Diving Volunteers wanted

3BadgeAB

Midshipman
Nick,

the branch is still accepting applicants. However, as stated in your other post by NS you don't join as a diver, you join the RNR. After some time in New Entries (could be a year or two depending on time you can commit) you attend Raleigh and then can start diver training. This consists roughly of:

1. a weekend intro to branch and DPFT (fitness test, 10:30 mile and a half, 40 situps in a minute, 16 dips, 8 heaves and carry 60kg 30M) DPFT is not age dependant and those figures stand for all. Lots of running around and team building, and lectures on the branch and eating nutty

2. an aptitude weekend, on this weekend you will dive in the lake and the chamber so need a medical, you will also eat nutty

3. you can now attend the first 2 week air phase, once you have completed that you can get a key to the nutty cupboard (at your expense) and claim diving pay.

4. Search phase two weeks including advanced nutty eating

5. EOD two weeks including disposing of old nutty

Note each element is pass or fail, and you are not fully qualified until the last phase.
So this is going to take some time before you are qualified and can deploy. By the time that has happened the job has changed anyway so I wouldn't worry too much about that. About 2 years after this your diving pay should start to come through, albeit at the wrong level.

Your best bet would be to get down to your local unit on a recruiting evening and have a chat, each unit is slightly different as far as new entries are concerned but the diver training is all done centrally via DDS.

One last point, I doubt phoning Horsea will achieve anything.

3Badges

This page on the RN website might help too: Royal Naval Reserve Diving

role_diving_60511-.jpg

2 week air phase...

What does the two week air phase course involve? I can crack the DPFT, but the likes of mud running etc cause me to blanche at the thought?

Thanks.

Nick,

the branch is still accepting applicants. However, as stated in your other post by NS you don't join as a diver, you join the RNR. After some time in New Entries (could be a year or two depending on time you can commit) you attend Raleigh and then can start diver training. This consists roughly of:

1. a weekend intro to branch and DPFT (fitness test, 10:30 mile and a half, 40 situps in a minute, 16 dips, 8 heaves and carry 60kg 30M) DPFT is not age dependant and those figures stand for all. Lots of running around and team building, and lectures on the branch and eating nutty

2. an aptitude weekend, on this weekend you will dive in the lake and the chamber so need a medical, you will also eat nutty

3. you can now attend the first 2 week air phase, once you have completed that you can get a key to the nutty cupboard (at your expense) and claim diving pay.

4. Search phase two weeks including advanced nutty eating

5. EOD two weeks including disposing of old nutty

Note each element is pass or fail, and you are not fully qualified until the last phase.
So this is going to take some time before you are qualified and can deploy. By the time that has happened the job has changed anyway so I wouldn't worry too much about that. About 2 years after this your diving pay should start to come through, albeit at the wrong level.

Your best bet would be to get down to your local unit on a recruiting evening and have a chat, each unit is slightly different as far as new entries are concerned but the diver training is all done centrally via DDS.

One last point, I doubt phoning Horsea will achieve anything.

3Badges

Latest Threads