, where you this dim in service when the lights went out. :wink:

PS, what hair comb will I take to basic?

witsend said:
2_deck_dash said:
I have a DIY question:

They are called escape hatches, FFS, where you this dim in service when the lights went out. :wink:

:thumbright:

StixJimboRM said:
2_deck_dash said:
I have a DIY question:

1. remove offending light fittings

2. put some battens up into the holes so that they are bigger than the holes but in the 'other' side of the plasterboard (hard to explain without a picture, sorry) screw through the good side of the plasterboard to fix them in place

3. Cut some new plasterboard to fit into the holes and screw to the battens which are now fitted on the inside of the existing plasterboard

4. Get some patching plaster and plaster over the new board (or get your Polish oppo to do this bit in order to make a neat job)

A lot cheaper than re-doing the whole ceiling mate, and not too hard to do.
Now that is a fcuking good idea.

witsend said:
2_deck_dash said:
I have a DIY question:

So I'm guessing the walls in your flat are painted ash grey. Would I also be right in thinking that you have some exposed pipework and 'lectric string running along the walls and ceiling?

witsend

MIA
Book Reviewer
Jimmy_Green said:
So I'm guessing the walls in your flat are painted ash grey. Would I also be right in thinking that you have some exposed pipework and 'lectric string running along the walls and ceiling?
Why do you think I want a DIY forum, Jimmy. (Change flat for haunted mansion). :wink:

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
C The Quarterdeck 10
2_deck_dash Diamond Lil's 42
soleil Bases / Shore Est 9