Diving Sharm El Sheikh

Discussion in 'Travel & The Great Outdoors' started by navyeo60, Nov 3, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. What a great area for diving, I've just got back and if your 63 like me and want to dive, best to do it in nice warm water :thumright:
  2. Agreed. I was there earlier in the year with my wife - her first time diving. She thoroughly enjoyed it, had nothing but stunning dives and even to her delight "found (lots of) nemo".

We did a very cheap package trip (£250 per head I think) then she did a course with Emporer Divers who I would thoroughly recommend. Not the cheapest, but friendly, flexible and professional. Quite a few ex-military instructors which goes some way to explaining that.

All in all a big thumbs up, and an absolute bargain in smiles per pound. Only for divers though. We met a couple there who had been every year for the past 3 years, but didn't dive. There is nothing much else there so I don't understand that at all, but there you go.
  3. the_matelot

the_matelot War Hero Moderator

I haven't been diving there but I've heard good stories about the diving-there's a lot of shore based diving isn't there? I'd like to squeeze in a trip there next year if I can get a last minute deal-either there or I'll go back to Thailand and scuba dive there again.

A mate of mine has booked a 28 day diving trip with her hubby for August of next year in Sharm-now that is taking it a bit too seriously (I bet Reservist-Monkey is frothing at the gash at the prospect of a 4 week diving holiday! :wink: )!
  4. Loads of diving schools there and the one I was using (Moon Divers) were giving 20% discounts. I don't know if it was because of the time of year though.
    One tip, if you are planning a boat dive I would go through a diving school as that way you can negotiate a set price and be sure your equipment is up to scratch. Heard some stories of leaking regulators and where you pay an up front price to the boat company find that everything else is an extra and that works out very expensive.
    Most of the diving schools are reasonable though and I found the dive sites better than Bali.
  5. Used a company called Octopus Diving when I was there afew years ago. If you're doing a wreck dive (as I did as part of my PADI Advanced Open Water), make sure you take in the SS THISTLEGORM. It's an old supply ship that was bombed and sunk in WWII. Loads of stuff to see there.
    I also found though that you see (almost) as much coral and fish type stuff if you go snorkling off the beach from your hotel !!
  6. Not just diving,I prefer a fly and flop holiday. The hotels are lovely, always go all inclusive.

However I did catch a nasty dose of Cairo Dog, and before you all start telling me stories of your similar experiences, bet you can't beat my colleague who had an attack whilst wearing his wet suit!!
  7. Sounds 'orrible Rosie...how did he let that "out of the bag"!!!!! :tp: :tp: :tp: :tp: :tp: :tp: :tp: :tp: :pukel:
  8. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

You've never heard of the infamous "brown fish"... :nemo:
  9. Sounds disgusting Sgt.....and I don't want to hear (read) about it when I'm eating my dinner thank you!!!..... (give me half an hour!)...... :hungry:
  10. Anyone had any experience of a Live-a-board with a non-diving spouse? If I can't tell Mrs PinkMafiosi some good things about it there's no way I'm ever going to get to do one.... :shaking:
  11. Do not take a non-diving spouse on a liveaboard!!!

General routine of a liveaboard goes like this :-

a. Get out of bed
    c. eat & sleep
    d. dive
    e. eat & sleep
    f. dive
    g eat, drink alcohol, get pissed & go to bed.....
    back to a.
  12. I know what the routine's like - did Scapa this year. I know that some of these things are like gin palaces - wanted to see if I could persuade her. Actually as he's a woman I stand NO chance but I'm allowed to dream aren't i?
  13. sgtpepperband

PM: Tell her you're going away with the Mob on a 'Diving Expedition' and, as it's a Service-related operation, she cannot go. Just leave some Lakeside vouchers on the mantlepiece and bugger off for a few days... :wink:
  14. Just be honest with her, it's the best policy. My partner is a non-diver, but I still go on dive holidays without her. It's not perfect, but it's something I love doing. I dived before we met, and I don't see why I should stop diving just because she doesn't want to. She understands this, and so it's not a problem between us.
  15. sgtpepperband

While you go diving let her go for a long canoe trip... but make sure you take out life insurance on her first... :twisted:
  16. Oh you guys! You just crack me up! :hug:
  17. Take the trouble to dive the Thistlegorm it is worth the extra effort.