Dithering leadership

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by finknottle, Feb 23, 2011.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. 2030 While 'Shandy Man' and his cabinet faff about the rest of Europe and Turkey are well on the way to getting their nationals out of Libya. There is one aircraft at Gatwick which as yet has not taken off due to technical faults and one in Italy that has also not left the ground. The French used military aircraft which would be difficult for us as we hardly have any. Sod having this lot in charge in a tight spot as they sit round that table umming and arring.
  2. Cheese with your whine Fink!!!
  3. And the ITV news reported that a charter jet was on the pan loading passengers as they were on air.

Nice try finks.
  4. Purple_twiglet

Purple_twiglet War Hero Moderator

Funnily enough, a hell of a lots going on behind the scenes. Just because things aren't on Sky NOW, doesnt mean things aren't happening. I've got a pretty good idea of whats been going on over the past few days, and its fair to say that theres been feck all dithering, its just that the sort of things going on don't need to be broadcast for the world to see.

Having done a lot of crises with the last bunch of clowns in power, who would look for 'the angle' or 'the headline' for anything, I far prefer the current 'get on with it and to hell with the news headlines' approach being adopted by the current mob.
  5. P-T,

The view from an arm chair has never prevented the OP from passing judgement, why should it now?

Besides, the outrage bus doesn't do evacuations, does it? :wink:
  6. Finks, when is your birthday? I may send you a record token so you can buy a new one.
  7. =-(=-( Not so.... The bird on newsnight roasted the minister:winkrazz: BBC - BBC Two Programmes - Newsnight
  8. Did the last government not fanny around for a few days before it sent Ocean the FEW miles across the channel during "Operation Volcano"?
    Does not divert from the dithering this lot are doing.
  9. I would concur with PT. There has been no dithering.

I'll leave it at that.

10. Not so much dithering as lack of specific information and limited resources restricting the options available. At almost any other time during the past 60 odd years, the RN could have generated a package of LPH/LPD with their Royal Marines and helos, utilitarian frigates, and one or two carriers providing top cover giving the ability to extract our people from almost any country on the planet à la Sierra Leone. We might even have had the intelligence and forward-thinking available to have these forces pre-deployed off the coast as soon as things started to turn ugly. They would have been a useful ace in the hole even if they hadn't been necessary. Now, all we can do is provide a frigate en route to the scrapyard after its third deployment East of Suez in as many years.

Incidentally, here is the latest state of play regarding international evacuations: Libya Evacuation Efforts
  11. Anyone else notice that the loudest complainer was a Jock oil worker.
    Whats the odds that he has been working in the oil industry for years without paying any UK tax.
    Come any problems these ex pats are always the first to cry for assistance.
  12. Purple_twiglet

Purple_twiglet War Hero Moderator

While its easy to feel terribly manly and say 'lets send the entire RN complete with LPH / LPDs etc', a more sensible approach might be to look at what other countries are doing, and compare. No other nation is sending an LPD etc because there is no need. There are these funny things called Aeroplanes, and they tend to be jolly good at evacuations.

There are other options too, which don't require the entirety of 3 Cdo Bde to rock up, and these seem to be doing the job.

Has anyone else noticed that the US has not seen fit to dispatch an MEU or CVBG to the scene for similar reasons - mainly because it doesnt need one to be there?
  13. According to Hague on Ch 4 BA and BMI changed their minds about the flights leaving the Government at a bit of a loss.
    I'll await the flood of Gadafi's pals to this country as refugees and we are bound by law to take them even with their murderous pasts.
    Still I reckon the Lockerbie bomber will be asking to go back to Barlinnie nick,he had it made there,now he's in the shit as one of Gadafi's pals and according to reports from his security ministers,Gadafi organised the bombing.
    Good riddance to rubbish.
    His terrorist pals will support him.
  14. At least one has sent a damned big ferry though - see my link above!
    It has to be faced that the UK simply does not have the capacity to assist in a substantial way; whether that be military or civil assistance.
    All has been cut so fine, so close to the bone, that there is little or no leeway. If there are spare aircraft around then will they have crews? etc etc etc..
  15. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Anyway, what is the deal with people in Libya being so angry with Carlos Santana? :?
  16. Reminds me of yonks ago on the Hermes that nasty spat in Cyprus, and taking off civilians. We took off various nationalities including then Soviet citizens.
    They were accommodated as best we could on the fairly short trip to Malta. The only nationality to kick of in the usual vicious and spiteful and ungrateful manner - need you guess!!
    Sod 'em...they got short shrift then and I hope they get short shrift now.
    Learn a little civility etc (as the Soviet citizens had in bucketfulls) and you may get a little better treated.
    I honestly can't think things have changed much and Brit expats as a genre are pretty gash in any case.
  17. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Hang about - it's getting serious now. :shock:

Apparently sources have seen Gazza getting onto a plane at Heathrow, armed with his fishing rod and six-pack of beer! More breaking news here.

:oops: :wink:
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2011
  18. Hehe! Love that..
    It always beats me when this kind of thing happens, the 'we must get back home' mentality. If they were so fond of the place then why did they leave in the first place!
  19. Well I rest my case as Shandy Man and Billy Vague have both apologised for the lash up.