Distinction Cloth?

Discussion in 'The Quarterdeck' started by fishface, Jan 18, 2012.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. fishface

fishface Badgeman Book Reviewer

Basically I was having a chin wag with my old man about whether the mob should bring back distinction cloth for Officers cuffs(beyond the current medical and dental ones).

Was curious to whether anyone else has an opinion?

2. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

Distinction cloth went under AFO 1/56, the intention being to make the RN officer corps more 'all of one company', including giving non-execs the same chance to command shore establishments.

3. Guns

Guns War Hero Moderator

Yes they should. And we should also review the executive curl and letting them in the Wardroom.

4. fishface

fishface Badgeman Book Reviewer

Sarcasm? :D

Just had the idea of it being a bit like a 'branch badge' for an officer. Was just thinking aloud really.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2012
  5. Having served on RFA's, whose officers still have it, I think we should, makes life a lot easier when you don't know who an officer is by face but you can recognise their branch!

Maybe a stupid question but why did medical and dental get to keep theirs?

6. No, bad idea.

7. Because the Medical and Dental Officers were not considered by AFO 1/56, and thus the reforms did not effect them. The same for the Royal Corp of Naval Constructors (grey distinction cloth).

8. Does it really matter if you don't recognise the officer ? It is the Queen's commission you are saluting and not the wearer or his/her branch .
    Having the distinction would only make the officer's uniform more colourful .. could it be considered that the branch badges for JR/SR should be in the colour of the branch, ie Green for Leccies, Purple/Mauve for Engineers , White for Supply etc - do not the US Navy follow something like this for trade ident ?
    :)

9. Why?

And, why?

10. Guns

Guns War Hero Moderator

Because you may end up speaking to a Loggy when you needed to talk to a proper officer............

• Like Like x 2
  11. I'm not on about saluting an officer, I'm on about trying to find an officer who I don't know, at least if I knew what branch said officer is I will be better able to recognise them.

12. Guns

Guns War Hero Moderator

Ahh but now we have DII, JPA and online search facilities. What need is there for the Loggies.................

13. I think it's a gash idea. If you need to look at the colours on your arm to remember which part of ship to turn to on, you have no place as an Officer in the RN.

Also, given the fact that most people wear name badges with their job written beneath their name these days, what's the point?

Lt Choddington-Foreskin-Crumb
    DWEO

14. Point taken, apols.
    But I believe that someone else here has advised that staff usually wear name badges these days - they also did so when I served a few years (cough !! ;) ) ago. (Edited to add: Or black print on white tape above the right No 8 shirt pocket as we used to.
    Part of the joining routine was too acquaint yourself with the officer command structure, even up to the Admiral Commanding plus his decorations and awards !! Even a lowly Loggie Officer was, at times, present on the bridge for watch duties in a couple of the ships I served in.

:)

Last edited: Jan 19, 2012

15. Just stop. Please.

16. In these times where the Andrew is one of the top gay employers, who would wear pink?

17. That must have a been a long time ago, I think you'll find it's above the left breast pocket.

18. :oops: ......... should've rinsed the grey cells with some bubbly to get the memories working ..... how could I forget that - as it took ages to unpick the red silk stitching, a la GSpot, on arrival at Pembroke (Mater helped though, as I lived locally .. ;) )

19. You were looking at a photo or in a mirror?

20. Nope .... just cocking up as usual, as Mrs WM would say !! :)