Disharmony

dapperdunn

War Hero
Book Reviewer
After the events of the last few months, are we not allowed to have an opposing view nor challenge statements made by members?

As soon as a dissenting voice is heard, then there is a threat to 'lock the thread' a threat that was consequently carried out and a thread some were contributing to was closed down.

In another couple of threads, members have mentioned that this is not the place for disagreements and a thread has been started, on politics, and no arguments are allowed. How on earth can you have a meaningful discussion without people holding opposite views?

i thought that this was a discussion board.

Dredd

War Hero
Super Moderator
i thought that this was a discussion board.

It is, and you can.

The problem was that with fewer members and hence active Mods the situation you refer to was able to get out of hand. There have been recent changes made that will address it to some extent but obviously being a bit more active as a board would be beneficial all round. What would be good would be more members being more active and this in turn will need more Mods to manage it, but even ARRSE isn't awash with them.

The site rules are there for all to see:

There is banter, and there is abuse. This can often be a fine line and the Mod is encouraged to have a quiet word first, so the member can take action themselves before we get anywhere near locking threads and banning call-signs. The thread you refer to was a continuation of an unpleasant episode that we are trying to recover from and since the members involved are now re-instated or left then we need to move on.

Healthy debate is good and to have that there need to be opposing viewpoints. Obsession is unhealthy. Just play within the really basic rules and we are all going to get along. Arguing your case logically and with passion is expected, but ad hominems will attract the attention of the Mods and be dealt with.

If anyone has a specific problem they can report a post or PM a Mod for a clarification and possible action. Raising threads on the open Forum for all can see when this would be the more appropriate means of dealing with an issue will potentially lead to it being locked or removed but that is our last resort, not first. And if a Mod (and this includes a Super-Mod) is being seen to be over-stepping their authority you can report them to the COs directly if you want - as it is their site then they have the final authority in everything on the site. There was a problem with that before but the changes should have addressed this now.

If anyone had a problem with me personally I would expect them to have the decency to approach me first but I am fully aware that if this does not result in a satisfactory conclusion then it can be reported upwards - and if my actions should warrant it then it is perfectly reasonable to by-pass me and report direct. I would expect individual members to do similar with each other and if that doesn't work then report to Mods, rather than wait for the heavy hand of authority to clasp their shoulders.

We want to run tight but happy ship and this only works if we are all pulling in the same direction.

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
I closed the thread you refer to as it was just becoming an argument between two members and was going nowhere, exchanging insults is not a debate IMHO. As for the political thread you mention I see that as an extension of the political bollocks thread and pretty pointless tbh.

Happy for any subject to be discussed as I believe the other Mods are, it's just when it gets to mud slinging that it needs reigning in.

SONAR-BENDER

War Hero
Great responses from the new guys!

Is there a chance of the great unwashed being advised of the 'new processes'? As it was before, there was no avenue of complaint/address as one guy was in charge of everything, hence the need to by-pass the system and go direct to Good/Bad CO. I know this!

Has Blackrat gone back into his cellar or is he still a Mod?

Dredd

War Hero
Super Moderator
Great responses from the new guys!

Is there a chance of the great unwashed being advised of the 'new processes'? As it was before, there was no avenue of complaint/address as one guy was in charge of everything, hence the need to by-pass the system and go direct to Good/Bad CO. I know this!

Has Blackrat gone back into his cellar or is he still a Mod?

The process has not changed as such, but the problem you refer to is addressed by having two Super-Mods now and we are going to work as a team (yes, I know, the path to hell and all that). There are individual Mods in various bits but they need to introduce themselves as not all are active. If they have the Mod tag then they should actively moderate in their area of responsibility. Our role is to step in where needed - some actions may need a prompt decision and we are comfortable that we will do so fairly and appropriately, but if we can we will discuss and agree it first.

The complaint process is not long or complicated. Your first option is report an individual post, or PM the Mod (if known). If that does not work, PM a Super-Mod. If that doesn't work (or the Super-Mod/s are the problem), PM the COs. Their decision is final.

Simples.jpg

janner

MIA
Book Reviewer
A good first step would be to remove the Mod tags from those who no longer visit the site, there would seem to be a lot of them.

fishhead

War Hero
The secret of a good argument is to treat each other with respect even when you completely disagree. Most of us who regularly contribute are well able to find a way of expressing our disagreement without resorting to name calling and thereby flaring the conversation. i.e. No slagging off!

The secret of a good argument is to treat each other with respect even when you completely disagree. Most of us who regularly contribute are well able to find a way of expressing our disagreement without resorting to name calling and thereby flaring the conversation. i.e. No slagging off!
All of the above, and for me as I get older, in my 70's now, life's to friggin short....:)

Latest Threads