Diver Medical

Chilliman90

Midshipman
hi guys

Apologies if this is in the wrong section , I'd like to go down the diving route some time soon , I'm in the Army currently but I'm guessing the Army diver medical is to the same standard as the navy diver .

If anyone has had a diver medical could you talk me through it , that would be appreciated.

Also has anyone done diver selection?

If so what does it involve?

Had a look online but id like the info first hand.

Cheers

Last edited:

Waspie

War Hero
I'm sure as soon as a diver that can read AND write is along they will answer your questions. In the mean time, have a gander using the search function at the top right of the home page.
Good luck and (laughs), don't hold your breath!!!! Sorry - couldn't resist!!

fishhead

War Hero
@Chilliman90 I am not or have I ever been a naval diver but I have read recent reports on the topic of RN Diver. There has always been a good wait for Direct Entry divers but a recent poster informed us that at present they have stopped recruiting direct and instead are offering a chance to join in another branch with a view to transferring at a later date. How this would effect your aspirations to transfer from the Army I have no idea but it may make it more difficult.

Chilliman90

Midshipman
@Chilliman90 I am not or have I ever been a naval diver but I have read recent reports on the topic of RN Diver. There has always been a good wait for Direct Entry divers but a recent poster informed us that at present they have stopped recruiting direct and instead are offering a chance to join in another branch with a view to transferring at a later date. How this would effect your aspirations to transfer from the Army I have no idea but it may make it more difficult.
Thanks mate

I'll have another look online but if anyone else has any first hand information that would be great , the only thing I'd be worried about is I wear glasses but I have contacts that I use too.

Chilliman90

Midshipman
I'm sure as soon as a diver that can read AND write is along they will answer your questions. In the mean time, have a gander using the search function at the top right of the home page.
Good luck and (laughs), don't hold your breath!!!! Sorry - couldn't resist!!

Haha thanks buddy !

SONAR-BENDER

War Hero
I dive and wear glasses as do lots of others, however, not sure about the CDs as they do a bit more than just diving.....

Waspie

War Hero
Guys, a friend on FB said the 'ships diver' qualification has gone. As in, no more!
Any truth?

Guys, a friend on FB said the 'ships diver' qualification has gone. As in, no more!
Any truth?
Went a long time ago - I was on one of the very last courses in ‘02.

And the cause then was because DDS instructors managed to kill one instructee, and the other one died shortly after their course.

ETA - the current cause of suspension of diving training.

Of note, from page 55 it outlines how and why Ship’s Divers stopped.

For full awareness, Dave Christie was an oppo of mine.

Waspie

War Hero
Went a long time ago - I was on one of the very last courses in ‘02.

And the cause then was because DDS instructors managed to kill one instructee, and the other one died shortly after their course.

ETA - the current cause of suspension of diving training.

Of note, from page 55 it outlines how and why Ship’s Divers stopped.

For full awareness, Dave Christie was an oppo of mine.
Thank you for that. I'll have a read of the link later.
My oppo. was one of the old SARD's who prior to that was, and I guess remained, a ships diver even after going aircrew!!

soleil

War Hero
hi guys

Apologies if this is in the wrong section , I'd like to go down the diving route some time soon , I'm in the Army currently but I'm guessing the Army diver medical is to the same standard as the navy diver .

If anyone has had a diver medical could you talk me through it , that would be appreciated.

Also has anyone done diver selection?

If so what does it involve?

Had a look online but id like the info first hand.

Cheers
Chilliman90

I'm assuming that you are a diver in the Army.

It might be worthwhile speaking to the RN Careers Advisors who cover the AFCO closest to you to verify what the situation might be re transferring as a fully-trained diver in the Army to the equivalent position in the Navy.

If such a transfer wouldn't be possible for two or three years, it's probably best for you to have the chapter and verse now, so that you can plan other areas of your life.

Which city/large town would cover your area?

Last edited:

Chilliman90

Midshipman
Chilliman90

I'm assuming that you are a diver in the Army.

It might be worthwhile speaking to the RN Careers Advisors who cover the AFCO closest to you to verify what the situation might be re transferring as an already fully-trained diver in the Army to the equivalent position in the Navy.

