'Divine Wind'

Discussion in 'History' started by BillyNoMates, Jan 22, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Kamikaze

Flying Petty Officer First Class Isao Matsuo

The following letter is by Flying Petty Officer First Class Isao Matsuo of the 70lst Air Group. It was written just before he sortied for a kamikaze attack. His home was in Nagasaki
    28 October 1944

Dear Parents :
    Please congratulate me. I have been given a splendid opportunity to die. This is my last day. The destiny of our homeland hinges on the decisive battle in the seas to the south where I shall fall like a blossom from a radiant cherry tree.
    I shall be a shield for His Majesty and die cleanly along with my squadron leader and other friends. I wish that I could be born seven times, each time to smite the enemy.
    How I appreciate this chance to die like a man! I am grateful from the depths of my heart to the parents who have reared me with their constant prayers and tender love. And I am grateful as well to my squadron leader and superior officers who have looked after me as if I were their own son and given me such careful training.
    Thank you, my parents, for the 23 years during which you have cared for me and inspired me. I hope that my present deed will in some small way repay what you have done for me. Think well of me and know that your Isao died for our country. This is my last wish, and there is nothing else that I desire.
    I shall return in spirit and look forward to your visit at the Yasukuni Shrine. Please take good care of yourselves.
    How glorious is the Special Attack Corps' Giretsu Unit whose Suisei bombers will attack the enemy. Our goal is to dive against the aircraft carriers of the enemy. Movie cameramen have been here to take our pictures. It is possible that you may see us in newsreels at the theater.
    We are I 6 warriors manning the bombers. May our death be as sudden and clean as the shattering of crystal.
    Written at Manila on the eve of our sortie.
    Isao

2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

There are striking similarities with the mindset of that Petty Officer Pilot 60 years ago & those of other suicide bombers today.

They clearly believe what they are doing is right.

3. No mention of a cloud full of virgins waiting though!

4. I wonder what PO Matsuo would have said had he realised his mindless fanaticism would result in his family being nuked?

5. They were prats then, as are those that are doing it today.
    RoofRat

6. The only reason they sound the same as they did 60 years ago is because they use the same brain washing ideas as the japanese did. All that has changed is the cause. Dont forget some old christians had the same thoughts but instead of blowing them selfs up they just charged into battle. Same thing basically

7. Totally agree there P2B.

8. How can man die better than facing fearful odds.

For the ashes of his fathers. And the temples of his Gods.

9. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

They didn't all get used. I met one of these bods (or so he claimed to be) on board HMS Euryalus in Yokohama in 1968. Unfortunately his English didn't allow of a deep discussion and of course we were on a 'goodwill' visit, best behaviour etc. We had shipped a new CO in Auckland - previous one had spent his Mid's time in Changi. Just one of a number of bizarre, counter-intuitive eye-openers packed into the usual five days.

10. There will always be brainwashed nut jobs in the world it just depends what cause they are fighting for. Most of it can be blamed on religion.

11. [​IMG]

The aircraft carrier HMS Victorious on fire after being struck by 3 kamikazes off Sakishima Gunto - Okinawa, May 9, 1945. 3 killed and 19 wounded from the 3 impacts. She was able to fly off planes 1 hour later and land planes 12 hours later. Fully back in action after 2 days.

12. I would have expected this correlation from a kamikaze attack :thumright:

RM

13. I don't think this was a brainwashing exercise: the Japanese were taught from the time of the old warlords, ronin and samurai etc, that to die in the service of their master was the highest honour and was in the true warrior tradition: with the Emperor being a god, well, what an honour. When the Japanese realised how deep in the dudu they were, they asked for VOLUNTEERS, and usually to a man, the units asked all volunteered - from what I can gather, stories of compulsory drafts to kamikaze units is just not true. The initial rules were no married men, no only sons, but these were later relaxed as the pool of pilots dried up. When you read some of the other kamikaze pilots letters, you'll see that most of them are in a similar vein. They were in a time of national crisis, and answered tha call as they were brought up to do. Secretly, I have a great deal more admiration for the kamikaze pilot than I have for any suicide bomber.

14. Dont they have a Kamikaze Pilots reunion club,not all died apparently.

There was the Jewish one who crashed his plane into his uncles scrapyard.

15. [quote="rod-gearing"]Dont they have a Kamikaze Pilots reunion club,not all died apparently.

There was the Jewish one who crashed his plane into his uncles scrapyard.[/quote]

You mean the Chicken Chow Mein Group

16. You mean the Chicken Chow Mein Group[/quote]

There was a documentary on BBC yonks ago where they have an annual reeunion at the Yasukuni Shrine, the majority being flyers whose turn hadn't yet come up, or those in "kamikaze administration". It's not a very good club though - one was shot gown and captured by the Elmers and spent the next 20 years trying to prove they had issued his death certificate in vain !

17. You proved my point your self Dirty
    That is just long term brainwashing. They volenteered because in their minds it was a noble thing to do because it had been inpressed on them since they were young. I have admiration for kamikazi pilots because they attacked military targets but I have no admiration and actually I totaly lothe the suicide bombers that attack civilian targets. If they wished to highlight their cause they would do it a lot better if they attacked military targets. Taking out civilians is easy and cowardly I have nothing but contempt for these terrorist scum.

18. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Then clearly you have only just begun to understand why, on an international basis, we have never been able to agree on the definition of a "Terrorist".

To each his own & all suicidal bombers believe their cause to be noble and deserved of redemption by their adopted & ultimately man-made Gods. Once we begin to accept that people believe so strongly in their ideals that whatever the atrocity, even if by anybody elses' standard is reprehensible, is also understandable, then maybe we can move forward.

19. Another reason not for launching nukes.

20. The kamikazes and those other Japanese who took part in suicidal banzai charges during WW II were serving military personnel, who wore a uniform, and were fighting in a conflict in which "war" was actually declared: the modern suicide bomber is NOT a member of a recognised military force in the manner in which we know, but merely a terrorist. As for long term brainwashing, sorry, I disagree - it's a ancient cultural and religious thing, long enshrined in their history. The suicide bomber is a modern concept that has no basis in any culture or religion worthy of the name.