Diversity and Snowflakes

I have deliberately placed this in Lil’s, so the responses (if any) don’t have to be closely vetted! The intention is not to be confrontational, but to promote discussion.

In a post yesterday, in response to an already long running family saga, I used an old and popular (at the time) submarine phrase to describe how low in the pecking order a person could be.

I was brought to table and lid was doffed (by pm) and apologies all round etc. I was told this was not due to a complaint, but to prevent there being a complaint, and I have absolutely no problem with that. The offending word did have an asterix or two in it, but was easily identifiable, mea culpa.

I know that ‘my Navy’ is in a lot of ways different to ’today’s Navy’ mainly because until fairly recently I was still working closely with today’s Navy. It will come as no surprise to hear that I have never had to attend a diversity course – just as well, as I may have had to go round again! For example, we had a young-ish female friend over from the UK and I referred to someone (in general) using a well known and still used phrase involving rags, she was astounded!

A LOT of common usage phrases, said without thinking or malice, are now deemed unsuitable for public consumption – I cite MP Anne Marie Morris’ recent innocent fuax pas as an example. We stiil talk about going out for a Chinky (meal) but I think that is no longer allowed?

I am not racist or homophobic, though have my own views about both. I was even married to a WREN (she WAS a WREN, blue badges and all!) only mentioned because of the popular, butnow seen as derogotary, name by which they were referred at the time. I have two sets of very good male couples who joke about being, dare I say it, p**** and q*****, and as I mentioned recently, went to a sausage party there! I have a good pal who is - well to be brutally honest, I haven’t got a clue as to how I can correctly describe him these days – sad hey? Let’s just say he had dreadlocks until recently and got picked on by the Guardia Civil.

Please don’t think of this as a flounce or a rant. I’m just sad that we cannot use some common words or phrases for fear of causing perceived offence. As a Scot I still get called some ‘offensive’ (?) names meh – water off a duck’s back, banter, whatever. It isn’t a skirt, it’s a kilt!

I’m pretty sure a couple of the ‘right on’ regulars will reply and flame me – don’t care! Is the name ‘Snowflake’ illegal yet? Any chance of a decent discussion without the thread being pulled?

Sorry for anyone who saw the phrase and was GENUINELY offended by my throw away remark in the post. That’s it – off for my medication now.

Email just appeared in my inbox:

You have been added as a Delegate to the following Course Session:

Course: Equality Essentials 2 (E&D)

Session Reference: E&D Essentials (post Oct 2010)

Please Note: You will receive an Email within the next 30 working days containing the links and logon details for this training.

Regards,

HR.net

Traminator

Lantern Swinger
I'm glad that the responses don't have to be vetted.

You wrote, and I quote ".... a nigg*r's dog" on the Internet, in public.

I am a neither a snowflake, "offended on anyone's behalf", a prude, or indeed any of the modern variations of thereof.

However what you wrote was frankly moronic, not just because of what you wrote, but also due to the fact that you think it acceptable to write it on a forum for a military service that is supposed to stand against that kind of racist and neanderthal thinking.

The fact that you used an asterisk shows that you know it's wrong.

Last edited:
G

guestm

I'm more offended at grown men using the term 'snowflake' to be honest. Default 'insult' for the alt-right teenager lit up on mountain dew and unfulfilled sexual fantasy.

That reminds me, no-one's complained about my avatar for a good while.

G

guestm

A LOT of common usage phrases, said without thinking or malice, are now deemed unsuitable for public consumption – I cite MP Anne Marie Morris’ recent innocent fuax pas as an example. We stiil talk about going out for a Chinky (meal) but I think that is no longer allowed?
Not really an innocent faux pas when you immediately follow it up with a statement where you admit to knowing it's wrong.

I am not racist or homophobic, though have my own views about both. I was even married to a WREN (she WAS a WREN, blue badges and all!) only mentioned because of the popular, butnow seen as derogotary, name by which they were referred at the time. I have two sets of very good male couples who joke about being, dare I say it, p**** and q*****, and as I mentioned recently, went to a sausage party there! I have a good pal who is - well to be brutally honest, I haven’t got a clue as to how I can correctly describe him these days – sad hey? Let’s just say he had dreadlocks until recently and got picked on by the Guardia Civil.
I'm not a racist but......
I have friends who......

Two starts to a sentence where you know exactly where a conversation is going.

Last edited by a moderator:

janner

MIA
Book Reviewer
I'm really offended by the fact that I had to look up what the term Snowflake meant, having read the definition I would like it known that I am offended on SB's behalf as well.

I used the term 'Irish Parliament' in the course of a discussion a couple of years ago and was stopped in my tracks by one person who asked me what it meant, and another who suggested "It sounds a bit racist". I accepted that persons view, as others seemed to agree with him. This took place in my home when we had guests over for wine and nibbles.

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
I guess we're all guilty of prejudices at some level, some of them we are unaware of, some we choose to ignore because we don't think it is actually offensive.

There are those from my Dad's generation, and younger, who pretty much tick all the boxes with regard overt racism, sexism, bigotry, homophobia, xenophobia, anti-semitism, etc.

I guess I'm guilty for not always bothering to engage in a heated debate with an 85 year old, trying to "educate" (patronise) him on what is and isn't viewed acceptable and why or indeed why he should care about it when no-one bothered for over seventy years. Likewise their prejudices were largely inherited from their parents or grandparents, who probably had doubts about the wisdom regarding the abolition of slavery or suchlike.

What is interesting is how many young people are overtly prejudiced about something or other, but think it acceptable because their parents pass on their prejudices whilst they are brought up.

I have no idea as to what in today's parlance a Snowflake is and can't be arsed to find out. When you've spent 60 odd years speaking your mother tongue in it's infinite variety it is sometimes difficult to avoid coming out with something that offends however unintentionally. The acceptable boundaries seem to change on an almost daily basis with once common words being condemned to the haunted wing of the OED and other words being hijacked and being used in hitherto untried areas
I was going to supply examples to demonstrate my case but it may have caused offence so I will leave it to the reader to make up their own.

There appears to be several interpretations of the phrase "snowflake", but the one which I am most acquainted with is a "pejorative" term relating to the millennial generation ie those teens and twenty-somethings which we as a generation have nurtured.

"Snowflake" is used as a metaphor to describe a generation of overly sensitive (liberal) kids who have been raised to believe in their own uniqueness and individualism, yet fail to equipped with the resilience needed to confront and withstand the challenges of the real world.

So, rather than shape up and develop the moral character needed, they instead insist upon adopting a censorious approach of seeking protection from those things that they consider to be "extreme".

Examples of this mentality in action have included lectures from people such as Peter Tatchell and Germaine Greer being boycotted, on the grounds of students seeking a safe-space from these people and their "extremist" views.

My brother who has a particularly good way of describing this, "as unique as a snowflake floating in the sky, but only to melt as soon as they hit the ground!".

Is it a generalisation; undoubtedly. But there must be some basis for it.

If it is a product of political correctness running amok, we could have real problems looking ahead.

My concern is that if they can't grow up and get a sense of perspective, then as a society we're all going to be in dire straits, the minute we are confronted with an enemy which regards such notions as irrelevant and self-indulgent.

And if we are all absorbed with tip-toeing around and being keen not to step on other people's sensitive toes, we may just miss the ugly b*gger who comes along and seriously beats us up....