Divers find German WW1 submarine "U40"

Discussion in 'Submariners' started by ditdahditdah, Mar 30, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Didn't the Kriegsmarine protest that setting traps for U-Boots wasn't cricket?

2. Ask Nutty,he was there :lol:

3. Apparently they didn't seem too worried about machine gunning merchant sailers and RN for that matter in the water after their vessels had been sunk.....wouldn't say that was cricket either....

4. I'd avoid re-opening that can of worms lest someone cites the actions of 'Crap' Miers.

5. Or the two BARALONG incidents of WWI, where the skipper was a submariner. Only happened once in WWII - U852 & the Greek PELEUS, and several of the U-Boat crew were executed/jailed for war crimes.

6. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

There were two sides to the Baralong business, the story is not as straightforward as Herbert's detractors always make out.

The story of the Baralong, and also that of the Taranaki (with C24 and U40) and other Q-ships can be read up in detail in 'Smoke and Mirrors', Debprah Lake, Sutton Publlishing 2006.

7. I cant wait to do my PADI course on instructor, I will be trying for jobs like these guys, seems bloody interesting!

8. For Naval Gazer and Isdirty: Thanks lads, but I thought it was 'Gamp' Miers ?