Diving - civvy Scubadoo and RN stuff.

SONAR-BENDER

War Hero
There is currently a diver's 'love in' going in another thread. So, as one of the guilty parties, I have begun this thread so that divers (that's air, nitrox and mixed gas divers - NOT M**F) can bore each other with dits or even helpful information.

Possibly this thread will encourage people to take up diving as part of AT (Adventurous Training), answer some diving related questions and maybe even the CDs will play nice and help out!

I owe my diving career to the RN, as despite always having wanted to dive, I began by becoming a Ship's Diver and later Supervisor. I am also a BSAC First Class Diver and Advanced Instructor and was a SADS though let it lapse due to no longer diving with Service personnel.

Still diving now in southern Spain - very lucky to have some of southern mainland Spain's best diving literally on my doorstep.

So, in your own time, with a backward flip (CLEAR!) go.

SONAR-BENDER

War Hero
I hoped you'd put that link up!

Every year we pop over the the Canaries, as it is cheap as chips. Last time we were in Lanzarote, this park was half finished. Now it is done and I can'r wait to give it a bash!

PS the 'little girl' in the bow of the boat is the dive centre owner's daughter (Rubicon diving) - not a lot of people know that!!

Asasioun

Badgeman
How do you get into diving in the RN? (Without simply joining as a diver)

It was something i had a brief look for previously, but as ill be *fingers-crossed) going in as an ETME(SM) it obviously isnt part of the job description.

Can you pick it up on the side? If so, how does that work?

SONAR-BENDER

War Hero
Do you mean diving as a trade, or diving as an adventure sport?

For the former, there is no way now, as 'they' removed the requirements for Ship's Divers some years ago.
For the latter, ask your PTI. Each major shore area has a dive club and will organise training local area dives and expeds. Top tip - to get the most out of joining a service club, get a civvy qual first - possibly while on holiday. It will save you a lot of time and make you a more useful member of the branch, though depending on your diving qual, you may need a tiny bit of cross training.

All military diving clubs use the BSAC training and club model.

Sumo

War Hero
I treat diving like parachuting. I wouldn't see any reason to leave a perfectly serviceable plane, the same there is no reason to leave a serviceable boat:po_O;)

Asasioun

Badgeman
Do you mean diving as a trade, or diving as an adventure sport?
The latter. I'm pretty set on my trade now.

Top tip - to get the most out of joining a service club, get a civvy qual first - possibly while on holiday. It will save you a lot of time and make you a more useful member of the branch, though depending on your diving qual, you may need a tiny bit of cross training.
Well, I was asking because I was wanting to pick it up, and thinking it might be easier to do through the navy, but if it's easier to do it separately, then I'll just look into that.

Sent using Tapatalk

SONAR-BENDER

War Hero
Asasioun (and any others interested!). Training to dive by joining a club can be a slow process, though it will be 'virtually' free - only the cost of club membership. For several months you will not be a 'useful' member of the club and you will not be going diving, as you have not completed your training.

Therefore the quickest, easiest and most productive way is to go on holiday somewhere nice and warm, pay for a diving course and actually do some diving. You will then be in possession of a card that says you can dive - to a limited degree.

Then after, or maybe even during, Part 2 training, you can bimble across to the establishment dive club (the Portsmouth area one is in Collingwood, was Wednesday night) as a 'qualified' diver. You may need to do a few cross-over lectures but you will be able to go on club dives immediately.

Remember that if you learn to dive somewhere warm and sunny, with clear, warm blue water - the UK is somewhat different...... but brilliant.

If you are lucky enough to end up at Faslane, it is possible to roll out of bed, get in the car and be doing a 30m shore dive from the side of the road - inside 20 minutes!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S RN Diving Officer The Fleet 1
soleil UK Defence Journal: "Vernon Mine Warfare & Diving Monument [To Be] Unveiled In Portsmouth [In March 2020]" Bases / Shore Est 1
Naval_Gazer The Vernon Mine Warfare & Diving Monument Bases / Shore Est 9
B All Mine Clearance Diving Suspended! Current Affairs 23
H Does a Chef Apprentice have deep sea diving training for when fish stocks are low? RFA 29
B Naval diving Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
E Joining RNR Diving Specialty Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 2
T RNR Diving branch (King Alfred) Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 9
W Information on 3 day navy diving test (PDA) Health & Fitness 11
soleil W.M. News: "Europe's First Artificial Diving Reef 'Scylla' Generates Millions Of £s" The Fleet 0
Vivid_Diver RNR Diving Branch Factsheet Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 30
soleil Mail: "Tory MP Penny Mordaunt Signs Up To Take Part In TV Diving Show Splash" Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 23
soleil Mail: Have You Got A Diving Licence For That? Submarine Breaks Surface Of Milan St. Submariners 0
T Applied for MCD with no diving experience. Problem? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 23
Ninja_Stoker Pompey Diving Team don't have a boat shocker Diamond Lil's 9
soleil Western Morning News: "John Gets His Reward For 50 Years Of Royal Navy Diving" Bases / Shore Est 5
Z How long does it Take at this current time from my diving medical?? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
WreckerL One for the Diving community History 0
SONAR-BENDER Diving in Bastion! Sports and Adventure Training 7
Stirling Diving on Scylla Films, Music, TV & All Things Artsy 20
soleil Guardian: "US Diving Crew Finds Wreck Of British Submarine Used In Second World War" Submariners 0
silverfox Military Diving site History 0
Naval_Gazer BBC: Two diving chambers moved to Gosport Diving Museum Current Affairs 5
soleil Guardian: "HMS Ark Royal Could Be Turned Into Artificial Diving Reef" The Fleet 24
soleil Mail: "Diving Into The Abyss Aboard Britain's World-Leading Submarine Rescue System" Submariners 0
Naval_Gazer CINCFLEET presents Fleet Diving Squadron with Naval Capability Trophy 2010 The Fleet 10
ForcesJobShop Training Opportunity: Diving Courses - PADI The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 0
ForcesJobShop Resettlement: Diving Instructor (PADI) The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 2
soleil FHM Visits The Defence Diving School (Video) Bases / Shore Est 2
frogman007 Sad loss of a diving legend. Current Affairs 6
frogman007 WRNS "allowed" to join the diving branch The Quarterdeck 102
Naval_Gazer Army ex-DDS Diving Instructor loses legs in Afghan blast Current Affairs 4
sgtpepperband Pompey News: "Historic Battery to be used as diving museum" Bases / Shore Est 1
O Diving Course Sports and Adventure Training 3
Naval_Gazer Another milestone for minewarfare & diving monument Current Affairs 0
soleil NW Mail: "Astute sets sail for first diving trials at sea" Submariners 3
soleil "First Phase of Diving Equipment Conversion Course" Bases / Shore Est 0
Ricky_Rider Navy Diving Critique needed History 16
RadioSilence Warfare Branch & diving stuff Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 23
S Diving selection test Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
S Diving World Champs Diamond Lil's 7
Naval_Gazer Commemoration of HMS Vernon's Minewarfare & Diving Heritage Bases / Shore Est 9
wet_blobby Poor cnut diving in mainpage photo Diamond Lil's 3
B Diving school Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
duggers20 Diving and rugby, could do both? Sports and Adventure Training 14
Vivid_Diver Diving Volunteers wanted Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 52
G the diving branch" is it the right choice?" The Quarterdeck 4
T Commercial Diving - Life Support Technician The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 1
GSSR_Vvd Diving in the RN?? Sports and Adventure Training 10
O Who is on the April Pre Entry DIving Aquaint? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 0