If such a transfer wouldn't be possible for two or three years, it's probably best for you to have the chapter and verse now, so that you can plan other areas of your life.

Which city/large town would cover your area?
Hi buddy

I'm not an Army Diver , my plan is to transfer to Royal Engineers and try to get an Army Divers course, with the long term outlook of potentially transferring later down the line.

Hi buddy

I'm not an Army Diver , my plan is to transfer to Royal Engineers and try to get an Army Divers course, with the long term outlook of potentially transferring later down the line.
Be aware there is nearly zero cross over in terms of skills from RE diving to RN diving. You'd be starting again.

RE Diving is a continuation of RE tasks below the water: construction and search. Mainly surface fed, although there is some scuba style diving. It is a secondary task for all involved.

RN diving is nearly all scuba diving, concentrating on mine countermeasures and EOD. Can be much deeper, is much more technical diving and is the primary job of all involved.

Chilliman90

Midshipman
RE Diving is a continuation of RE tasks below the water: construction and search. Mainly surface fed, although there is some scuba style diving. It is a secondary task for all involved.

RN diving is nearly all scuba diving, concentrating on mine countermeasures and EOD. Can be much deeper, is much more technical diving and is the primary job of all involved.
Thanks buddy ill try get more info on the medical if I can , thanks for your help.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Hanginout1664 Diver Medical Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
R Royal Navy Diver Medical Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 7
D Mine Clearance Diver Application Process, Dive Medical. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 6
M Mine Clearance Diver Medical ? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 14
G Medical Problems Clearance Diver Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 34
soleil Scuba Diver Mag: "Heart of Oak – On Board The Royal Navy’s HMS Richmond" The Fleet 0
U Choice of Base (Diver/Marines) Joining the Royal Navy 8
C Mine Clearance Diver - Glasses/Contact Lenses Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 11
M Mine Clearance Diver Entry Joining the Royal Navy 3
D Clearance Diver Deployments Joining the Royal Navy 1
R Transfer from RM to Navy Diver UPO/Careers Office 3
S No diver recruitment?? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
Kiwi33 Re Join question. Failed Diver trying something different. Joining the Royal Navy 2
M mine clearance diver Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
BreathingOutOnTheWayUp QGM for Killick Diver The Fleet 1
B Royal navy mine clearance diver Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
F Diver to PTI Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
V Ex RAF > Diver (timeframe?) Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 42
J Mine Clearance Diver Eyesight Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
SONAR-BENDER Conshelf 20 - Diver or Diver's Yeo question Diamond Lil's 2
T Joint as a Royal Navy Clarence Diver Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 7
S Day to day life for a Clearance Diver? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
D PRNC for potential MC Diver Health & Fitness 3
GreedoTheFerret Yet another clearance diver thread... Sorry Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 7
B RNR~WarSea or Diver?!?! Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 9
D Applying for mine clearance diver Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 16
BFRS CSWIP 3.2U - NDT Inspection Diver - Middlesbrough The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 0
Harry_Von_Scrinse Strange Diver Patch History 4
C Royal Navy Mine Clearence DIver Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 9
U RN Mine Clearance Diver - PDA Dates Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
J Service length for a diver Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 6
S Mine Clearance Diver fitness pass marks. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
C Transfer aet to diver Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
C Branded transfer Aet to diver The Fleet 5
S Mine Clearance Diver Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
P RN Diver Shortages Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
L Mine clearance diver Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 8
C Experience as a mine clearance diver. The Fleet 6
B Mine Clearance Diver Hours? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 22
C Mine clearance diver physical fitness. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
soleil Pompey News: "Royal Naval Medic Becomes The First To Pass Diver Course" Bases / Shore Est 0
C Royal Navy clearance diver Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 48
soleil Herald: "Diver Calls On Devonport Naval Base To Stop Dumping 'Toxic Sludge'" Bases / Shore Est 0
S Ships Diver Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
D Mine Clearance Diver - a few questions Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 62
J Navy diver The Gash Barge 8
L Royal navy diver Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
soleil Mail: "RN Diver's Logbook Offers Fascinating Insight Into Life On WW1 Submarine" Submariners 0
R RN- Mine Clearance Diver The Quarterdeck 7
SONAR-BENDER A diver in the kack. Diamond Lil's 5