Displeasurable Dunker Disaster

Discussion in 'The Fleet Air Arm' started by oneredpanther, Oct 18, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Evening chaps,
    Like most of us I'm sure, the thought of the Dunker gives me the willies (figuratively, not sexually).

After experimenting in the swimming pool I have decided that I am completely unable to remain upside down in the water without excruciating sinus pain. And when I say painful I mean completely debilitating for a good five minutes after the traumatic experience. I cannot seem to overcome the pain of the water entering my sinuses and my automatic response is to surface instantly.

Is this normal or do I have some sort of extreme oversensitivity in the sinus region? I cannot understand for a second how anyone is capable of performing handstands or flips underwater, let alone enduring the dunker experience.

Thanks for your responses. In the two days I have been lurking here I can honestly say I've never come across a more informative or welcoming forum.

2. chieftiff

chieftiff War Hero Moderator

You aren't the only one! The dunker used to be a nightmare for me, I can't dive or swim more than about a metre under the water before getting huge pain in my sinuses and ears! The guys at the dunker used to let me wear a nose clip but it didn't really help, luckily I only had to requal 2 or 3 times.
  3. I don't like it when th biscuit falls to bits, and you end up with sludge in the bottom of your mug. (sorry, wrong dunker)
  4. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

And Hitler didn't like them either...

Ooh, D-unker... 8O
  5. Looks like I'm not the right "dunker" either... :D
  6. Forget what I said about 'informative'. :D
  7. Am I one of the few on here that actually enjoyed doing dunker drills?
  8. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Slim: Yes! :thumbright:
  9. watched it once on "Blue Peter"
  10. The dunker just scares the crap outta me, I get more and more wound up the closer the due date comes! Then when it's finally over I ask myself why was I so worried - wierd
  11. Having done it both in the old Vernon tower and at Yeovilton, I have to say the Yeovilton experience is easier to enjoy, if only because the water is warmer. If there's anyone who believes that it's not worth the effort, I remember talking to a former destroyer CO, who escaped from an Italian helo that flipped into the water on takeoff. His opposite number from the Italian ship didn't escape and died in the cab, but he had never done any drills.
  12. loved dunker
  13. No excruciating sinus pain from anyone apart from chieftiff then?
    Will I be allowed to wear a noseclip if I explain the situation?
  14. When you did your swimming pool experiments did you try it with a noseclip?

Personally, I've always enjoyed the dunker trainer!
  15. Can you 'pop' your ears ??

Blow into your nose with your fingers pinching the nostrils. Your ears will
    pressurise stop blowing remove nose block and swallow --your ears should clear. If not you may have an ear/sinus problem.

Try doing the same in the water ----and with a nose clip

:nemo: :nemo:
  16. Changes in pressure shouldn't really give you sinus pain, I would see a doctor. If it is any consolation, just be thankful you don't have to do THE TANK if putting your head under water is painful, just think what putting it 100ft under water would be like.
  17. No, I enjoyed it to! always a bit nervous beforehand, but by the end wanting to go around again! Especially enjoyed doing it with STASS, as I used to have, when in the Sea King Mock up and had to escape through the LH Pilots window having been strapped into aft crew seat- marvellous!
  18. There's a Surg Lt Cdr currently doing a study into the dunker and the number of people who are off flying for days after because of sinus related problems. He is randomly selecting people to wear nose clips and then collating feedback reports. Not sure what the outcome will be, but maybe it will become the norm to wear a clip when doing the dunker in future.
  19. Sinusitus used to be called the swimmers disease, and as an occasional sufferer it is not a nice thing, you get very weak very fast.
  20. I recall doing the dunker at YVL once where the LAC sat next to me panicked as soon as we went into the water and unbuckled himself, this made me panic and so I followed suit. We both went for the window at the same time and wedged each other in the hole, it was so funny.